Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)?

Can Sony alpha challenge the major DSLR player (Canon/Nikon)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahbeng

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
The new Sony Alpha DSLRS will be based on the existing Alpha / Maxxum / Dynax lens mount, which is good news for current Konica Minolta DSLR owners. But how much of an impact do you think Sony will have on the wider DSLR market, where Canon and Nikon retain the lion’s share? Can Sony make a bigger impression than Konica Minolta ever did, and challenge the major players, or will they be competing with the likes of Pentax and Samsung instead? Who do you think Sony’s first DSLR will be aimed at - will it be en entry-level model, prosumer or professional? Shout out now…

It might in other markets, but not here I feel.

Canon/Nikon had entrenched themselves too firmly here as the 2 most prominent and recognisable brands for the SLR market.

ahbeng said:
The new Sony Alpha DSLRS will be based on the existing Alpha / Maxxum / Dynax lens mount, which is good news for current Konica Minolta DSLR owners. But how much of an impact do you think Sony will have on the wider DSLR market, where Canon and Nikon retain the lion’s share? Can Sony make a bigger impression than Konica Minolta ever did, and challenge the major players, or will they be competing with the likes of Pentax and Samsung instead? Who do you think Sony’s first DSLR will be aimed at - will it be en entry-level model, prosumer or professional? Shout out now…

i thought this thread was posted very long ago :sweat::sweat: (some things shd be known by now)

sony's marketing muscle will help bring in more consumers from PnS/prosumer....

pentax is becoming like KM ....little or no marketing, even though its a great system also :(

jsbn said:
It might in other markets, but not here I feel.

Canon/Nikon had entrenched themselves too firmly here as the 2 most prominent and recognisable brands for the SLR market.

Try Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong & US... it will shake their grounds...

If Sony stops supplying CCD to Nikon, Sony would take up the no.2 place.

Actually I quite support Pentax one.. Really feel sad that such a great system is being under-rated.. Their 10-17 Fisheye zoom is 1 great lens..:thumbsup:

dr34mc4st3r said:
i thought this thread was posted very long ago :sweat::sweat: (some things shd be known by now)

sony's marketing muscle will help bring in more consumers from PnS/prosumer....

pentax is becoming like KM ....little or no marketing, even though its a great system also :(

YES!!!

Only if C&N don't change for next few years.

Sony just has to buy over Canon and Nikon... what's there to challenge?

Sony can mount a challenge in the mainstream market. Pro range I doubt so. Me thinks they are more interested in making HUGE money than making HUGE statements.

Sony is coming strong...their ads campaign are everywhere.

A100 is selling well, and if their next PRO DSLR is equipped with the major features of the A100 + more...then it can be a winner :)

Don't forget about Zeiss lenses support to Sony...

I certainly hope not... I've gone through life trying not to buy Sony wherever possible and I hope to continue. And no, I've NO rationale for not buying Sony (and they've made it very tough for me in the past few years !!). Just one of those brands I really like to avoid (like French wine).

I just feel Sony is a little too diverse to have real impact in the mid to high-end DSLR arena but if they get their business model right they may catch the lower end of the market...coupled with their talent for making bits of plastic look pretty.

Anybody know when Sony last came out with something really original? Hold on, no...I've got it...the Sony Walkman, 1979. :bsmilie:

Robbo73 said:
Anybody know when Sony last came out with something really original? Hold on, no...I've got it...the Sony Walkman, 1979. :bsmilie:

Say say say. :bsmilie:

Yup, its true Sony has a diverse market thats why some of its 'loyal' customers will buy their products when choosing between a new Sony DigiCam and say a Canon PnS cam.

Great Difficulty to win, Sony has. :p

Not very sure :sweat:

But it sure make the stagnant C & N brand dominated market more interesting. More strong product competitions = more benefits for consumers ;p

TMC said:
They made a toy.
exactly ...a toy that sell well

Klose said:
Sony can mount a challenge in the mainstream market. Pro range I doubt so. Me thinks they are more interested in making HUGE money than making HUGE statements.
not now and not in the near future.....there might be a possibility but then who know what will happen in future for all we know pentax and olympus willl overtake the lead :think:
the battle had just began...

is it? most of the camera shops I have been to here, havent moved more than 3 units since the A100 launch. Maybe Yodobashi Camera, but then even the guy I know over there shakes his head. :bsmilie: They still move more 350D and D70s then the A100.

Status
Not open for further replies.