cancellation charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

yymun

Nov 23, 2003
tanglin
Visit site
hi, may i know what is the common practices for photographer who has receice cancellation notice less than 48hrs from company ?

to be more detail should be 24hrs before!

:embrass:

Last edited:

soeypixels

Jun 24, 2007
i think it boils down to the TnC stated before u decided to take up the job
:)

yymun

Nov 23, 2003
tanglin
Visit site
that is my fault i did not state down my T&C!:cry: a bitter lesson to learn, business is business! have to state clear our t&C.

i think the other party are not going to pay me single cent!

Feb 22, 2005
Cowtown
that is my fault i did not state down my T&C!:cry: a bitter lesson to learn, business is business! have to state clear our t&C.

i think the other party are not going to pay me single cent!
I assume you didn't even take a deposit at all?

Feb 22, 2005
Cowtown
yes no desposit too!:bsmilie:
So what's to stop them from cancelling on you? Personal integrity? I hope you've learned your lesson, and that you'll make changes to the way you operate your business.

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
well...if you charge them...chances are they won't come back to you in the future.
haha.
business is tough.

Reflection

Feb 22, 2005
Cowtown
well...if you charge them...chances are they won't come back to you in the future.
haha.
business is tough.
Really depends on how one handles the contract & client involved. My personal experience with cancellations have been positive, and I've had ex-wedding clients come back to me with commercial work thereafter.

As long as they understand why a deposit is necessary, and on what grounds it will be forfeited, there shouldn't be any problems. I doubt clients who don't come back because of the cancellation charge, value the work or service that we provide. We move on.

I agree that business is indeed tough, but that doesn't mean we should allow our business practices to degrade either.

Just my point of view.:)

yymun

Nov 23, 2003
tanglin
Visit site
from now all project will include the T&C. hi, do anyone know where can i find some reference for it?:dunno:

Reflection

Feb 22, 2005
Cowtown
from now all project will include the T&C. hi, do anyone know where can i find some reference for it?:dunno:
In order for your contract to be drafted accurately with the right terms, it would be best of you can get a lawyer to do one for you. Got any lawyer friends?

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
Really depends on how one handles the contract & client involved. My personal experience with cancellations have been positive, and I've had ex-wedding clients come back to me with commercial work thereafter.

As long as they understand why a deposit is necessary, and on what grounds it will be forfeited, there shouldn't be any problems. I doubt clients who don't come back because of the cancellation charge, value the work or service that we provide. We move on.

I agree that business is indeed tough, but that doesn't mean we should allow our business practices to degrade either.

depends on who your clients are. Asian clients,corporations (not just in photography) are more difficult for me to deal with than my overseas clients many times. (won't elaborate further..heh)

V

vince123123

I don't think that it is correct to label the foregoing of a deposit as a degradation of business practice, or conversly, that taking a deposit means you have good business practices.

Mattlock is right to say that it depends on the client. If for example, someone like say, a large GLC or MNC - engages you to do a shoot, but thinks that paying a deposit is insulting to them. Do you stick to your guns and say "No, I won't degrade my business practice".

Hence, the decision whether or not to take a deposit is actually a balancing of commercial risks, and is a commercial decision taken after assessing many factors; all of which has nothing to do with the quality of business practices

Reflection

Feb 22, 2005
Cowtown
I don't think that it is correct to label the foregoing of a deposit as a degradation of business practice, or conversly, that taking a deposit means you have good business practices.

Mattlock is right to say that it depends on the client. If for example, someone like say, a large GLC or MNC - engages you to do a shoot, but thinks that paying a deposit is insulting to them. Do you stick to your guns and say "No, I won't degrade my business practice".

Hence, the decision whether or not to take a deposit is actually a balancing of commercial risks, and is a commercial decision taken after assessing many factors; all of which has nothing to do with the quality of business practices
Totally understand where you're coming from, and perhaps the term "degrade" was misused by me.

However, I personally won't do anything without a deposit (or is it a booking fee?) be it a large MNC or a hawker stall. Maybe that's why I don't get many commercial jobs!:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom