Can you carry in your tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2004
Going to HK and just found out my tripod cant fit into my check-in luggage!

Anyone tried to carry in their tripod before? :dunno:

lightning

Sep 2, 2004
Punggol
victor.shutterbug.sg

Sorry tripod cannot be hand luggage....have to check in...else they will ask you dispose it off. I have to recall my checked in luggage the last time and pack it in, else they ask me to leave the tripod behind and they help to dispose it off.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I just brought my tripod to and fro Hong Kong (hand carry) two weeks ago.
Went by CX, no problem with that.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation

Bro,
In the last 6 months, I have travelled by SQ, Air China, China Eastern Airlines - from/to Singapore, from/to Beijing, from/to Shanghai and every time I have handcarried my tripod. No problems at all. As long as you have a tripod bag, I don't think you will have any problem.

Of course, this has been my experience. I dunno if other folks have faced any problems when flying with other carriers and to other destinations.

In a worst case scenario, you can remove the ball/pan&tilt head and hand carry it. You can ask the airline to checkin the tripod and tag it with a 'fragile' tag. However, I have a very strong feeling ;) that the groundstaff treat fragile items with utter contempt :bsmilie:

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Bro,
In a worst case scenario, you can remove the ball/pan&tilt head and hand carry it. You can ask the airline to checkin the tripod and tag it with a 'fragile' tag. However, I have a very strong feeling ;) that the groundstaff treat fragile items with utter contempt :bsmilie:
I check in a long umbrella b4 by itself and it came back out fine. Flying ANA. I think a tripod is far stronger than an umbrella.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Handcarried in the following:

Tripod (with no tripod bag, just a strap. No probs at OZ)
Tripod (with tripod bag. Had a doggie sniff me at Narita. No prob in Bangkok)
Umbrella (twice. Go thru x-ray at Narita, but since its transparent, they dun seem to be bothered)

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Erm... U dun expect them to treat fragile luggages with white kid gloves right? :sweat:

JL1500k

Apr 14, 2004

To play safe, better get the bigger luggage lor. :bsmilie:

I went to Melbourne last year on British Airways. No problem going there. But when I was coming back, and already at the boarding gate, the airport staff told me that I couldn't take my tripod onboard. They wrapped it up and checked it in for me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom