Cannon or Nikon system

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeper

Mar 25, 2005
Hi all,

I am now considering to buy a DSLR and it boils down to Cannon 350D / Nikon D70.
My concern is generally which system has more equipment choices (Original + 3rd party included) like lens (main factor), body(e.g. Sigma body with Nikkon lens), flash, etc from cheap ( and good ? ), moderate to expensive (and v good? ) so that I may upgrade along the way.

Currenlty, the plus point I give for each of the camera are:
D70
- Better body, with more easy direct setting access (e.g less deep sw menu driven )
- Better kit lens
- Cheaper , ard 1600++ with Kit Lens

350D
- Lighter
- Less noisy image
- 8MB ( i like tend to do alot of cropping/post processing)

Any advise ?

Dun shoot with Cannon :nono: dangerous

Ok jokes aside, it should be Canon.

the 350D is very small to my liking, have you hands on before? D70 feel very solid and of cos heavier. If you have big hand, you might prefer D70.

To me these are the physical different. Other then that, both are capable tools.

oh geez... :bsmilie:

first time dSLR user? so no lens, flash etc etc that u own that can sway ur brand preference?

if that's the case, i honestly feel you should just toss a coin.

becos, whichever system u choose, you will shoot equally well (as a beginner) or equally bad.

but if you ask ME, then personally, i choose the nikon system. :p

oh geez.... :bsmilie:

jimtong said:
Dun shoot with Cannon :nono: dangerous

Ok jokes aside, it should be Canon.

the 350D is very small to my liking, have you hands on before? D70 feel very solid and of cos heavier. If you have big hand, you might prefer D70.

To me these are the physical different. Other then that, both are capable tools.

any idea wats the street price of 350D currently ?

agreed with the fact that canon has less noise in the higher iso setting.. if i would to buy a DSLR now... i would be having a headache in choosing which system... but nikon flash is kinda cheaper... SB800 compare to the 580.

I was a canon but now a nikon.. haha =p

eugenep said:
agreed with the fact that canon has less noise in the higher iso setting.. if i would to buy a DSLR now... i would be having a headache in choosing which system... but nikon flash is kinda cheaper... SB800 compare to the 580.

I was a canon but now a nikon.. haha =p
well if u put it that way, a nikon lens is more expensive than a canon equivalent.

i think the cost is negligible over the long run, i mean it's not like lenses or flashes are consummables that u have to change very often.. or.. er.. then again.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

jOhO said:
oh geez... :bsmilie:

first time dSLR user? so no lens, flash etc etc that u own that can sway ur brand preference?

if that's the case, i honestly feel you should just toss a coin.

becos, whichever system u choose, you will shoot equally well (as a beginner) or equally bad.

but if you ask ME, then personally, i choose the nikon system. :p

oh geez.... :bsmilie:

care to elaborate the reason for the switch ?
during SLR to DSLR upgrade
or u dun like ur lens in white ? ;P

sweeper said:
care to elaborate the reason for the switch ?
during SLR to DSLR upgrade
or u dun like ur lens in white ? ;P
er.. no ar.. i never switched.. all the way nikon.. well almost lar.. nikon SYSTEM (cos i use a fuji cam) :bsmilie:

wat made u think i switched?

jOhO said:
er.. no ar.. i never switched.. all the way nikon.. well almost lar.. nikon SYSTEM (cos i use a fuji cam) :bsmilie:

wat made u think i switched?

pai say, got mixed up with another ppl's post ... :confused:

From what I know, Original Canon lenses seem to be lacking on the wides whereas they do stronger on the telephoto side. Of course there are still the 3rd party manufacturers to choose from.

Body wise, I know the F-mount is available on Nikon, Fuji and Kodak whereas the EF mount is only Canon and Kodak if I'm not wrong. And currently, for full frame only Canon and Kodak has them.

As for flash systems, Nikon has the CLS with the SB-800/600s.

You definitely can't go wrong with any of these two systems. Both have their pros and cons and have an edge at certain situations compared to the other. What's more important is to learn your equipment and how to optimize them to take the best photos.

Oh by the way, since you don't have any equipment to help you decide which system to choose, you should see which system any of your friends own. That way you can borrow lenses and flashes for no extra cost! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.