can u clean the viewfinder with a lens paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtm78

Feb 7, 2009
can u clean the viewfinder and the mirror with a lens paper?

best not to touch the mirror

if you're talking about external part of viewfinder, yes, but try to blow it first

what about internal part?

that part, best not to touch

don't be so obsessed about cleaning that part, you will never run out of dust there

if it doesn't affect your shooting, ignore it, and then ask the service centres to clean for you when you send it in

unless of course you really know how to do it. i don't, and i'm sure it will be safe if you know how, but if you don't and you want to experiment, think twice. get someone who knows how to do it to show you first.

well, i did clean my mirror with lens paper and lens liquid once.

it had this really stain i couldn't get off through blowing, so i used the lens paper and tissue. applied extremely little force and took me almost 5 whole minutes to rub the stain off. might have got some dust in, but those i could blow away.

regarding the viewfinder, i cant find a good way to clean it other than blowing it or just plainly using a soft cloth. (both methods don't really work, actually.)

Probably, if you are comfortable with it. I'll usually request for the mirror and the exterior of the viewfinder to be cleaned as well when I send it in for sensor cleaning.

don't be so obsessed about cleaning that part, you will never run out of dust there

if it doesn't affect your shooting, ignore it, and then ask the service centres to clean for you when you send it in

unless of course you really know how to do it. i don't, and i'm sure it will be safe if you know how, but if you don't and you want to experiment, think twice. get someone who knows how to do it to show you first.

Here's some pretty good advice...
:thumbsup:

I gave up on all the dust too, doesn't affect my image quality anyway.

Once I've used compress air to blow off my camera dusts and dirt inside the mirror and VF.
So far no problem. Is so clean after blow it....

Sometimes it's not only dust, but marks which u can't simply blow off with a blower.

the only dust to worry abt, imho, is dust on the sensor.

but dust on the mirror can be blardy irritating. i got one big speck now :devil:. will probably wait until my sensor dust gets too horrible before i send for cleaning

Just block it!

the only dust to worry abt, imho, is dust on the sensor.

but dust on the mirror can be blardy irritating. i got one big speck now :devil:. will probably wait until my sensor dust gets too horrible before i send for cleaning

Sometimes dust on sensor can be easily blown off. But dusts on mirror and focusing screen are normal. I already have a few specks on the inside of the focusing screen and i just leave it there as long as it doesn't affect me taking pics.

better not. if you're not careful, u might scratch it. :(

like me, i scratched it, making the af selection lights to go haywire due to those fine lines.

CSC(don't know NSC) charge you $25 to change the viewfinder.

All they need is 1 1/2 hours or lesser.

better not. if you're not careful, u might scratch it. :(

like me, i scratched it, making the af selection lights to go haywire due to those fine lines.

CSC(don't know NSC) charge you $25 to change the viewfinder.

All they need is 1 1/2 hours or lesser.

Viewfinder is safe to clean but not the focusing screen if u dunno how to do it.

I don't clean my viewfinder, I buy a new body. :bsmilie:

Canon's viewfinder screens scratch very very very easily, I already scratched mine. Also, dont keep on blowing on the mirror box, it somehow pushes more dust into the inside of the viewfinder, where the pentaprism is. You can't get that out with out taking out screws.

Canon's viewfinder screens scratch very very very easily, I already scratched mine. Also, dont keep on blowing on the mirror box, it somehow pushes more dust into the inside of the viewfinder, where the pentaprism is. You can't get that out with out taking out screws.

I've cleaned mine umpteen times with microfiber cloth and still clean as a whistle without any scratches.

Status
Not open for further replies.