Can TCs work on Sigma Macro lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryer

Dec 17, 2002
Tampines
Visit site
Hi there,

i am thinking of getting the 105mm macro from Sigma, and contemplating getting a 2x APO Sigma TC (to increase my working distance) as well..

Just a quick question,
will using the TC still allow me to focus at infinity, retain metering and AF?

Thanks!

Regards

Wryer said:
Hi there,
Just a quick question,
will using the TC still allow me to focus at infinity, retain metering and AF?

The above is all possible with a TC.

A TC will affect the image quality by a bit. Maybe you should avoid using it unless absolutely neccessary.

binbeto said:
The above is all possible with a TC.

A TC will affect the image quality by a bit. Maybe you should avoid using it unless absolutely neccessary.

I see...thanks!
With a budget of $200, what kind of TC should i be looking at? (1st hand or 2nd hand doesnt matter :))

Regards!

Wryer said:
I see...thanks!
With a budget of $200, what kind of TC should i be looking at? (1st hand or 2nd hand doesnt matter :))

Regards!

Check http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/ConvComptChart.htm. Dun think the sigma one is compatible with the 105mm. At 200 u are probably limited to the mc7 series. U may want to look at a kenko pro (300+) but do test it in the shop first as my mc7 doesn't work with my 105mm.

xdivider said:
Check http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/ConvComptChart.htm. Dun think the sigma one is compatible with the 105mm. At 200 u are probably limited to the mc7 series. U may want to look at a kenko pro (300+) but do test it in the shop first as my mc7 doesn't work with my 105mm.

:( you mean the sigma TC are not compatible with the sigma 105mm :sweat: how strange...

Looks like i need to look at some sample images of sigma 105mm with kenko TCs..but does the kenkos retain aF, metering?

Thanks xdivider!

Wryer said:
:( you mean the sigma TC are not compatible with the sigma 105mm :sweat: how strange...

Looks like i need to look at some sample images of sigma 105mm with kenko TCs..but does the kenkos retain aF, metering?

Thanks xdivider!

Think its bcos of some portruding portion which will interfere with the lense. I have read success stories of pple using the kenkos with AF all that even VR, but i suspect it depend on lense and body combo too. Always bring down ur stuff to try at the shop.

kenko TCs can work with 105mm Sigma. I've tried them before. The 2X TC with 105mm Sigma can produce very impressive pictures, unless u r a perfectionist who wants critically sharp pictures.

Ic...
xdivider: Im using a F80, and yes, i will bring my setup to try on the spot!
Thanks!

SS: u mean it became a TC--tube--lens combo? which TC and tube were you using? thanks..

mylau: looks like kenko might be the way to go for me! any idea how much does the keno 2x cost new/used?

thank u guyz...

just wondering, is the difference in working distance between a 90mm tamron and 105mm significant?

Thanks!!

Wryer said:
SS: u mean it became a TC--tube--lens combo? which TC and tube were you using? thanks..

I was using Sigma 2X TC -- Elcheapo Panagor 21mm extension tube -- 105mm f2.8 macro. Can AF, but I prefer to MF with the Sigma macro lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.