Can Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 be used on a 1D MkII?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkoxide

Sep 3, 2007
Hi,

I'm wondering if a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 can be used on a 1D MKII?

Anyone can help? I can't seem to find out online if it can.

it can probably. its a di lens with is ment for full frame.

Hi,

Why would you want to pair up the 2? If you buy a 1D MkII, please pair with L lens of the same standing. Its like buying a Ferrari and using $ 60.00 tyres.

Why would you want to pair up the 2? If you buy a 1D MkII, please pair with L lens of the same standing. Its like buying a Ferrari and using $ 60.00 tyres.

Errr, why must it be L lens. I have fitted a third party lens which cost about 300 bucks (Takumar 50/1.4) and it perform better than a L lens (Canon 50/1.2L) except for the lack of AF. If you are buying a camera and want to look handsome with your big big DSLR and a nice red ring lens then by all means go ahead. But I rather get the $60.00 tyres as long as it can do a good job rather than spending $200.00 on some tyre that gives the same performance. My advice to TS is --> read all comment that is give, but go down to the shop and hands on yourself. The comment just serve as a guide as to what to look out for. The choice is always yours and your wallet. :angel:

Last edited:
Errr, why must it be L lens. I have fitted a third party lens which cost about 300 bucks (Takumar 50/1.4) and it perform better than a L lens (Canon 50/1.2L) except for the lack of AF. If you are buying a camera and want to look handsome with your big big DSLR and a nice red ring lens then by all means go ahead. But I rather get the $60.00 tyres as long as it can do a good job rather than spending $200.00 on some tyre that gives the same performance. My advice to TS is --> read all comment that is give, but go down to the shop and hands on yourself. The comment just serve as a guide as to what to look out for. The choice is always yours and your wallet. :angel:

I get where you are coming from but can we really relate a tire analogy with AF/MF lenses?

1D MKII is praised for its AF accuracy and speed (Canon-wise). Most seasoned users would definitely recommend a lens capable of matching up to it's AF power as well...

Sorry Pinkoxide, hijack your thread for a quick question.

Hi Wootsk, where you get your Takumar f1.4 lens for EOS mount, care to share a little does it support the electronic exposure metering? did it get any chance to compare to other 3rd party such as Zeiss 50mm f1.4?

Thanks

Why L lens is because if you are spending the $ on a Pro body like what TS is asking about, buying a lens that matches up to the sensor is an issue. I use the analogy of tyres because anyone who drives should know that it is impossible to get $200 tyre performance from $60 tyres. You buy a great camera with a great sensor, spend $4000 on a body and pair it with a sub $1000 lens that actually forms the image. No offense to your Takumar, I have one too it is a CULT lens and the Tammy is not. The subject is not Takumar but Tamron 28-75 so don't muck up the argument by saying why L lens.
Understand what others are trying to say before triggering off. FYI read up on tyres and horsepower related issues before replying that you will spend on $60 tyres. I agree that TS should hands on but don't give unrealistic advise. The Tamron is nice but not on par with the body.

Hi,

Yes you can. Can be mounted on FF, definetely can be mounted as well on 1Dmk2.

If you can get a good copy, this lens gives amazing pics. (only lack of build and AF not as fast as USM). But if u get lemon copy, nightmare... take so looonnng for calibration

Yes it can be used on the 1D Mark II.
Just make sure it is canon mount.
Stop talking about cars and tyres, it's not a tyre forum.

agws1970, it doesn't always have to be a L lens for top grade bodies. What made you come to that conclusion? My 50 1.4 Canon used to perform great on my 1D mark III. The Tamron im sure will have its drawbacks but for the range and the price i think it will do just fine on your body. It will still make use of the 1D Mark II's brilliant 45 point AF system. The sensor is not even FF so the corners won't matter much because they will be cropped.
1d Mark II are 2000$ now. Know where near 4000$

The TS never asked what lens he should buy but whether the lens could be used.

Well said Gee!

If it's compatible, why not?

Tammies have nice glass. Too bad about lenses having to be sent back to Japan for servicnig or repairs though (last I heard. Might be outdated info or inaccurate liao).

I don't understand the mindsets. There are many 3rd party lenses out there that will wack the living daylights outta an L lens anyday of the week, and many of these cost waaaay less than an L. Mind you, I am a Canon lover, but I try to keep my options open.

What's MOST IMPORTANT is YOUR needs and what you are comfortable with pinkoxide.

I don't understand the mindsets. There are many 3rd party lenses out there that will wack the living daylights outta an L lens anyday of the week, and many of these cost waaaay less than an L. Mind you, I am a Canon lover, but I try to keep my options open.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

and yes, TS, the Tamron 28-75 is a full-frame lens so it'll work :)

It works great on my 5D Mark II. I have a 24-70L as well. I don't reallly feel significant image quality difference. The built is worse but that comes with much lighter in weight. That's very good for travel.

Sorry Pinkoxide, hijack your thread for a quick question.

Hi Wootsk, where you get your Takumar f1.4 lens for EOS mount, care to share a little does it support the electronic exposure metering? did it get any chance to compare to other 3rd party such as Zeiss 50mm f1.4?

Thanks

Ok, Taukmar lens cannot be mounted normally on a canon camera, you nd a converter. I get a M42 screw thread lens and a M42 converter, then I can mount the Lens on the converter. There are AF sensor. But they don't really AF as in there is no motor turning, rather it works by signalling that the focus is accurate by giving out a beep sound like how AF works after the motor finish turing and give the beep sound.

CULT Lens??? Dun quite get what he really means, anyway as long as it performs well, cost to performance ratio is good, good build and can last, better if it is very cheap, it is a good Lens :D. Poor maggot like NSF like me with low pay cannot afford expensive stuff ps, I am very poor T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.