Can somebody explain Metering?

beebeeice

Aug 14, 2010
Serangoon
Hello guys! ;) Got a question to ask. What is metering? Searched the forum and still not enlightened. Read the manual but also still not enlightened.

I am using a 550D right now. Switched to Spot Metering but i have no idea about anything.

What are the different meterings use for and in what situations?

Metering is what tells your camera what the correct exposure is.

Please try google. Really, just do a search for: "How does photography metering work"

hey good link from canon

in short, metering is where the camera determines the shuttle speed, aperture and/or AWB to use. (depends on what mode ur camera is in)
Spot Metering is whereby the selected Focus Point is use to determine the above.

for a newbie tip, maybe you wanna switch to centre weighted metering. Sometimes Spot Metering can be too small and precise to give your photo the correct exposure.

If I'm not wrong, some cameras only spot meter off the center, irregardless of your focus point selection.

And there's no such thing as shuttle speed with regards to cameras... best to check with NASA on shuttle speed.

Hello guys! ;) Got a question to ask. What is metering? Searched the forum and still not enlightened. Read the manual but also still not enlightened.

I am using a 550D right now. Switched to Spot Metering but i have no idea about anything.

What are the different meterings use for and in what situations?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm

in short, metering is where the camera determines the shuttle speed, aperture and/or AWB to use. (depends on what mode ur camera is in)
Spot Metering is whereby the selected Focus Point is use to determine the above.

for a newbie tip, maybe you wanna switch to centre weighted metering. Sometimes Spot Metering can be too small and precise to give your photo the correct exposure.

If I'm not wrong, some cameras only spot meter off the center, irregardless of your focus point selection.

And there's no such thing as shuttle speed with regards to cameras... best to check with NASA on shuttle speed.

Yup. Spot metering on Canon camera bodies lower than the 1D series means center AF point metering only.

best check the nearest badminton court, they have lots of shuttle there. :)

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

lol.. i think this thread abit OT aldr XD

Anyways, thanks for the links. Reading them now.

usually spot metering work best with AE locks.
i use this most of the time. evaluative is a little hard to predict when there's mixed lighting.