Cannot do it with Nikon 5400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolliPoP

Apr 1, 2005
Somewhere
Hi all,

I'm trying to capture an object with blur background.
I'm using NIKON CoolPix 5400. Even i've used largest
aperture F2.8 in Macro mode, 1.5m distance, I still
cannot achive a blur background. Why? My camera
cannot do it or I got it wrong? Pls help...

eh it normally doesnt work on compacts.....run a search...been asked a number of times....

Hi,

Compacts are not really meant for good bokeh......blur background....

Suggest u upgrade to DSLR like D70 with 50mm f1.8.....you will be impressed...

However, if u r thinking of selling Coolpix 5400?? Pls msg me...as i am seriously looking at buying the cam...if price is rite..

Thkq :)

I manage to get it (difficult) with coolpix8700, u try to zoom to max, and make sure the back ground is relatively far, coolpix5400 have very similar functions, so should work...but difficult.
15936flower_and_thorn.jpg

have fun trying....$0.02 from another newbie

LolliPoP said:
Hi all,

Hi hi,
I use the 5400 too.

It is possible to achieve that blur background look under certain conditions. From my own experience, they are
1) F2.8 - in Aperture Priority mode
2) Macro mode
3) Focus on object close to camera

I would have shown you some of my pics that I've taken with that effect but I don't seem to be able (or maybe dunno how to) attach pictures to this post.

hobbesyeo, just follow the guide on the 1st thread of the newbie corner. :)

LolliPoP said:
Hi all,

One of my pics to show that it can be done!
17723Flower.JPG

LolliPoP said:
Hi all,

can be done as mentioned above.
you subject has to be close to your camera and the background far away from the subject.

look at eikin's gallery for examples.
he uses a Nikon P&S as well.

Yet another pic to show it can be done.
17723Fields-med.JPG

I've also only recently learnt how to use the Apeture priority mode. 5400 seems to be able to produce quite good closeup pictures with nice blury backgrounds.

I'm still trying to see if portraits with blury backgrounds can be done. :)

JH_KLU said:
I manage to get it (difficult) with coolpix8700, u try to zoom to max, and make sure the back ground is relatively far, coolpix5400 have very similar functions, so should work...but difficult.

have fun trying....$0.02 from another newbie

same same... at least it seems the 8700 can get bokeh... hard, but possible

How about using your focal length? ;)

Hi, just a guideline on how to throw the background off-focus.

Three main variables that u can manipulate are:
1)Lens-to-subject distance
2)Focal Length Used
3)Aperture

1) What u want to do is go as close as possible to the subject that your lens can focus to. Hence, the macro mode helps you get in closer.

2) The rule of thumb with the lens focal length, is that the longer the length you utilise, the less depth-of-field you'll get, so if you really want to throw the background out of focus, use the longest focal length your camera can give u.

3) Finally aperture, as you would know, a smaller f-stop or bigger aperture would give you less DOF, and hence a more out of focus background in relation to your subject to lens distance.

Ok, so that's basically it, so you want a really really really shallow depth of field, combine all these three together, a close subject to lens distance, longest focal length and largest aperture..would really throw your background out of focus... hope this helps... =)

Patryk said:

2)Focal Length Used
3)Aperture

1) What u want to do is go as close as possible to the subject that your lens can focus to. Hence, the macro mode helps you get in closer.

2) The rule of thumb with the lens focal length, is that the longer the length you utilise, the less depth-of-field you'll get, so if you really want to throw the background out of focus, use the longest focal length your camera can give u.

3) Finally aperture, as you would know, a smaller f-stop or bigger aperture would give you less DOF, and hence a more out of focus background in relation to your subject to lens distance.

Ok, so that's basically it, so you want a really really really shallow depth of field, combine all these three together, a close subject to lens distance, longest focal length and largest aperture..would really throw your background out of focus... hope this helps... =)

Excellent. :)
On a final note, Photoshop can also simulate lens blur. ;)

Patryk said:

2)Focal Length Used
3)Aperture

Hi hi,

I understand points 1 and 3, but I'm a little hazy on 2. :dunno:

When you say use the longest focal length, how do you do that? Is it to "zoom in" or "zoom out" (relative to the object in focus)?

Thanks! :D

Hobbesyeo said:
Hi hi,

I understand points 1 and 3, but I'm a little hazy on 2. :dunno:

When you say use the longest focal length, how do you do that? Is it to "zoom in" or "zoom out" (relative to the object in focus)?

Thanks! :D

zoom in~ ;)

Hobbesyeo, nice try, nice shoot!

Patryk, me a bit slow here. Focal Length means optical ZOOM function?

Shuttle is an issue to achieve a blur background??
Btw, i was shooting indoor, does it really matter?

Thks a lot.

Ai yah, i know what's focal length liao... Me very stupidito..:cool:
Will try it again, and again, and again...
More advice needed...

LolliPoP said:
Hobbesyeo, nice try, nice shoot!

Patryk, me a bit slow here. Focal Length means optical ZOOM function?

Shuttle is an issue to achieve a blur background??
Btw, i was shooting indoor, does it really matter?

Thks a lot.
it doesn't matter whether indoor or outdoor.
basically:
1. zoom all the way
2. open up the widest aperture
3. go as near as possible to the subject/object
4. orientate your angle so that you have the furthest distance between the subject and its background.

Background <---------- 2 meters ---------> Subject <- 10 cm -> Camera

shutter speed does not affect the result of a shallow DOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.