Can you live without Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog

Feb 13, 2002
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
I got tempted recently with linux and I installed Fedora. Now I dual boot XP and Fedora but find myself using Windows all the time. Why is it that even with an OS choice, I keep choosing the 'lousier' one?
Then I realized that I can't
- find all drivers (e.g. DVD-RW drive) for my hardware in Fedora
- chat using my favourite chat program
- play Prince of Persia and all the latest games
- be productive enough as all my documents are in Windows format
- view my pictures with ACDSee and edit them in Paint Shop Pro
- The internet seems to be a smaller place in Linux world (pages don't load up right due to missing plugins, scripts)
- I have a Windows update fetish
- If I buy a gadget, most probably it won't come with Linux drivers

Yikes! Come to think of it; why would I even buy a computer if there was only the Linux operating system?

My sister got a WinXP box, I own a Mac with the ability to run Virtual PC with Win98SE.

No, I dun even see myself touching Virtual PC. Its juz sitting there on my HDD looking pretty.

Yes, I can live without Windows. In fact, I'm so much happier without it. Its a real torture going to work touching Windows. :(

It's probably not politically correct to say this, but I like Win XP. It's come a long way since the days of the DOS command line and Norton Commander.

I've been touching windoze and PCs for the last countless years....
can't live w/o it so i thot..

until a few days ago.. i took the first step.
i migrated to openoffice. struggled to get used to it...

but now i'm happy w/o word. :)

a small step towards non-microsoft.

jsbn said:
My sister got a WinXP box, I own a Mac with the ability to run Virtual PC with Win98SE.

No, I dun even see myself touching Virtual PC. Its juz sitting there on my HDD looking pretty.

Yes, I can live without Windows. In fact, I'm so much happier without it. Its a real torture going to work touching Windows. :(

Talking about looking pretty, that's what my Fedora is doing now. It's adding some sophistication to the boot process as it displays the GRUB OS loader. I think that's it's only value add. :bsmilie:

alankuik said:
I've been touching windoze and PCs for the last countless years....
can't live w/o it so i thot..

until a few days ago.. i took the first step.
i migrated to openoffice. struggled to get used to it...

but now i'm happy w/o word. :)

a small step towards non-microsoft.

that's the thing, you have to struggle, and at the end of the struggle what do you get?

StreetShooter said:
It's probably not politically correct to say this, but I like Win XP. It's come a long way since the days of the DOS command line and Norton Commander.

Windows 2000 was when I started liking Microsoft. I really hated Windows 98 and Windows ME was probably a large scale experiment on the patience of mankind.

i get to embrace open source...

and of course, i get to use software with peace of mind.
not everyone can afford hundreds of dollars for a word processor

Actually windows isn't that bad, it's really good, they keep coming out with patches to fix it within short frames of times.

You hardly find fixes for UNIX anyway...

well, you gotta learn how to use windows like how you take pictures. the man behind. limitations or bugs, try to find the work around like i do for years. IE has bugs and whatever vulnerabilities, don't use it, use another browser. install firewall, spyware removal and stuffs. i'm still happy with what i'm using. :)

Here's how I see it.
Microsoft ain't as bad as they say it is. They have so many security patches/update because they are the target of virtually all trojans and viruses. It seems like they have an infinite number of loopholes.
But if you think about it, if another OS takes over, it will definitely be in the same position Windows is in now.

打是疼,骂是爱。

So the more you criticise Windows, the more you will luv it :D :thumbsup:

Windows.....Where can you go today? :dunno:

espn said:
Actually windows isn't that bad, it's really good, they keep coming out with patches to fix it within short frames of times.

You hardly find fixes for UNIX anyway...

Wrong. you can find fixes for unix anywhere... just that they are not as easily install/patched like windows, there is no Unix equivalent of Windowsupdate, but there is no Windows Equivalent of UnixOpenSource Community...

Unix, u just have to get use to it and be technical enuf to know how to go about it...

Give me a mac... Think my games can run off Mac, with a 30" ACD :lovegrin:

Anybody saw the new iMac @ CP printer section side? I lurveeeeeeeee it!

Status
Not open for further replies.