Can start registering DNC

user12343

May 15, 2005
At the below website.... see how effective it is. ;p

http://www.dnc.gov.sg/index.html

http://business.asiaone.com/news/do-not-call-registry-opens-consumers
SINGAPORE - From today, consumers who do not wish to receive telemarketing messages can register their Singapore telephone numbers with the Do Not Call (DNC) Registry for free.

Consumers can list their telephone numbers in any or all of the three DNC Registers for voice calls, text messages and faxes through the DNC website at www.dnc.gov.sg. They can also do so via SMS or a toll-free phone number.

Under the requirements of the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (PDPA), local and overseas organisations must check with the DNC Registry to ensure that the Singapore telephone numbers that they are sending telemarketing messages to are not listed in the DNC Registry.

Mr Leong Keng Thai, Chairman of the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) said, "Consumers now have the flexibility to decide if and how they want to receive telemarketing messages. This also means consumers have a greater role to play in protecting their own data. The PDPC will monitor market developments and ensure that the DNC Registry benefits individuals and organisations".

Consumers who register from now till July 2 next year may still receive telemarketing messages for up to 60 days after registration.

Consumers who register after 2 July 2014 may still receive telemarketing messages for up to 30 days. This initial 60-day and subsequent 30-day timeframe is to give organisations time to familiarise themselves with the requirements of the DNC registry.

While registrations with the DNC Registry do not expire, consumers can deregister at any time. Terminated numbers will also be removed from the Registry.

Non-telemarketing messages such as those relating to surveys and customer service are excluded from the scope of the DNC Registry.

While organisations are required to seek consent before collecting, using, and transferring personal data, consumers also have a role to play to protect their personal data, the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) said in a statement.

For example:

Consumers should only give consent to organisations from which they wish to receive telemarketing messages. With consent, organisations will be able to send telemarketing messages to consumers even if they have added their telephone numbers to the DNC Registry. If a consumer does not remember which organisations he/she has given consent to, he/she may contact the respective organisations to check.
Consumers should also contact the organisation to withdraw their consent, if they no longer wish to receive telemarketing messages.
If there is a potential breach, consumers may first approach the organisation to withdraw consent or request that they stop sending marketing messages, failing which they can complain to the PDPC.
- See more at: http://business.asiaone.com/news/do-not-call-registry-opens-consumers#sthash.sPKSTJo5.dpuf

DNC Registry for Organisations

Organisations are required to set up an account with the DNC Registry and submit their lists of telephone numbers.

Organisations can continue sending telemarketing messages to consumers who have registered with the DNC Registry, but only if they have obtained the consent of consumers.

From today, organisations can access the DNC website to create accounts and purchase credits to check telephone numbers.

Access to the registry will be closed to organisations from December 26 to January 1. They may start checking telephone numbers from January 2.

- See more at: http://business.asiaone.com/news/do-not-call-registry-opens-consumers/page/0/1#sthash.MhplPYJd.dpuf

Last edited:
it will take 60 days before your number will be in the system. in the meantime, you will continue to receive spam messages. also, enforcement only kicks in after 2 jan 2014.

Will those call centers in India and Philippines give two hoots about it?

Foreign organizations are covered under the act too.

For now, just register and see whether is it effective. Sure beats having nothing at all to protect yourself from all these time wasting calls.

I just got 2 calls over 3 days asking whether I wana sell my home , sheesh.

The web site is obsolete on arrival.

Samsung smart phone have auto reject calls function.

If you don't want to get calls from China's scammer.

Put +86 in the auto reject list and no one in China can call you :D

The phone also have spam filter.

To filter spam, you can either put the spam phone number or put the spam phase "unsub".

Then the spam message will be going to spam folder, which you can delete later :D

The web site is obsolete on arrival. Samsung smart phone have auto reject calls function. If you don't want to get calls from China's scammer. Put +86 in the auto reject list and no one in China can call you :D The phone also have spam filter. To filter spam, you can either put the spam phone number or put the spam phase "unsub". Then the spam message will be going to spam folder, which you can delete later :D

Private numbers can block on Samsung too ? ;)

The web site is obsolete on arrival.
Samsung smart phone have auto reject calls function.[...]
And how would your smart phone handle those 'Private Number' calls or 'Unknown number' calls? That's the bulk of all the spam calls I get, the few SMS about some property sales I can laugh about ..

DNC also cannot block private number :bsmilie:

Do you think those scammers will check DNC before they call you ?

Last edited:
DNC also cannot block private number :bsmilie: Do you think those scammers will check DNC before they call you ?

They will sadly have to identify themselves when u pick up the call and that's when u can send back a complaint that the company has called me when I'm on the DNC list.

Companies are supposed to check and skim out numbers on the registry before starting the spamming.

DNC doesn't block the calls ;) that's probably too high tech and a service I guess the telcos will he happy to sell if they manage to do this

DNC also cannot block private number :bsmilie:
DNC is not a technical implementation. What do you expect them to block?
DNC is a database where users can register themselves to be excluded from advertising calls. Advertising companies have to consult the records and remove listed phone numbers from their calling list.
Do you think those scammers will check DNC before they call you ?
Well, that's my question which you believed can be answered with your smart phone.
Legally they have to. But then again: back to my question about calls without caller ID, some of which are coming even from Singapore.

Last edited:
DNC is not a technical implementation. What do you expect them to block? DNC is a database where users can register themselves to be excluded from advertising calls. Advertising companies have to consult the records and remove listed phone numbers from their calling list. Well, that's my question which you believed can be answered with your smart phone. Legally they have to. But then again: back to my question about calls without caller ID, some of which are coming even from Singapore.

True. But if some one calls you and say that they represent Bank X, then you should patiently take down their particulars and then call the authority to whack Bank X. Technically, Bank X is liable under the new laws, I believe.

Of course, Bank X can claim "not my people." But after a while, why would someone not in the payroll of Bank X call you claiming to represent Bank X and trying to sell you Bank X's products - other than a prank call?

I expect to see those smlc property launch spam sms to be drastically reduced.

It is a step in the right direction. Registered.

The best is don't registered your number to anyone at all

True. But if some one calls you and say that they represent Bank X, then you should patiently take down their particulars and then call the authority to whack Bank X. Technically, Bank X is liable under the new laws, I believe.

Of course, Bank X can claim "not my people." But after a while, why would someone not in the payroll of Bank X call you claiming to represent Bank X and trying to sell you Bank X's products - other than a prank call?

Yeah but my time wasted already. I want preventive, not remedial measure

The best is don't registered your number to anyone at all

It's no use, even if one doesn't register own numbers, since they cold call.

Yeah but my time wasted already. I want preventive, not remedial measure
Get a new number and don't share with any of your friends, relatives, office mates, acquaintances, mistresses (if any) And of course, black out your number from your business cards. These are typical ways of numbers getting circulated and used for spam messages and calls. Gonna be lonely life for you...
Have you ever read the clauses under any government document with regards to your personal data? Makes the whole Data Protection Act look a bit silly and wasted ..