Can we use flash for MTB race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
From another thread, they seems to not agree on the use of flash to take MTB race.

I have not shot such event but will like to try if there is an oportunity. However, before doing so, I would like to know if we can use flash, I dont want to create problem for the bikers. I assume it is dangerous fall off the bike in the speed and terrian they are cycling.

best to ask the riders

photographers will do everything to get the shot
slow sync fill flash while panning will give you a nice picture

definitely not....the only way for u to know is to get on a MTB and go down the slope at blistering speed only to have ur eyes blinded by an intense flash of light...its something like driving at top speed at night on a bumpy road only to have another car blinding u from the opposite direction with its HID lights...hope this helps...

I understand from the part of the bikers, but how than did the pros get their magazine shots?

shouldnt be much of a problem. Use to shoot MTB race back in film days with flash. And use to be MTB riders myself. Most riders will have their eyes focus more on the terrain and obstacles rather than the surrounding, spectators, supporters or even photographers. Best practice is to pre flash as a warning upon seeing them coming towards you or down from hills. Of course dont shoot them upclose with flash lah... If possible try not to use flash whenn you're shooting them while climbing up hills and in tired conditions it will irritate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.