Can someone advise what is the normal lifespan of a DSLR camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wecx77

Apr 1, 2009
My 2yrs plus 400D gave up to power on last friday. Argh....!!!! Felt so lost and "powerless".....sigh......

My 2yrs plus 400D gave up to power on last friday. Argh....!!!! Felt so lost and "powerless".....sigh......

It happens. Most digital cams are not built to last forever. Even the CCDs have a life span.

Z

:think: so fast? I thought the shutter would go first.

True story:

Imagine a world where manufacturers built products that lasted forever... they'd go out of business in months!

Reality:

Why build to last when a "reasonable lifespan" generates "repeat customers"?

Sad to say it but yes. Just cant power up. Me thought of getting a 7D and my 400D becomes a backup cam but now this happen.......
Really dunno what went wrong.

Sad to say it but yes. Just cant power up. Me thought of getting a 7D and my 400D becomes a backup cam but now this happen.......
Really dunno what went wrong.

Why not call to check if they are able to give your camera a free "checkup", to determine the cause, and see how from there, if its worth to repair.

Hello, wecx77. A 2 year plus 400D going kaput like that... well, it is an unbelievably short life span.
Truly, I would first take it down to the shop from where I bought it and ask for their opinion. Sometimes the answer could be very straight forward. I admit not knowing enough technically to explain why your camera doesn't power up.
Worse case scenario - send to Canon Service Centre.

Another question. What was your usage pattern like? Most digital cams tend to go faster if they are not used often.

Z

I think the model is not very good thanks for letting us know. Like my Fuji S2 after 5 years still going strong

I think the model is not very good thanks for letting us know. Like my Fuji S2 after 5 years still going strong

Oh... what an interesting comment you have there, sharpshooter22.
Of course, i would take it that it is your personal opinion, and I think it is right for me to respect that.
On my ground, I beg to differ. My 400D served me well. Very well.
And I am sure there are users of 400D in the forum who would stand by their machines.

I think the model is not bad thanks for letting us know. :dunno:

Perhaps you could make more constructive discussions, such as elaborating on why you think the model is not very good, rather than just making a seemingly random statement? Even though I'm not a Canon user, I find it rather inappropriate to just post that.

Last edited:

:bsmilie: how amazing... one person's camera die and you conclude that model is not very good?:bsmilie:

Gentlemen, gentlemen...it's ok.
I just realised that our fellow CS-er sharpshooter has been putting up the following thread to sell his Fuji S2.
Here, have a look:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587098

I am sure his Fuji S2 is still going strong after 5 years. And I believe that he is just trying to make a point with respect to his WTS post.
Let's give him a chance here...
But what an interesting way to inflate his Fuji S2 (with no disrespect to Fuji users) at the expense of the Canon 400D. Haha... but again, after looking at the Public Profile, I think time will mellow his future comments.

Last edited:
Hi Zohan, me usage pretty frequent leh. Not sure where went wrong. Not sure if related to the battery grip(original but 2nd hand) me recently added but it survived throughout the SIN09 takes. :confused:
Me din keep in a dry box though. Could this be the cause?
I am sending to CSC but worries end up Kaput again. It there any thread in CS to prolong/maintain a DSLR cam?

True story:

Imagine a world where manufacturers built products that lasted forever... they'd go out of business in months!

Reality:

Why build to last when a "reasonable lifespan" generates "repeat customers"?

Agreed, ( apply only to digital product ) it goes the same for human beings too. The world will be explode with people from since Adam and Eve. But then, there are analogue camera still functioning after 50 - 60s years of service. Mine currently just past its 25th years.

Two years, in my opinion is certainly too short, five years sound more reasonable.

Last edited:
Send to CSC and see if they can do anything. My 300D died too (the shutter button went before the shutter anyway) like in slightly more than 2 years -- so I know how you feel. It now stays in the dry cabinet and comes out only occasionally to take pictures of things that MF can keep up with. I think Canon once claimed that they replace half their products every 18 months --- sigh poor us consumers. Hopefully CSC has some good news for you -- it might be a really small problem!!

It happens. Most digital cams are not built to last forever. Even the CCDs have a life span.

Z

But still cannot be such a short life span.

My 400D is 2 years plus with about 6000 actuations. Still okay except for some peeling at the sides.

TS, send it down to CSC to diagnose what's wrong.

the day the electronics or mirror mechanism or battery cease to be available?

Just wonder have you tried
1) Used another battery?
2) Power on without memory card and lens?

Hum interesting topic of discussion. I become wondering how long usually your camera last? hum... based on the warranty, maybe around 15-18 months is their expected life span?

Status
Not open for further replies.