Mar 11, 2003
North East
www.kelvinseet.com
Its printed at the back:

DIN
15 18 21 24 27

ASA
25 50 100 200 400

and f-stops above those numbers at various combinations. Any idea?

what's DIN? ASA is the ISO ah?

Thanks!

Hi,

There are a lot of explanation needed.

I just give you some and hope other can give you more.

Din or ASA is a grading of film sensitivity by different countrty. Din, if I am not wrong is Europe grading and ASA is American grading. Din 21 is the same as ASA 100.

Some call it film speed - speed of accepting the light.

Aperture and shutter speed is a combination, called exposure, to allow proper amount of light to create an images on the film.

For example, on bright cloudy day, aperture of f16 at the shutter speed of 1/250 secs can be changed to an aperture of f8 at the shutter speed of 1/500 secs - either exposure will be accurate. ( if you measure it using your camera of light meter )

This comibination is also call exposure value - EV for short.

I hope it give you some idea to digest first.

I hope other can continue to add on to assist you.

Regards
chunsan

chunsan said:
Hi,

There are a lot of explanation needed.

Regards
chunsan

Hi Chunsan!

Thanks for the enlightenment! :) Now I know what's DIN. I really appreciate your reply!

By the way, my flash seems to be a super simple flash. No buttons to press, no settings to choose. Guess its just a shoot and flash kind.

Any suggestions how to test my flash distance etc? Thanks!

Hi,

I hope this will help you.

Usually there should be a table at the back of the flash to show distance,
ASA. and aperture to use.

Eg: At 10 feet, ASA 100 the F-Stop usually is F5.6 - all this is for a normal flash with GN of 30.

Base on Inverse law of light, every change of distance will change the power of light. Eg: if the distance is cut by 2 feet to 8 feet, your aperture should be f8. Vise versa if it add another 2 feet, the f stop should be f4.

Another method is using light meter. use a measuring tape and measure the distance. Start with 10 feet distance and fire the flash to test the f stop. Use every 2 feet in change of distance.

Is your flash is purely a TTL flash for the camera made - eg nikon or canon?
Is that is the case, perhaps it has no flash distance table at all.

Then you need to change to a higher model flash of your camera made( eg nikon or canon).

Hope this help you.

Regards
chunsan

hi chunsan!

thanks for the info! My flash does have a table behind, so I'll try to interpret it according to what you said. Thanks for the assistance!
:)

REally appreciate your guidance!

Status
Not open for further replies.