Cannot get high shutter speed in Av Mode?

HVB88

Dec 9, 2005
When using 550D + 135L (in Av mode; auto iso), the shutter speed is about 1/200.

But when I mounted STE2, the speed reduced dramatically to 1/15 for the same lighting.
Did I miss something? Anybody can explain this?

Thanks!

was flash switched on???

I did not ON the external flash.

The purpose mounting STE2 is to get a better AF assist (?) in low light. CMIIW.

i think when you mount the STE@, the metal lever at the hotshoe got depressed
and the camera might have treated it as a flash and hence disable higher shutter speeds

well i'm guessing as well , so correct me if i am wrong

Maybe I am wrong too..

it may be the camera recognise there isnt any flash and when use Av mode(auto), the camera might choose the right shutter speed to work with the aperture chosen.

BTW how can u change shutter speed if you are on Av mode? U only can change Aperture value and EV compensation

I am using Auto ISO. The camera will set the minimum shutter speed automatically (about 1/200 for lens 135L).

Is it because of Auto ISO? I understand if we set auto ISO in M Mode, the camera will set the iso (fixed) to 400.

anyway, when I shoot without STE2, (Av mode; auto ISO; f/2.0), shutter speed is 1/200 and the cam set the iso automatic to 6400.

go to flash control and disable flash firing, or you can switch on the HSS button on st-e2

Unless otherwise needed, i will not use auto ISO.

Any reason Bro?

For me, this is one of the important features. It will adjust your shutter speed to reduce the hand shake. Also, the ISO will be adjusted in 1/3 stop (instead of 1 stop if you use normal setting). With this, I can concentrate on the aperture (no need to worry about blur due to the hand shake).

go to flash control and disable flash firing, or you can switch on the HSS button on st-e2

I wil try this.

Thanks for sharing Bro.

Any reason Bro?

For me, this is one of the important features. It will adjust your shutter speed to reduce the hand shake. Also, the ISO will be adjusted in 1/3 stop (instead of 1 stop if you use normal setting). With this, I can concentrate on the aperture (no need to worry about blur due to the hand shake).

Not really useful, since the 1/3 stop increments in ISO are either pushed or pulled from full ISO stops in-camera. Just set your ISO accordingly, then focus on the aperture.