Can we bring tripod onboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I'm going on backpacking trips coming Nov and Dec via Cathay Pacific and JetstarAsia... Do you know if we can hand carry the luggage?

I know for baby trolleys and large coats, can pass to the cabin crew for safekeeping throughout the flight. Can we do the same for tripod?

So far, I have been checking in my tripod into my really large suitcase.

It will probably incur a cost. Tripods are probably considered luxuries rather than necessities. Previously I contemplated bringing my guitar back here from overseas. Yes, they can help you store it, but not sure how much they charge, or how well they take care of your stuff. A tripod should be okay though since most good ones will be built like a tank.

oh .tripod is not allowed to carry on board. must check in...:)

very relevant topic. may consider to bring tripod on my next overseas trip.. now i know checkin is needed. i saw the japanese photographer who hosts in National Geographic channel in Beijing before. I think he was not carry much as he passes thro immigration. maybe even his camera is in his checkin?

if tripod is small enough, maybe you might want to squeeze it into ur suitcase with all the other stuffs...

I had handcarried my Slik Pro400DX on SIA and NWA (both with and without a tripod bag) without any problems to date.

After the London episode, can we still bring out camera bags on board? Am going to Australia in a week+ time, and it would be a bummer if I had to leave all my lenses and camera to some un-gentle luggage handlers :cry:

After the London episode, can we still bring out camera bags on board? Am going to Australia in a week+ time, and it would be a bummer if I had to leave all my lenses and camera to some un-gentle luggage handlers :cry:
getting a pelican case might help... http://www.pelican.com/
seen review from popular photography, that the case is really solid. :thumbsup:
but could simply mean you got a heavier load :bsmilie:

very relevant topic. may consider to bring tripod on my next overseas trip.. now i know checkin is needed. i saw the japanese photographer who hosts in National Geographic channel in Beijing before. I think he was not carry much as he passes thro immigration. maybe even his camera is in his checkin?

What you see is "action action" on video only. Do you think he will carry all the stuffs by himself?

Juz had my Bangkok trip (yes, with the coup and all that).

Handcarried my camera bag & tripod onboard SIA. No problem.

Call and check with ur airlines for security requirements and arrangements instead of asking here, u'll get a faster and more accurate response.

During a school video trip, we packed 3 big tripods and 3 video cameras + a lighting kit on board the SIA flight without any problem.

last time when i go to cambodia,
i bring my tripod on board, with my camera bag...
its quite big, and using the tripod bag, but they didnt complain...
got a friend who check in the tripod ending up got his ballhead broken >___<

Seems like SQ looks alright.
Will call up Cathay Pacific tomorrow to check. Will post if I get any news.

Airlines that are "photographer friendly" : Allowed bags as large as a Crumpler "Karachi Outpost" or Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 taken up on board as hand luggage (despite being oversized) :

Cathay Pacific
Dragonair
EVA Air
Singapore Airlines
Nippon Airways
China Airlines

The above are flights between Singapore-Asian destinations. *Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Korea and Japan.

In all the above cases, a fairly large Manfrotto 190PRO Tripod with 486RC2 ballhead was strapped to the bag and stored in the overhead compartments. Only in one case where the bag did not really fit *(flight was full), the flight attendant helped store the gears into the closet at first class section (China Airlines).

Note : I have flown in the above stated airlines for shooting assignments and this is from personal experience. Hope this helps. Also, you have to open your bags for inspection when ground crew/customs officers request just to make sure you are carrying camera equipment. So don't put anything that will embarrass you or not want others to inspect in that bag! :sweat:

Airlines that are "photographer friendly" : Allowed bags as large as a Crumpler "Karachi Outpost" or Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 taken up on board as hand luggage (despite being oversized) :

Cathay Pacific
Dragonair
EVA Air
Singapore Airlines
Nippon Airways
China Airlines

The above are flights between Singapore-Asian destinations. *Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Korea and Japan.

In all the above cases, a fairly large Manfrotto 190PRO Tripod with 486RC2 ballhead was strapped to the bag and stored in the overhead compartments. Only in one case where the bag did not really fit *(flight was full), the flight attendant helped store the gears into the closet at first class section (China Airlines).

Note : I have flown in the above stated airlines for shooting assignments and this is from personal experience. Hope this helps. Also, you have to open your bags for inspection when ground crew/customs officers request just to make sure you are carrying camera equipment. So don't put anything that will embarrass you or not want others to inspect in that bag! :sweat:

Great info... Thanks microcosm... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.