Can use higher ampere?

You can. The Amps only allow you to attach an appliance that requires higher rating. As long as the voltage and frequency match, OK. Lower amps cannot power appliances that requires higher load.

You can. The Amps only allow you to attach an appliance that requires higher rating. As long as the voltage and frequency match, OK. Lower amps cannot power appliances that requires higher load.

Actually if I am correct, Sion's specs above are insufficient to determine compatibility. What I see is the input voltage, but not the output voltage. That is the most critical part.

IMHO, you may want to be careful, some small items will burn out if you double the amps...

You can is the amp is can only be supplied if the load is actually pulling that much current. Ohms Law always applies.

I am assuming that the load in this case remains the same then you can use the transformer you mentioned as long as power rating remains the same. However if the transformer is part of a load which keeps changing such as a power supply then replacement of the transformer will mean the circuit will draw more current.

I=V/Z for AC where Z is R for pure resistance

I don't have problem with output voltage as the new one is the same as the one to be replaced.

The difference is only in input ampere the new one is 1 ampere and old one is 0.5 ampere.

It's the transformer for external hard disk case.

Thanks.

I don't have problem with output voltage as the new one is the same as the one to be replaced.

The difference is only in input ampere the new one is 1 ampere and old one is 0.5 ampere.

It's the transformer for external hard disk case.

Thanks.

Remember that this is KPT ...so there is no guarantee that you will receive sound advice here.......... :)

Someone once asked for recommendation for acupuncturist and ended up looking like this. :eek:

$PH.jpg

Try it at your own risk. :bsmilie:

A faulty transofrmer has this specifictions: 100-240VAC.50/60-Hz 0.5A

Can I use another one with: 100-240VAC.50/60-Hz 1A ?

Thanks for the help.

your output current will be different and it depends on your down stream equipment

A faulty transofrmer has this specifictions: 100-240VAC.50/60-Hz 0.5A
Can I use another one with: 100-240VAC.50/60-Hz 1A ?
Thanks for the help.
You're 100% fine to use bigger ampere power supply, as long the voltage is the same.
As long not the other way around, meaning your equipment need 1A, but your power supply only 0.5A.

Remember that this is KPT ...so there is no guarantee that you will receive sound advice here.......... :)

Someone once asked for recommendation for acupuncturist and ended up looking like this. :eek:

Try it at your own risk. :bsmilie:

Please do not underestimate the quality of the advices given by CSers.

A few years ago someone asked for an investment advice in Kopitiam and he actually followed the advice given by one of us.

He is now one of the richest men in Singapore.

However the guy who gave him the investment advice is still a struggling photographer today using an entry level camera with kit lens. :bsmilie:

Please do not underestimate the quality of the advices given by CSers.

A few years ago someone asked for an investment advice in Kopitiam and he actually followed the advice given by one of us.

He is now one of the richest men in Singapore.

However the guy who gave him the investment advice is still a struggling photographer today using an entry level camera with kit lens. :bsmilie:
...that chap was prudent......he did the opposite of what he was told..... :bsmilie:

The voltage rating is most important. Current rating on your transformer determine if it can cater to your load demand. In your case it is more than enough.

downstream wise 1A is 2x of 0.5A so you are okay. larger capacity.
but you may wish to check if the upstream is rated for up to 1A current. Otherwise your transformer, if pulling a 1A load, may trip up (over amp?) the upstream power devices. Just saying.

My advice is not professional and I have stopped practicing engineering for a long long time. besides, I'm just a cat. meow

Since Sion mentioned it's for external harddisc, I presume it's more like a DC power supply rather than an AC transformer.
Under normal condition, a higher capacity power supply should work fine.
But sometimes, electronic manufacturers use dedicated power supply to limit the current for abnormal conditions.
Abnormal conditions like a shorted internal electronic component or a stuck motor would draw too much current which could result in overheating.
So it would be best to use the correct power supply

Last edited: