Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Can we survive without RICE?

As rice stocks swell, concerns grow over space and consumer reaction
By Alicia Wong, TODAY | Posted: 09 April 2008 1054 hrs

SINGAPORE: Even as rice importers are encouraged to import more, the problem lies in the high costs and lack of storage space, not the supply availability — so say importers who met with International Enterprise (IE) Singapore on Tuesday.

At the one-hour meeting involving more than 30 suppliers, the latter raised concerns such as whether consumers would buy rice if prices continued to spiral upwards.

Managing director of Chye Choon Foods Jimmy Soh told TODAY: "With the prices moving so aggressively, importers may revise prices up by another 10 to 20 per cent".

This means Singaporeans could see another hike in retail prices in the next two to three weeks, but Mr Soh was not certain they would pay.

At the meeting, traders were asked if they could absorb the increased costs — but traders hoped the government could subsidise these, according to See Hoy Chan's operations manager E K Lim. He said IE Singapore told them the feedback would be passed on to the government.

With Singapore's three rice warehouses nearly 90 per cent full, Mr Lim said supply shortage is not a worry for consumers here. "Even if I bring in more rice, how am I going to store it?" he asked, pointing out the costs of renting additional storage space.

This concern was one of the issues raised at the meeting, according to the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI), which heads IE Singapore.

The MTI said, to media queries, that the meeting was held "in response to requests from importers for the government to consider allowing them to import rice over and above their usual monthly imports".

This refers to the agreement traders have with MTI to bring in a fixed amount of rice monthly.

"Issues such as the availability of existing financial schemes for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and assistance in securing warehouse space were among the issues discussed," the MTI added.

But, Mr Lim felt that upping imports now was not the best solution for consumers — with stocks taking up to four months to clear, consumers may end up paying higher prices for their rice later even if global costs drop by then, he said. - TODAY/ra

I can't survive without rice. To me, one of my daily meals must have rice otherwise I will feel cranky. :bsmilie: To most Asians, whose staple diet is rice, telling them to go without rice is like telling the Italians to forego their pasta. :bsmilie:

it is not the supply, it is the demand, unless governments act quickly to create new farmlands to increase supply.

I feel that the local authority should step in to help regulate the pricing (either through subsidies or tariff removal or direct price controls). Supermarkets who put branded rice on promo gets to see an empty shelf quick quickly. With higher demand, prices will inflate more. The middle merchants are probably now laughing their way to the bank.

If prices of essentials like rice, flour, sugar, oil, salt and even eggs goes uncontrolled, the sacrifice may be more hardships ahead. Would this encourage more singaporean quitters to pack up and go? Quitters is not a bad word anymore as the man on the street do not feel home anymore. If you tell someone you are leaving singapore as the living expenses are far too high here, he/she may feel happy for you instead. (And yes, i do know that price hikes of raw mats is a world wide problem).

Talk to a hawker stall owner, mention about price hikes on ingredients and you will see a sad face. Many hawkers still dare not raise prices and some had been absorbing the price hikes for past 3 years. But all of them said they cannot bear the hikes and hope to raise price soon. Will their businesses worsen with higher food pricing? This leads into a different fear which can damage their daily collections even more.

For me no rice, no problem... :)

../azul123

no rice everyday eat kan tang lor.

must eat thai grade AAA rice everyday..used to it liao..news are saying they may up the price by 10 to 20% in a few weeks time..:(

Can take other alternatives like potatoes for the time being until the prices stabilze but as a chinese,its diffcult to totally avoid taking rice. :(

What to do, it has happened
icon9.gif

grow our own rice in fish tanks and flower pots? hdb mass rice growin :bsmilie:

Noddle, Roti prata, potato also can survive, no problem.

loti, laksa, char kway teow, bak chor mee, hokkien mee, satay bee hoon, chin chai la hahahahaha.

erm, don't forget that many of these foods rely heavily on flour - and most of them are made from rice flour?

Although you can argue that can use other types of flour (i.e. wheat, corn) - but most of these commodities are also going up in prices too.

Alternatively, use potato starch flour loh - but I'm quite damn sure that it'll taste different.. ;p

I eat brown rice .. so no problem for me
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.