Canada : tips and info

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Just beginning a thread to share info and tips on Canada, and in particular, Vancouver, and Banff areas..

If you happen to be in Vancouver, consider going for the Flyover Canada ride:
Home - FlyOver Canada

It's 4D - with sight, sound, smell and even water in your face!
At CA$ 20.95, it's not that cheap for a 20 - 30 min ride, but the sights and experience are worth it...

It's in SD, but nevertheless, I feel it's money well spent...

[media]http://youtu.be/ooTjnZAgI5o[/media]

FlyOver Canada Taking Off Spring 2013! - YouTube

There is so much available in Canada to possibly cover it all in one trip. Vancouver and Banff National Park in Alberta seem to be the most popular areas to visit from Asiatic origins but there is also a lot to see and experience in Central as well as Eastern Canada.

In Central Canada, Toronto and Niagara Falls are the two biggest draws. The nation's capital Ottawa, is also quite popular. Toronto and Niagara Falls are less than 2 hours apart and one could spend 2 weeks in this area and still not see everything. Ottawa is a 5 hour drive from Toronto and is one of Canada's most beautiful cities.

In Eastern Canada, Montreal and Quebec City offer uniquely French hospitality that knows no equal anywhere in North America (not even New Orleans). Further east are the Maritime provinces which happen to be my favourites... New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. There is so much to see and do in these 3 provinces. Of the three, I have a particular affection for Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.) which happens to be Canada's smallest province. This province was built for tourism and although it is small, it offers a lot.

P.E.I. happens to be a favourite vacation destination for many Americans and Japanese. The Japanese have discovered one of Canada's most popular movies ever produced called, "Anne of Green Gables" based on a book written by Lucy Maud Montgomery in 1908. Her home has become a famous tourist destination for many Japanese tourists who have fallen in love with the main character of the book, 'Anne' of Green Gables.

There is so much to see and do in Canada that this small posting only scratches the surface. Every province offers so much. The best way to see Canada is to focus on one small area and experience it for a week or two. Once you've experienced one area, you'll be sure to come back for more!

This thread seems to be neglected for a long time...

I'm thinking of heading to Canadian Rockies this year. Anything tips on that?

This thread seems to be neglected for a long time...

I'm thinking of heading to Canadian Rockies this year. Anything tips on that?

Which part? What's your route?

The best time to go is the summer or early fall. Two must see places in the Canadian Rockies include Banff National Park and Lake Louise. Google both for additional info and images.

Which part? What's your route?

That's the thing - no route yet. Wondering if i should take a bus from Vancouver to Banff before renting car there. However, I think it would be better to rent a car from Vancouver and do a round circuit which include both Banff and Jasper. This way i could drop by Kelowna and Kamloop along the route.

That's the thing - no route yet. Wondering if i should take a bus from Vancouver to Banff before renting car there. However, I think it would be better to rent a car from Vancouver and do a round circuit which include both Banff and Jasper. This way i could drop by Kelowna and Kamloop along the route.

The route there is quite pretty, so if you have a friend, then drive there and back. Lots of little scenic spots on the way to Banff.

The route there is quite pretty, so if you have a friend, then drive there and back. Lots of little scenic spots on the way to Banff.

I would agree. Renting a car from Vancouver is a better idea. You can stop where you want and when you want to see the sights. You should also spend a couple of days in Vancouver. The scenery around the city is quite spectacular. If you have the time, Seattle is only 2 hours south of Vancouver. In my opinion, Seattle is one of the prettiest U.S. cities there are.

I would agree. Renting a car from Vancouver is a better idea. You can stop where you want and when you want to see the sights. You should also spend a couple of days in Vancouver. The scenery around the city is quite spectacular. If you have the time, Seattle is only 2 hours south of Vancouver. In my opinion, Seattle is one of the prettiest U.S. cities there are.

Seattle? I doubt will have time - we only have about 2 and half weeks including flights, so it would be tight for what we want to see/photograph at Rockies.

Seattle? I doubt will have time - we only have about 2 and half weeks including flights, so it would be tight for what we want to see/photograph at Rockies.

Well then you have to decide, give up something or travel like a refugee or fly from one place to another. You can take a domestic flight from Vancouver to somewhere near Banff for example.

Hi Peter. If Banff and Lake Louise are your intended destinations, you might consider Calgary as your base. Depending on the season, driving is most practical option to see the sights. Of course, it depends om yr budget and time. I spent 1 month there covering only Banff and Lake Louise. Will not hesitate to revisit it whatever the season. Calgary was used as a base. There's lots to shoot. Wake up early and catch the sunrise. Stay late and catch the sunsets. Layer yr clothing, equip properly with good camera equipment and enjoy shooting the landscape and peoples there. Avoid driving at night especially outside the city. Watch out for the bears - don't ever feed them! If you're lucky, you may catch a glimpse of some of their mountain cats. Happy shooting! There are many beautiful places in Canada to enjoy yourself and your photography as Raydio shared. Happy shooting! Focus on a small area otherwise you'll not really enjoy your holiday. Don't try to cover too many places. Plan your rout well.

Thanks Matthew, the info was meant for the other bro: ALPC ;)

Glad to have found this thread.

Am planning to visit Canada with my family (me and wife plus 2 young children aged 4 and 6yo) this June for a month or so.
Still have no idea what itinerary should i take.
i would prefer the beautiful scenery and uniquely beautiful cities.
anyone can advise which route should i take?

Matthew, just wondering why it took you 1 month just to cover only Banff and Lake Louise? are there really lot of things to see and explore only in this 2 locations?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Am planning to visit Canada with my family (me and wife plus 2 young children aged 4 and 6yo) this June for a month or so.

Matthew, just wondering why it took you 1 month just to cover only Banff and Lake Louise? are there really lot of things to see and explore only in this 2 locations?

Thanks in advance

Banff National Park is a beautiful place to visit, and it is one of the place to start exploring Canadian Rockies. We landed in Calgary, and traveled directly on road for 2 hours to Banff. Car rental are available at Calgary airport, and also Banff itself. It's a lovely small town, quite touristy but surrounded by magnificent mountains. There are plenty of places for sight seeing and photography such as Lake Louise, Moraine Lake. They are about 30 to 45 min drive away from Banff. You can go further up north to Icefields Parkway, and along the way drop by Peyto Lake.

There aren't many options for food when traveling out of Banff, so you may want to pack some snacks or sandwiches especially for children. Do note depending on season, access to places like Moraine Lake may be restricted to control crowd.

If time allows, try to go to Jasper National Park, which is further up north. It's around 4 hour drive from Banff.

Depending on the season, generally weather on the Rockies are quite cold, around 10+ or 20 C during day time at end of summer. We had nice hike following a hiking trail for 3 hours (return trip) along Lake Louise to top of a hill. It was a nice route with beautiful view, and good exercise too. However it was still cold for us despite of 3 hour trek.

As for Vancouver, it's a pretty and lovely city. You can consider going to Capilano suspension bridge, or have nice walk on Stanley park.

Toronto and Niagara Falls are on further east, about 3 to 4 hour flight journey from Vancouver. Niagara Falls is about 2 hour drive from Toronto city. If you considering taking 'Maid of the Mist' at Niagara Falls, I recall it is only open from end April to end October. There are plenty of hotels in Niagara area.

Hope this helps.:)

Thanks in advance

June is a good month to visit Canada. July is the warmest month of the year but June is not far behind.

Canada is a vast country. If you plan to spend a full month you have enough time to explore one region in Canada or you can do a whirlwind trip and superficially visit the 'hotspots' of the country. I am currently living in Canada and I am a native (I have also lived in Singapore). I have seen most of the country but even after decades of living in this country there are still some places that I have not seen. Let me know where you would like to visit and I would be pleased to offer any advice.

Thanks in advance

The whole of Canada is really beautiful, and most Singaporeans are used to the Chan Brothers "refugee" styled travel, that's why it seems so surprising that a person can take a month to explore two places.

But it also means you can take in the flavor of the place, and not spend days on the road.

You can do a little more than two places, but take your time and enjoy...

There are also many destinations which are used in movies, which are off the beaten track, so take your time to find them... eg, have you seen the movie 'Cabin In The Woods' ? Lots of awesome scenery filmed in Canada...

Thank you orangeRookie, raydio, and petetherock for the reply.

I will be visiting my brother in Calgary therefore i will be based in Calgary.

I am planning to explore on Banff and the surrounding and also thinking to make a trip to Vancouver thru Canadian Rail with a breathtaking sightseeing.
Any of you ever took a train from Calgary/Banff to Vancouver? Any advise on which train/package i should go to?

Came across this website: http://www.brewster.ca/banff/banff-attractions/. what a beautiful place to visit :)

As for Toronto,Niagara Falls or East side of Canada i am not sure if i have enough time to visit. But i would really love to provided both my kids are able to cope.
any local tour i should go to? seems that the link above pretty expensive

Bro Raydio, what are the 'hotspots' of the country if based in Calgary?

Thanks a lot guys

Last edited:
I drove from Vancouver to Banff, making stops along the way, then took a flight back to save time.
You can spend a week in Banff if you like hiking.

Two weeks on the west and then another two weeks on the east coast will do nicely.

In Banff, if you want to shoot Elk, go to the golf course early in the morning or late just before sunset. Guranteed sighting. Hoodoos point has great views in the morning. Going up to Lake Louise, forget about using the highway. The old road is much nicer and many more sights. Daniel Wigget has a couple of great ebook of the area. A must buy if you want to have great pics. He has everything marked out with GPS coordinates. Just google it. I went all the way up to Jasper from Calgary. Worth every single minute of my trip. I have traveled all the continents on this earth and been to so many countries it would be too long to list here(not bragging). I can assure you the Rockies will blow you away. Every corner you turn the scenery is just spectacular. Therre are very few places on earth that wow my these days but this area certainly does. Lake Louise is way overhyped. Lake Morrant is much better. Climb up the pile of rocks to the left of the car park and ahoot the lake with the Valley of the 10 peaks behind it. Too many places to name, lake Peyto is another, Athabasca Falls, Athabasca Glacier, and opp this glacier maybe a mile or so before it there is a hiking trail that goes up the mountains. Great views here of the glacier. And also you are almost certain of seeing big horn sheep. Its a long hike 2-3 hours but worth it. Mistaya falls is fanstastic too. Bow Lake near Num TI jah lodge has nice views. If you can find Panther Falls you wont regret the view. It is not that easy to find. The falls is below the road and water basically comes out the side of the cliff. There is a small ledge for you to go behind it. Dont bring kids here. Too dangerous. Have fun and stay safe. Watch out for bears. Elk too especially when you are driving. Loads of wildlife, i recommend a wide angle and a telephoto minimum.

Last edited: