Can someone confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcuf2

Dec 29, 2005
KFC
hi all, i m a newbie to digital slr and i just got myself the D50 ydae.
the qn i wanna ask is, i used the kit lens and i tried to use a shutter speed of 1/4000 but i got a totally dark image despite high iso and f3.5. My in built flash also couldnt work at that shutter speed..

thus, am i rite to say that:
(a) i need to get a better flash? eg. the speed lites
(b) Change the lens to one with with f/2.8?
so that i can shoot at 1/4000

pardon me for the newbie qn... thanks in advance for any advises

1. To shoot at a shutter speed of 4000, your subject should be in bright light. e.g. day light. Unless you were shooting in bright day light, ou are likely to get a dark image in that shutter speed.

2. Flash sync in best of cameras is largely limited to shutter speed of 250, hence any flash you use will not be able to shoot at that speed unless you set it to high sync speed, which is used for speciality conditions.

hope this helps.

i was shooting in my room with the room lights on. I thought it was bright enough but it turn out totally dark in my pics.. is room lights insufficiency the reason for it?

kcuf2 said:
i was shooting in my room with the room lights on. I thought it was bright enough but it turn out totally dark in my pics.. is room lights insufficiency the reason for it?

i guess its not bright enough cos 1/4000 is really fast.

icic....thanks a lot ppl for the advise, i will go into the bright sun in the park tml and try again...

happy new yr!

kcuf2, metering is very important. You cannot agar gar try this try that just to see if shooting outside will give good result. If you do not have a flash meter, use the camera's in-built meter which will tell you at 1/4000, what is the correct aperture setting. If you set the aperture correctly according to the meter your pictures will come out right. If by agar-ration, even the most seasoned professional may get it wrong.
If you do not now how to meter and adjust manually, set the camera to 'P'. As long as if you press the shutter halfway and nothing shows on the -.....l.....+ then you're ok. If an indication appears on either side, the lightling condition is not ideal for shooting at 1/4000.

you'll have to understand that even the best dslrs nowhere matches the human eye's perception of bright or dark lights. the eye is extremely adaptive to all sorts of lighting conditions and adjusts accordingly.

Heartshape said:
kcuf2, metering is very important. You cannot agar gar try this try that just to see if shooting outside will give good result. If you do not have a flash meter, use the camera's in-built meter which will tell you at 1/4000, what is the correct aperture setting. If you set the aperture correctly according to the meter your pictures will come out right. If by agar-ration, even the most seasoned professional may get it wrong.
If you do not now how to meter and adjust manually, set the camera to 'P'. As long as if you press the shutter halfway and nothing shows on the -.....l.....+ then you're ok. If an indication appears on either side, the lightling condition is not ideal for shooting at 1/4000.

Yeah, check your metering on the viewfinder to see if there is sufficient lighting for the shot. Use "M" to set to 1/4000 and see if the metering is at the centre portion. You need to have a proper pair of aperture and shuttle speed with a +/-1...for sufficient lighting.

kcuf2 said:
try ISO 800, 1/40, f3.5 in your room, the exposure should be around there.

another things is from f3.5 to f2.8 is half a stop different, but you have to pay another $2k for the lens.

and also, if you want to using your eyes to judge exposure, is possible, please remember Basic Daylight Exposure Guide (BDE) by hard, plus lots of practice. Many photographers can do that.

kcuf2 said:
the qn i wanna ask is, i used the kit lens and i tried to use a shutter speed of 1/4000 but i got a totally dark image despite high iso and f3.5. My in built flash also couldnt work at that shutter speed..

This is the best advice I can give you base on what I think you are doing with your camera.

First off, You are not just new to your D50 but you are totally new to photography basic. Before you even read the camera manual (which will confuse you even more), you need to buy some books or take up a basic course in photography to learn how a DSLR or SLR camera actually works and how it capture exposures. I think personally that this entry level D50 is even too much for you to handle at this time apart from maybe shooting with it on fully auto mode. But even then they will be instances even that will not work like when using it at 1/4000 in a room with average lighting.

Your D50 is only as good as you are competent with using it. Judging from your message you should have started of with a Prosumer Point & Shoot. The D50 like any DSLRs type camera or even SLRs, they require you to learn basics and more to get the most out of it.

I can tell you unless the sky is really sunny and you open up your apeture...you will still be getting under exposed shots ...EVEN at 1/4000! You need to learning things like light metering to know why you are not able to shoot at such high speed. The camera is not a magical one that let you choose any and everything setting and all the pictures will come out pretty and fine. You need to have some background and familiarity to fully appreciate this fine piece of equipment you both.

I would venture further to say that at this point. STOP buying anything else till you learn your basics. Money is not going to solve any of the present and future problems you will face with this camera. heh.

with money you can rent a photog to take the pictures for you..

or go for a course to learn the basics as sammy888 has already mentioned

In normal room light conditions, you won't even be able to get a proper exposure with 1/125, let alone 1/4000 even if the largest F/2.8 aperture is used and without flash.

Room appears bright only because the pupil in our eyes are wide open as they automatically adjust to the amount of light.

Need to learn basic photography first.

kcuf2 said:

Honestly, I can't recall when I ever shoot anything at 1/4000s,

anyway, if it is outdoor under bright sun light (Sunnny f16) , for using f3.5, with 1/4000s, your ISO should be around 96000 (4½ stops).

Agree with the rest. Why do you want to shoot at 1/4000s? Gives you no additional benefit.
If you want to freeze action, 1/1000s more than sufficient to freeze almost ANY action.

An external speedlite or a fast lens won't help you at the moment. Your basics are lacking, and your proposed settings are WAY off what any competent photographer would even consider. Buying other equipment will only complicate your life without delivering results. Read up or go for lessons instead.

catchlights said:
Honestly, I can't recall when I ever shoot anything at 1/4000s,

1/4000s might be around what you get with studio flashlights, no? :)

Hi,
Happy New Year to everyone out there.I'm still using SLR at the moment but I need to get a 2nd hand cam for cannon.On my mind I was thinking to get D60 but then I don't know where to starting looking for a 2nd hand cam.Please advice.

Try getting a 300D or 350D. Dont think anyone is going to let go of their D30 or D60 nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.