Can you live without Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ckiang said:
I used to have a hard time finding an ACDSee equivalent for the Mac (the Mac version of ACDsee can't make it) but I've found a good image viewer recently. Almost everything else like PhotoShop, etc are available on the MacOS platform.

what quick image viewer u recommend for Mac?

tried photo mechanic, i want something like ACDSee

laugh said:
it will still take a long while before pc is no longer synonymous with windows. Windows has come a long way.. its servers are far better than they were before, I can only expect them to come out with better OS in the future.

Good computing habits plus habitual patching can make windows work well too.

BTW, i own a mac too and I love it..hahaha, but I have absoulutely nothing against windows.

ps Going open source is a good thing... we should all go open source...
Actually hor, Windows Server software is not really good oso.... Despite all da patching... :embrass:

If u all want to dump all ur DB and servers, Linux (if u're on low-budget) or UNIX (if u're on a high or unlimited budget) is still da way to go. ;)

jsbn said:
Actually hor, Windows Server software is not really good oso.... Despite all da patching... :embrass:

If u all want to dump all ur DB and servers, Linux (if u're on low-budget) or UNIX (if u're on a high or unlimited budget) is still da way to go. ;)

most webmaster i know are using linux + mysql + php + apache

tried MS products but they are really a pain to use

open source is great...easy to find support from the online communities also.

nightwolf75 said:
i'm using both platforms out of necessity. my wife needs winXP as MOE configures everything in windows OS, even their secure e-mail. so, on my PB, she can't read her mails. heck, she can't even access her e-mails using mozilla!

i like mac OS becos its intuitive. but, its a real PITA becos a lot of my software cannot be used on it. i have to go round hunting for the mac versions. now, i got a bigger headache becos my PB dun seem to like to talk to my linksys wireless router... argghh... :confused:
Morning bro ;)

Cannot detect ur linksys wireless? Easy wad, u juz disable WEP on ur linksys, choose ur base station SSID frm da 'wave thingy' in the menu bar and u're done. :D

I got no problem with my Mac toking to my Netgear wireless router ;)

P/S: Wad other software u need? ;)

Wai said:

How abt iPhoto? :D

Not say very good or wad, but den since its free, cannot complain.

jsbn-

pagi abang! :)

ermm... not safe right, disable WEP? like dat my whole floor can surf when i on my SCV! :faint:

i haven't figure it out yet why i can't talk properly. i also posted on mac user forum. hopefully someone can enlighten me there.

ps: software?? i got the basics already from another colleague.. heehee ;)

back to topic - many of the trade magazines i'm reading are predicting the growth of open source software becos people are getting sick of windows' bugs & virus. however, this is mainly confined to businesses and govts. think u all have read in Digital Life - mindef is starting to switch over to using open office to save on license fees and security. think there's another govt agency moving on to using star office. i tried installing mandrake and college linux on my laptop b4. but, it was a hair-tearing experience, even tho both claimed to be user-friendly. in the end, i switched back to winXP. until the day linux (in all its flavours) become more user-friendly (ie idiot proof), the take-up rate will be slow among the home-users, IMO.

Wai said:

Have you tried jview? its kinda like similar to windows pic viewer..

how about iView Media Pro?

i cannot live without windows, i rather those virus writers and hackers work on something that does not affect the mac user.

Wai said:

i'm using graphics convertor.. found in Utilities.. FOC! :p

Amekaze said:
Here's how I see it.
Microsoft ain't as bad as they say it is. They have so many security patches/update because they are the target of virtually all trojans and viruses. It seems like they have an infinite number of loopholes.
But if you think about it, if another OS takes over, it will definitely be in the same position Windows is in now.

agree, agree.....some pple think that MAC OS is virus-free. Maybe they are right for now. If the day comes (a big, fat IF) for MAC OS to replace Windows then the focus of attacks will be on Stevie's pet....... :bsmilie:

i'm using XP at home, OS X at office & manage FC2 web servers on my leisure time...

I still prefer XP above all. It has come a long way from buggy piece of crap to one of the fastest & stable OS...sure, its still crashes like there's no tomorrow...but its much much better now...In fact I have less crashes on XP than I have with the OS X on my PowerMacG5...

Honestly, I can't live without windows... :p

I've used MS prodocts from Dos 3.1 right up to WinXP pro and the irritating BSOD gets me to no end. DOS was a lot more stable than the windows line. Then during my uni-days.. I was exposed to mandrake and red hat(Linux).

Wow..I was so impressed with what they have and almost everything is user-configurable. :thumbsup:

I'm slowly taking up the Linux path again. As long as there's a need for a driver, the Linux community will produce one soon enough for everyone. I've already abandoned IE becos of the frequent attack scares. I'm using opera and firefox. Next I'll be going over the Linux way. :D

Wai said:

ACDsee is available for the MAC too. I'm using it on both my PC & MAC. PC has better integration with digitalphotography on ACDsee 7, Mac still on ver. 1.0 but does the job. You only need to go to versiontracker.com for imageviewers for more choices.

Getting back to the thread, I still feel more comfortable with Windows. Still on WIN2K OS for home & XP Pro at work. No matter how good OSX is most of the programs I use are updated more regularly on WIN.

zorro18 said:
agree, agree.....some pple think that MAC OS is virus-free. Maybe they are right for now. If the day comes (a big, fat IF) for MAC OS to replace Windows then the focus of attacks will be on Stevie's pet....... :bsmilie:

ah..but that day is still not here yet :)

in any case windows can only get worse. incidentally since mac os x is built on bsd unix and tools included are mostly open source, most security holes that affect mac os x may also affect bsd and even linux. in the open source world holes get fixed a lot quick than in the windows world. so mac os x holes usually get fixed a short time after the open source fixes are available.

one other thing. take away the viruses and worms from windows. you still have a damn lousy os :devil:

some people say mac software is expensive but lets talk about original software here. look at how much the retail version of windows xp professional costs. i paid something like $400+ for mine - and no c compiler. visual studio .net will set me back a few more hundreds or thousands depending on edition. mac os x on the other hand provides more useful stuff out of the box, and includes the gcc c compiler with a pretty good ide enviroment wrapped around it. all this for $228. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.