Can someone enlighten me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjing

Sep 11, 2006
what is the use of having good cameras and good lenses if you can make the photos look damn nice using photoshop (those photos i saw here which i believe are all photoshopped). Therefore just master photoshop! no need expensive lenses!
someone enlighten me please?

anyone can enlighten me please?

A properly exposed photo = less than 1 min to edit (minus effects)
A poorly exposed photo = 5 mins to edit. (just to save the photo)

If I have taken 100 good photographs, I spend less than 2 hrs editing

If I have taken 100 lousy photographs, I spend ..... OMG! I may spend less time cos I might throw all of them away.

Just my 2c... or even less...

;p

imo, photoshop is to further enhance the photo or correct certain values/variables and in some cases, 'special' effects that cannot or difficult to be achieved in normal conditions.

a good lens will complement a good camera. the pictures produced by quality lens can never be matched by a cheaper lens. and i havent even touch on the focusing speed, aperture value, built quality, CA, vignetting, distortion and so on.

and so yeah, just my $0.02...

Thanks.
But how bad can a photo be if taken from a cheap lens when is photoshopped very nicely? you cant tell whether its from a expensive lens or cheaps lens once photoshopped with nice effects.

Hi Chjing, I kinda echo your sentiments, anything that has been touched up by photoshop loses its originality. I'd just picked up photography a month ago and realised how amazing photoshop makes wonders.

Now, I'd began to be able to tell if the picture has been fine-tuned by photoshop, despite being strongly against photoshop (and even tripod), bet we have no choice but to go with with trend ain't it ? After all, one can tell if the picture is original or photoshopped ;)

Most important is, enjoy what you are doing :)

Cheers,
Fel

what is the use of having good cameras and good lenses if you can make the photos look damn nice using photoshop (those photos i saw here which i believe are all photoshopped). Therefore just master photoshop! no need expensive lenses!
someone enlighten me please?
before you are to receive enlightenment, i suggest you remove that heavily-filtered telephoto+macro+teleconverter+extension-tubed lens off your mind's lens mount.

a piece of paper when burnt will turn to ash. but you cannot apply fire to ash and turn it into paper. go figure.

Thanks felteh.
you truly understood wat i meant. i mean there is nothing wrong in photoshopping. just that one must differentiate between photography skills and photoshopping skills. :)

just a friendly debate and discussion. i mean no harm :)

Thanks felteh.
you truly understood wat i meant. i mean there is nothing wrong in photoshopping. just that one must differentiate between photography skills and photoshopping skills. :)
wow, you seemed very enlightened already! *sacarstic tone*

stop that bullshitting part about wanting to be enlightened when your intention all along is to lead people into saying the things u really wanted to say.

actually photoshop can onli do this much...... a good lens will futher complement photoshop. To spend so much time editing is a big waste of time. Also with good lens, photoshop can do the job even better :) my 2 cents worth

I won't even bother spending time on lousy pics. IMHO in this age, you need to have both good photography skills and good editting skills to enhance already good images to make it even more striking.

stereobox, then can you enlighten me wat i am leading people to say?
I dun know myself.
This is just a friendly discussion and exhanging of opinions.

PS for me just helps me get more oomph out of the 'keeper' shots and helps to save those on the brink of disaster :D. I need the tele lenses to compress backgrounds and isolate subjects (you cant do that in PS without MAJOR headaches) and wider angle lenses to capture more of the scene. That's something you cannot do in PS.

Thanks everyone for ENLIGHTENING me!

Thanks felteh.

There is a place for everything - there is nothing wrong with photoshop and I use it a lot myself. Yes, you can lift a crappy picture taken with crappy lenses up with some photoshop magic but with good equipment, good photography foundation + photoshop magic you can really push the limits.

Then again, where does one draw the line in using photoshop to enhance a picture or to distort reality? Check out the following :

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/

In addition, in the heyday of film (i.e. no Photoshop), taking the picture is not everything. There is the darkroom, where arcane secrets of manipulating the results were done. And today we also have the Digital Darkroom, of which Photoshop plays a major part.

To roughly quote from a Photoshop book - "Jennifer Lopez' image reportedly remained 3 weeks in the photo-editing studio for a modeling campaign." Darkroom techniques, whether traditional or digital, play a major role in photography.

you got play video games ? It's like building up your character level.
My character : Bahibo
Class : Newbie photographer.
Photography skill : 30
weapons : 1.4 lens super sharp --> +10
special skill : super photoshop cs2 --> +10
----------------------------------------
Overall attack power = my photo quality :50.

What i mean is that :

1-Your skill is most important.

2-When u use film,there is a stage called dark room, in digital,that stage is put the photo file in ur pc then print. Edit it or not is ur choice,u only want to print,then print. But i think u know that the editing (or process in film) is one significant part in the quality of your photo's quality

3-The lens or in general, equipments. Some people from outside may look in our CS and say "waa,these people, photoshop can give the photo which produce by low class cam the same look with their d200 1.4 lens, so they just like those collector or to obsessed with their cam or one way too throw money" ---> it's not really right my friend.

My arguements are :

-When u (and me ) begin,we use kit lens, and i feel my 18-55 or 12-24 produce the same. The 12-24 may be sharper,the colour may be nicer,but i can use photoshop to do it,or even better.--> So what the point.

-But as i learn more, i learned how to fully or just more about how to unlock those ability of the lens that's sleeping waiting for true photographers --> that's when i know it's sharpness can't use sharpening to achieve,it's colour photoshop can create but not so easily ,the boken u can't make.

-You may say that's : Common,bahibo got no proof,he just say that only good photographer will respect and need good equipments. NO! Amateurs also realize the need for them.

+ U stated "good lens" so i'll talk about good lens.

. The f stop, in situation that u need 1.8, 1.4. What u do ? U have some option,use tripod - but downside is shutter speed to slow, you boost iso - noise , photoshop can fix noise but not really,look closer,don't need to be pixel by pixel,just print 8r and see . So what u do ? You choose to shoot at Iso 800 or 400,with widest f.stop you have. What if the photo underexpose ? Ur shadow/hightlight can't fix.

. The sharpness :this i don't need to say much,sharpen in photoshop (even smart sharpen ) will really affect the photo in the bad way. And how can u add the detail that aren't in ur photo ?

. Boken - i'm not sure got effect can create the efffect of 400 2.8 ( just pretend got this lens in the world )

. How fast the auto focus ,how quite it's focus. The moment..means everything to photographers.

And there is some special lens ,most common is macro lens .

*My 2 cents thought:
How well can ur photoshop remove flare if the lens not well coated.
How well ur photoshope can add the sharpness if the cam and the lens don't produce that in the data.
And ur photoshops can remove what newbie called dark corner if the wide lens is too bad ? Or the light fall out....etc

So am i saying photoshop bad. No man. Photoshop is the dark room stage, i was mainly use film, so i respect what that stage can do. Not like newbie think, photograph for enthusiatist is not only the photo come straight out from the cam but the film ( or the digital cam sensor ) and how you do post processing. U will understand why i won't go to Kodak express but Konota to get my film ,colour or b&w developed. Photoshop important like that to digital,but it's not everything, if it's as u stage , only photoshop and some photo skill , it's like u play RPG with only some high magic (ur photoshop ) and some low or middle class weapon and armour ,and u are facing Ultima Weapon :)

* You may say we are perfectionist, actually, we all want to move toward the perfect stage,just trying to reach the top . And we aren't afford to shoot again, go home,not good, go back shoot again,the moment, when it come, we want to face it with the best we have. Then we can take that and go home to make it better.
Thanks for reading my long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.