Can someone advise what is the normal lifespan of a DSLR camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try changing batteries? Maybe the internal battery is dead?

Hum interesting topic of discussion. I become wondering how long usually your camera last? hum... based on the warranty, maybe around 15-18 months is their expected life span?

xiao! 15-18 mths expectancy?!

i'd expect at least 4years plus, maybe some minor issues in between that need simple servicing but it should be durable for a long time...

my trusty IXUS60 works perfectly fine even now after 4 years. only went for service once (during warranty) for the battery contacts.

Hi Guys,
Me tested the below cases:

Power up with LENS : No power.
Power up without LENS : No power.
Power up with CF card : No power.
Power up without CF card: No power.
With the result recevied, me also become no power. :(
Never drop, use pretty frequent, never used under rain .........:cry:

Send to CSC for service today. Hopefully no after shock to know the price to pay. :sweat:

By the way, can anyone advise how I reply to a specific reply msg?
Notice "Originally posted by"..... then add in the new reply. Thanks!

Hi Guys,
Me tested the below cases:

Power up with LENS : No power.
Power up without LENS : No power.
Power up with CF card : No power.
Power up without CF card: No power.
With the result recevied, me also become no power. :(
Never drop, use pretty frequent, never used under rain .........:cry:

Send to CSC for service today. Hopefully no after shock to know the price to pay. :sweat:

By the way, can anyone advise how I reply to a specific reply msg?
Notice "Originally posted by"..... then add in the new reply. Thanks!

On the post you want to reply specific to, click on the "Quote" button/link and type away (on top or below of the quote up to you).

Hope your cam comes back fine!

The advise should have come from each individual manufacturer.

Something like...

under normal usage, wear and tear...this unit should have a working lifespan of _ _ years from date of purchase.

together with some disclaimer and conditions.

Usually the limitations placed on hardware is on "shutter clicks" or as some of us are terming now as "mirror flips". These two are the main moving parts in the camera and hence usually used as the "lifespan" of the DSLR.

Attending the Canon Product Familiarization Course, the ballpark figure was about 20k-30k flips on a 500D/1000D and about 100k for a 50D. A cursory check with Canon Service Center confirms that warranty (and hence extended warranty) doesn't cover wear and tear (and hence the mirror/shutter).

As quoted from the training center: "Continuous shooting is a nice function, but that doesn't mean you have to use it all the time." Shooting continously all the time at 3.4fps or hell, 7fps will kill your camera much faster... think of it as using a Stimpack on a terran marine (starcraft ref).

Another reminder was from my friend that I found very valid was the usage of Live-view... it seems to cause the mirror to keep flipping when composing and during shooting. While seemingly harmless, it does contribute to hastened wear-and-tear issues. Not that I'm demoting the functions, but rather just to remind you that the added powers come with side effects.

Cheers.

2 yrs, is abit short. But if you shoot alot. The shutter will die first, then just need to get a replacements ... Read more on shutter counts.

Usually the limitations placed on hardware is on "shutter clicks" or as some of us are terming now as "mirror flips". These two are the main moving parts in the camera and hence usually used as the "lifespan" of the DSLR.

Attending the Canon Product Familiarization Course, the ballpark figure was about 20k-30k flips on a 500D/1000D and about 100k for a 50D. A cursory check with Canon Service Center confirms that warranty (and hence extended warranty) doesn't cover wear and tear (and hence the mirror/shutter).

As quoted from the training center: "Continuous shooting is a nice function, but that doesn't mean you have to use it all the time." Shooting continously all the time at 3.4fps or hell, 7fps will kill your camera much faster... think of it as using a Stimpack on a terran marine (starcraft ref).

Another reminder was from my friend that I found very valid was the usage of Live-view... it seems to cause the mirror to keep flipping when composing and during shooting. While seemingly harmless, it does contribute to hastened wear-and-tear issues. Not that I'm demoting the functions, but rather just to remind you that the added powers come with side effects.

Cheers.

i tot the mirror remains flipped up during live view? it does flip down and up everytime you take a shot though, but didnt really think it contributed much to the shutter count.
having said that, i still refrain from using live view.... somehow i have this idea (probably wrong) that exposing the sensor to light (esp the sun) too often reduces its lifespan :bsmilie:

i tot the mirror remains flipped up during live view? it does flip down and up everytime you take a shot though, but didnt really think it contributed much to the shutter count.
having said that, i still refrain from using live view.... somehow i have this idea (probably wrong) that exposing the sensor to light (esp the sun) too often reduces its lifespan :bsmilie:

More like reduces battery life. ;p

Me 400D back from CSC and I think strange things just happen. :bigeyes::bigeyes:
CSC said there is nothing wrong with me 400D body, battery or battery charger and best of all, no charges as not parts replacement.

Great :) Maybe it was just a loose connection somewhere.

Me 400D back from CSC and I think strange things just happen. :bigeyes::bigeyes:
CSC said there is nothing wrong with me 400D body, battery or battery charger and best of all, no charges as not parts replacement.

OMG i juz bought my first dslr 3 weeks ago... and the model is 400D!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.