Can the built in flash of D70 serves as Master?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuhyong

Jan 9, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
One of the reason why I bought the SB-800 was because I thought it can serve as a remote IN ADDITION to the existing built-in speed light of the D70.
So far, I have met with little success. :(

It was a while before I can even get the SB-800 to fire remotely (only after setting it to Channal 3, like the manual instructed). But even when I can trigger the remote SB800 to fire, it seems that it will act as the ONLY source of light. It seems that the built-in flash only serves to trigger the remote flash but in itself, does not contribute to the lighting at all. The only time when both actually works to give light is when I choose commander>manaual>followed by various fractions of full power.

I would appreciate if some one can enlighten me how to get both build-in flash and remote SB-800 to light under iTTL condition, ie, not having to fire under manual settings.

The various samples from the manual that comes with the SB-800 is not useful. It almost seems that they are suggesting that it only works with the SB-800 itself acting as the master on the camera/sync cord, PLUS further units of SB-800s!!

Yes, the built in flash when used in iTTL commander mode to trigger remote wireless flash units does not contribute to the exposure. This is explained in the manual. If you want the built in flash to contribute, you have to use manual mode and compensate the remote flash.

Only an on camera SB-800 can be used to both control remote wireless flashes and contribute to exposure in iTTL mode.

Can you try setting the SB800 to SU-4 mode and the D70 to anything other than Commander mode? That should make the internal flash contribute to the exposure too.

BurgaFlippinMan said:
Can you try setting the SB800 to SU-4 mode and the D70 to anything other than Commander mode? That should make the internal flash contribute to the exposure too.

I can't remember the link, but I read that you can set it up this way, but you have to be very careful as you have to control the power of remote SB-800 in SU-4 mode. Basically you have to have your SB-800 off first and do a pre-flash with the internal flash to measure the flash exposure (as in SU-4 mode, the SB-800 will be triggered by the pre-flash). Once you have your pre-flash exposure, you then turn on your SB-800 and shoot normally with your internal flash. You have to be careful to dial in the correct power for the SB-800 so it doesn't overwhelm the exposure as the internal flash exposure won't take this into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.