Can you take it when stranger comment your pics SUCK?

Will you be mad if stranger commented that your pics SUCK?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Just seen the thread on "gradual improvement in photography".

Someone commented that his photography actually improved after people said that their pic suck.. Of course, he did some soul-searching and realised it's the truth.

Hmmm... What is your immendiate reaction if someone commented that your pic SUCK? No reason given. Just plain lousy.

depends if the person is "reputable" or not.

there are so many trolls here that come in and JUST give such comments. everyone sux to them. so how?

anyway to address your topic, i think it could hurt if one really loved what he has shot, and proudly post it up and someone guns him down.

so yeah... initial reaction hurt? eheh or some bad-tempered one will be angry? but after initial reaction, it's always good to sit back and ponder....

ponder on how stupid a person can just say LOUSY, and that's it. doesn't help at all. ;p

一笑置之!

jOhO said:

there are so many trolls here that come in and JUST give such comments. everyone sux to them. so how?

anyway to address your topic, i think it could hurt if one really loved what he has shot, and proudly post it up and someone guns him down.

so yeah... initial reaction hurt? eheh or some bad-tempered one will be angry? but after initial reaction, it's always good to sit back and ponder....

ponder on how stupid a person can just say LOUSY, and that's it. doesn't help at all. ;p

true.

if some guy off the street (figuratively speaking) just come up to me and say the pic suck, i'll most probably try not to cause bodily harm onto him and ignore his comment. ;p

however, if its joHo (for example :bsmilie: ) who said the same thing to me, i'll be very happy cos at least my pics are worthy of his attention to comment! :sweat:

*now... for those who dun get the drift, just ignore my over-exaggerated example* :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
true.

if some guy off the street (figuratively speaking) just come up to me and say the pic suck, i'll most probably try not to cause bodily harm onto him and ignore his comment. ;p

however, if its joHo (for example :bsmilie: ) who said the same thing to me, i'll be very happy cos at least my pics are worthy of his attention to comment! :sweat:

*now... for those who dun get the drift, just ignore my over-exaggerated example* :bsmilie:

Wow!! Seeing you in person and I know you definately can cause some serious harm to pple.. hee hee :p

So the general feeling is if it is from a stranger, you will be angry and ignore it? If you know the person or if he's very active in the forum then people will take note of his comments?

What if the stranger put it in a nice way?
Like "I think you should throw the pics and remove it from the public eyes"?

Of course, I am not refering to troll in this case. Just a comments from the bottom of his heart.

That will depend who look at the picture, if the person sound arrogrant. Just ignore his whatever comment. But if a friend or viewers dun agree what we show. Most probably the picture doesn't catch their eye. At least they are sincere. I would go back and try to shoot a better picture again. haha...

jOhO said:

Agree totally. There are troll everywhere including here.. However, there are also enough people who will comments "nice" regardless if the pic is nice or not to counter-balance them.

If the person feel the pic is lousy but can't speak his mind or put them into words. We can't just label them as stupid mah.

Most of the time, if a person find a particular dish horrible. Henot be able to give the reason why. It just taste bad to him..

it all depends .... If talking about people who dont know much abt photography example , friends and consumer and they like my photos i will be very happy as it reflects straight forward and easy to visualise what i am trying to present . If they think is sucks then maybe i will ask them for comment .

If its like people who are also into photography and know basic terms like exposure and other technical stuff if they think theres some problem with my photo then of coz i would like to learn what went wrong .

End of the day i just want to learn the best way to present what i want so the answer is YES but think again on their motive ....

I think how a photographer reacts to comments, positive or negative, depends on that photographer's sense of self-worth.

Basically, it is YOUR photograph.

But people will have different opinions on your photographs. And some are more forthright than others. Some VERY forthright! to the extent of being obnoxius!

BUT, it still represents his feelings and reactions to YOUR photograph. In fact the more spontaneous the reaction, the better and more honest his opinion may be. Whether his opinion is born out of long experience of seeing photographs or not is to my mind, irrelevant. I will take his opinion seriously, and ask him why he did not like my photographs. If he could explain, good. If not, it will still stimulate me to ask why.

In my opinion, the worst kinds of comments are those that says "wow! pro! works of a guru! :thumbsup: , interesting!"

The reason why I believe these are the worst comments is that it does not teach me anything, because I KNOW the standard of my photography. And such praises are often from people who do not know better.

But at the end of it, these phorographs are mine. And comments/critique, positive or negative, are feedbacks for me to evaluate my works. I might change. I might not. But I will have the benefit of others feelings/reactions and opinions of my images.

Well, if people are going to say my pictures suck, the very least they can do is to explain why and provide some advice for improvement. If not, I guess some bodily harm to the troll will not be completely out of line. I think both Sam and myself can do some serious damage if we want to. ;p

(For the benefit of the sense-of-humour-challenged, I was only kidding about the bodily harm lah)

Wah.. Ah bin de pro kena suan by stranger is it? ;p

Ok, back to the topic, it is always depend on whether you think his comment is valid. You might disagreed with his comment as each have their own view.
In this world, there is no perfect picture, it is always us, human being trying to perfect it. :)

I must say.......if you fear others saying your pictures sux then dont post and stop wasting bandwidth.

if you feel that your picture is good then just ignore the negative comments.

If there are more than 50% of the post belongs to average or negative comments, it is time to do some soul searching.

type of post can really depict a person's character! :think:

*that is my worthless cents!

av98m said:
Well, if people are going to say my pictures suck, the very least they can do is to explain why and provide some advice for improvement. If not, I guess some bodily harm to the troll will not be completely out of line. I think both Sam and myself can do some serious damage if we want to. ;p

(For the benefit of the sense-of-humour-challenged, I was only kidding about the bodily harm lah)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: geee... guess our combined body weight would be ard 200KG? :think:

seriously tho. sometimes, its not so much abt the comment but the intent for me. if, eg, scanner or student or (even) binbeto (i'll get u for ur comment... :sticktong ) comes up to me and say my pic suck (which is quite often from scanner to me...), at least i know where they are coming from. however (as student rightly pointed out), if the intention is out to bait u, then i'll ignore.

I guess if my pics are said to sux, then 'll acknowledge and try to improve...

but I think my pics are not very good indeed. :)

binbeto said:
there are also enough people who will comments "nice" regardless if the pic is nice or not to counter-balance them.

Who are equally as dangerous as people who post the opposite. If the pictures are substandard and people go around being free with their praise, it becomes worthless, lulls the photographer into a false sense of security, and lowers the standard aspired to.

Depends. If the critics sounds professional, I can accept it or sometimes
I defend my pictures. If the critic comes without a ground, I just laugh it off.

I can take it..........if the other party offers his views on how it can be improved, or least why it sucks.

Merely saying it sucks but offers no constructive advise are as good as not saying anything.

mad.... depends....
disappointed? if there is a complaint but no solution.

bottome line... lose lose scenerio.... thats why i dun post.... I have no nice pics anyways... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.