Can the education system be improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
stem cell research.. :bsmilie:researched in sg cos we have the facilities and generous sponsorship.. the actual brains behind the work hehehe... not from sg..

i wouldn't say the brains are entirely foreign, there are local researchers as well. in the first place you can't open a research centre with 100% local brains, it'll be doomed to failure. but whether these 'local' brains were educated in Singapore ... :angel:

The accepted belief that must pass exams with great marks to succeed in making big $, driving big cars and smoking big cigars.

:)

Well, there is SOME truth to that philosophy.

Put it this way. Having good grades is a passport to opportunities, but it's not a license to mint money.

Think of it like being in possession of a good collection of photographic kit. One has the tools, but it's how one uses these tools that ultimately determine the quality of pictures one takes.

Bernard

The accepted belief that must pass exams with great marks to succeed in making big $, driving big cars and smoking big cigars.

Hmmm, that begets another question.

Are Singaporean parents incalcating the belief in their children that making big $, driving big cars and smoking big cigars are the end alls and be alls in life?

Bernard

stem cell research.. :bsmilie:researched in sg cos we have the facilities and generous sponsorship.. the actual brains behind the work hehehe... not from sg..

Not just the facilities and grants.

Singapore looks attractive to stem cell researchers because we are considered relatively lax in terms of limits imposed on such work.

Other countries have stringent rules and regulations (based on moral issues) on such research that scientists find restricting to their work. Thus the migration to Singapore of these individuals.

Bernard

i remember when i was in JC, i failed my further maths for the entire year 1 and 1st semester of year 2. my tutor kept asking me whether i want to quit it, and there were horror stories of students being forced to quit subjects they don't do well so as not to drag the school's ranking down. in the end, i scored a 'B' i can be proud of during 'A' levels, though still i was bottom of the class :sweat:

thats wat my school did too... my entire class almost disappeared... from 20+ left until 10+ cos the principal thinks that those ppl will pull down the grades, so transfered them to other schools.

things that principals do to make sure the school is 'high' ranking... sacrifices are necessary... resistance is futile...

look at our dear ELITES that lead singapore, all of them have literally TONNES of degrees and certs that weighs as heavy as a 600mm f/4. So if one wants to be successful, u better have more certs and degrees that weighs at least the canon 1200mm f5.6L

and btw, do u know wat our dear ministry of manpower said? look at the newpaper on 20 jan 2007, ST home section page 5. They said "MOM recommended anyone who wish to get higher pay to get a Master Degree first"

Wat does this mean? this mean tat the rat race to compete who is more exam smart is never ending...

By the time we reach 30-40 yrs later, if we do not have a Phd degree, dun even think of having the opportunity to help our dear elites sweep the floor.

Our education is literally screwed up... only can produce ppl who are paper smart...
how to be street and business smart??? i really dunno. we are all walking corpse just following the path of the bellringers.

look at our dear ELITES that lead singapore, all of them have literally TONNES of degrees and certs that weighs as heavy as a 600mm f/4. So if one wants to be successful, u better have more certs and degrees that weighs at least the canon 1200mm f5.6L

and btw, do u know wat our dear ministry of manpower said? look at the newpaper on 20 jan 2007, ST home section page 5. They said "MOM recommended anyone who wish to get higher pay to get a Master Degree first"

Wat does this mean? this mean tat the rat race to compete who is more exam smart is never ending...

By the time we reach 30-40 yrs later, if we do not have a Phd degree, dun even think of having the opportunity to help our dear elites sweep the floor.

basically, now O levels is like your kindergarden graduation... Degree is like your Primary school leaving certificate... then Phd is your Secondary School graduation certificate of attendance... after that, you either start all over again, or u BS all the way...

Not just the facilities and grants.

Singapore looks attractive to stem cell researchers because we are considered relatively lax in terms of limits imposed on such work.

Other countries have stringent rules and regulations (based on moral issues) on such research that scientists find restricting to their work. Thus the migration to Singapore of these individuals.

Bernard

Strict ethical rules are in place for a reason... Do you remember a case where a AStar brain scientist who did some experiments on patients without their knowledge? In the end, he was wrong doing was discovered and was booted out of the organisation.

In a separate case, there was a Korean genetic scientist who fabricated some false results and also had egg on his face when he was discovered.

These are very serious issues and therefore must have strict rules to reduce such things from happening.

Our education is literally screwed up... only can produce ppl who are paper smart...
how to be street and business smart??? i really dunno. we are all walking corpse just following the path of the bellringers.

Hi kcuf2,

I don't think it's really fair to lay this at the door of Singapore's education system.

The only school that teaches street and business smarts is the school of hard knocks (ie: real life experiences). People learn "street smarts" from experience, by being "out there". Business smarts develop from doing apprentice-ships or from running one's own business.

My 2 cents.

Bernard

Strict ethical rules are in place for a reason... Do you remember a case where a AStar brain scientist who did some experiments on patients without their knowledge? In the end, he was wrong doing was discovered and was booted out of the organisation.

In a separate case, there was a Korean genetic scientist who fabricated some false results and also had egg on his face when he was discovered.

These are very serious issues and therefore must have strict rules to reduce such things from happening.

Of course.

However, what I'm referring to isn't so cut and dry as the examples you have stated. Those 2 were obvious cases of "lack of consent" and "fraudulent submission of data".

It has more to do with the very ambigious debate of "what constitutes life"?

Bernard

I've had many friends who gave up their dreams because of a lack of proper grades.

There talents are promoted and ironically the are not accepted.

So much for the promotion of talents.

Ah, then there's the issue of qualifications vs talents. The tangible vs the intangible. For what I believe they should go hand in hand in deciding if the person in suitable for the job or the school. Instead of talents hidden behind a facade of paper qualifications and official exam results. No matter how much talents you have, without results in certain countries, it's hopeless. Instantly rejected at the doorstep. It's a sad thing that should be changed... Time to allow talent a chance to show itself. ;)

Recently there were a few cases of NTU profs and school teachers involved in police/court cases, that does sound a alarm bell to our education system :think:

It's just a matter of the law of large numbers. The larger the number of a group of people, the likelihood of some of them up to some mischief will be there.

d obvious flaw in our ed system is d lack of diversity, talent wise. tis is d reason we hav many foreign 1s in sports.

talents need to b
1) spotted/indentified
2) groomed

our education system is still far from stage(1). yes, we r a small country ttz y each an every talent is so crucial. like a drop of water, i wonder how many talented individuals did not hav enough support, chance to prove their worth & make S'pore proud... :think:

its ironic we're such an affluent nation splurging on those who already got lots of aid & opportunity. some1 forgot d "law of diminishing returns"? so i guess we should support tt pianist who skipped NS to hone his talent overseas hor :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.