Which will you keep?

Results are only viewable after voting.

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.dennislee.co
Which lens will you keep if you are me? ;p

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.4 (Contax)
Olympus G.Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f1.4 (Silver nose)

Pardon the high ISO since my room not well lit. :p

Taken by CZ, f1.4, ISO 800
38271_410524512522_688242522_4576031_7077162_n.jpg

Taken by OM, f1.4, ISO 800
38271_410524527522_688242522_4576034_6206909_n.jpg

The OM looked a tad better but its most probably not going to show in your everyday photos.

i find the colors for CZ more punchy... while OM colors are much paler in this case...

wide open at f1.4 OM seems to be better but at f2 and f4... seems like CZ stands out more.

in dilemma now :bsmilie:

hard to tell since u shot then under flourescent lamp cause wb seems to change.

than again, it could be due to lens.

Last edited:
Sharpness wise, the CZ is sharper in the middle & more contrasty
The Oly is not as sharp as the CZ in the middle but is brighter.

If sharpness is your concern, CZ is the one ;)

hi bro

how abt some bokeh of flowers? then u can keep the one that gives better bokeh.. what do u think?

i liked the punchier (more contrast) CZ.

personal preference, maybe. :)

you are talking about colour and sharpness?

for the former, as mentioned, need to do test where lighting is consistent.

for the latter, at websize, we can't really tell difference

you are talking about colour and sharpness?

for the former, as mentioned, need to do test where lighting is consistent.

for the latter, at websize, we can't really tell difference

color, sharpness, color contrast etc?

i think i need to do one outdoor field test... my room light not good enough

:D

CZ is sharper in the centre and somewhat brighter. (?)

yup, thats what i noticed...

but when at f4... both is equally good except that OM appears to be brighter.

quite in a dilemma to decide which one to keep haha... think i will compare again with an outdoor shoot. ;p

seems like all those voted CZ loves CZ as much as i do. :lovegrin:

ai yoh u looking for affirmation issit. . :bsmilie:

honestly other than the slight ? warmer colors * ( i assume wb is constant )
they look about the same to me. Their characters dun look too different. Anyhow, i guess u can pixel peep to convince or dissuade urself further.

ryan

ai yoh u looking for affirmation issit. . :bsmilie:

honestly other than the slight ? warmer colors * ( i assume wb is constant )
they look about the same to me. Their characters dun look too different. Anyhow, i guess u can pixel peep to convince or dissuade urself further.

thats the problem to my dilemma to decide which one to keep :bsmilie:

Dennis, I have used and tested many 50mms and frankly, all of them are good including the Canon 50f1.8 and 50f1.4. Used to have Leica, Zeiss both ZE and Contax, Pentax K and m42, Nikon, OM ( 3 different f1.4 versions), Mamiya and Pentacon. I actually prefered the Zeiss Contax Planar 50f1.7 to the 50f1.4. I ended up keeping th OM 50f1.4 (latest version with s/no greater than 1.1 mil) because I can use it on both my OM SLR and my Canon FF. If you did not say which photo was taken by what, I could not have known. Between these 2 lenses, the OM is better for close-up than the Zeiss but the Zeiss is better at a distant. Using them on your 5D2, you can actually keep both depending on your shooting style for 50.

Dennis, I have used and tested many 50mms and frankly, all of them are good including the Canon 50f1.8 and 50f1.4. Used to have Leica, Zeiss both ZE and Contax, Pentax K and m42, Nikon, OM ( 3 different f1.4 versions), Mamiya and Pentacon. I actually prefered the Zeiss Contax Planar 50f1.7 to the 50f1.4. I ended up keeping th OM 50f1.4 (latest version with s/no greater than 1.1 mil) because I can use it on both my OM SLR and my Canon FF. If you did not say which photo was taken by what, I could not have known. Between these 2 lenses, the OM is better for close-up than the Zeiss but the Zeiss is better at a distant. Using them on your 5D2, you can actually keep both depending on your shooting style for 50.

Thanks bro! your experience always comes in handy when i am in such dilemmas haha

hmm since i dun do much closeups with my 50mm usually (prefer my 35mm), i think i will just keep my CZ haha...

but i will do a field test of both lens for the benefit of those whom i might have spark a little interest in them how these two lens fare in outdoors. :)