Canon 1.4x Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Romulus
k k ... thanks. So i go ask for the Canon 1.4x MkII Extender? Is that how it's referred to?

heh.. sorry. newbie lah...

What Lens do you want to use with it ?

Not all EF Lens are compatible with the Canon 1.4x MkII Extender

k k ... thanks. So i go ask for the Canon 1.4x MkII Extender? Is that how it's referred to?

heh.. sorry. newbie lah...

It's said that in terms of optics Mk I and Mk II are no different, with the former selling cheaper...maybe $400-500?

I have an EF 75-300 IS USM. Is that okay?

I suggest you bring it with it to try when you buy the Canon 1.4x Extender

I have an EF 75-300 IS USM. Is that okay?

I'm sorry to disappoint you that the Canon TCs are not compatible with quite a number of EF lenses and one of them is the one that you've mentioned. You may want to consider 3rd party ones from Kenko or Tamron. From the reviews that I've seen so far, they appeared to be very credible performers.

Safe to say that Canon TC's are meant for the more expensive L lenses. So your 75-300 IS is definitely out. Even then, not all of the L's can use it. You can check it out from Canon lens brochures.

The Mk II is better constructed in terms of sealing it from the elements.

Huh... Juz curious: How come you decide to place your consideration by buying a TC first, then decide on the lens that will fit it? What do you want to shoot?

oic...If you are really serious about bird or animal photography, you should consider one of the L lenses with a 300mm or more focal length . IS will be an added bonus too. The 100-400 is a favourite. Yah not cheap but only if you are serious and also want high quality images.

The aperture of your 75-300 is f/4.5-5.6. By the time you add the 1.4 extender, your aperture drops to f/8. Viewfinder will be relatively dark and AF may be a problem too. Moreover, the image quality of the 75-300 is already pretty soft at the longer end. Adding an extender (if a 3rd party one is indeed available) might degrade the image further.

If you're serious about acquiring a fine Canon telephoto zoom, you may want to wait for a while (anyway you'll time to save the $$ unless you're rich!)...I have a feeling that the rumoured EF 200-400mm f/4 DO IS USM will be making the appearance soon...by then you'd either get that or pick up a used 100-400mm!

Status
Not open for further replies.