Can the Canon 710IS and the Lumix FZ7 give a shallow DOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aljazz

Apr 13, 2004
Thinking of getting either the Canon 710IS or the Lumix FZ7. Does any of these cameras give a shallow DOF? Thought I might have read somewhere that the FZ7 might be able to do this.

Understand also that sensor size plays a part in DOF besides the focal length, subject to camera distance, aperture size but how big is big for the sensor size to give a shallow DOF of how small is small that it gives you a deep DOF?

Thnx!

Thinking of getting either the Canon 710IS or the Lumix FZ7. Does any of these cameras give a shallow DOF? Thought I might have read somewhere that the FZ7 might be able to do this.

Understand also that sensor size plays a part in DOF besides the focal length, subject to camera distance, aperture size but how big is big for the sensor size to give a shallow DOF of how small is small that it gives you a deep DOF?

Thnx!

P n S, not easy to get DOF.
Only way you can get it is with fast lens. (low aperture)
Or rather how you place your subject n between the background.
Eg. you have your subject in an open field, focus on the subject, you get DOF.
If you have your subject just behind a wall, even with a SLR, you can't get much DOF.
You need to know more about the fundamental of photography first, before talking about the camera limitations.

GO for largest apreature with with the closest focusing distance and longest focla length to minimise the DOF

What i did is to use macro mode and go really close to the subject

Not sure how would people rate these, but here is a shot as a newbie.:sweat:
flower5.jpg

Note that have a little CA on rims of petals
Using F2.8 and 1/100 if i not mistaken :think:

Read that can also use tele-macro mode but have yet to try out :dunno: Exams are near

Status
Not open for further replies.