Can some pros give some tips on night photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mem0riess

Jan 23, 2009
North
Hi, I'm going to shoot some Ion Orchard Christmas Tree and it's interior part later on at night.

Mind giving me some tips on what's the best iso, f/stop, shutter speed to stay with, what to look out for and what not to do.
Thanks.

P/S, i will not bring tripod along.

Hi, I'm going to shoot some Ion Orchard Christmas Tree and it's interior part later on at night.

Mind giving me some tips on what's the best iso, f/stop, shutter speed to stay with, what to look out for and what not to do.
Thanks.

P/S, you should bring tripod along.... :)

P/S, you should bring tripod along.... :)

Burnings, i'm going to shoot the christmas tree and the interior part of the christmas tree, and my tripod is so heavy. LOL.

Hmm, whats iso/fstop/shutter speed should i stay with?

tripod would be good to have, else u'll have to bump ur ISO.

with tripod
keep the ISO as low as possible, ard 200-400
probably f6.4 or smaller

without tripod
for usable shutter speed, i supposed u need at least around 1600 or more with f5.6

if u wan good pics, dont be lazy and bring the heavy tripod =)

Last edited:

Thanks.

The 'interior part' is indoor or outdoor? Since you won't be bringing your tripod, I think you should use the shutter speed priority mode. Try to have a shutter as fast as possible. And try bumping up your iso to like what wdEvA said, 200-400. But I don't know if it's true, many people said that Nikon handles noise very well so you can try 800/1600 too.

What you should not do is using your built-in flash when taking photos of the huge Christmas Tree. :bsmilie:

if don't want to bring tripod then might as well don't go and save your time... night time even in Orchard you'll shooting ISO1600 almost all of the time... indoor may might drop to ISO640 or so...

diffused flash is a good choice as well... but i personally think it's tough to light up an area that large...

good luck...

Burnings, i'm going to shoot the christmas tree and the interior part of the christmas tree, and my tripod is so heavy. LOL.

You can do 4 things:

1. hire a photographer's assistant, or
2. Buy an expensive carbon fiber super light tripod, or
3. Give up photography using DSLR, or
4. be a man and carry the tripod irregardless.

Your choice.

Last edited:
What tripod are you using and how heavy is it?

mem0riess said:

Thanks.

why oh why do you keep persisting in asking what settings to use, etc...?
You've been PM-ing me incessantly asking how to do this and that, etc...
Honestly, one thing I can't stand is laziness, expecting to be spoon-fed with info. If you can't even be bothered to try first, I really have no motivation to share any knowledge with you.

Without knowing how bright it is or what effect you're trying to create, how can anyone possibly advise you what shutter speed to stay with? Or what ISO for that matter?
Go there, set up, and experiment.

If you don't want to bring your tripod along, just stay home. Forget about taking the christmas lights.

You can do 4 things:

1. hire a photographer's assistant, or
2. Buy an expensive carbon fiber super light tripod, or
3. Give up photography using DSLR, or
4. be a man and carry the tripod irregardless.

Your choice.
can also ask the building management to install more lights.
or upgrade to highend DLSR, able to shoot with si beh high ISO without visible noise. ;)

can also ask the building management to install more lights.
or upgrade to highend DLSR, able to shoot with si beh high ISO without visible noise. ;)

hAHA all suggestions are useful but TS needs to go there another night:bsmilie:

Better to just bring a pns if you don't want to carry a tripod.

Think of carrying a tripod as a workout.

Thanks.

ok i will answer your questions, based on what you have posted

ISO Speed - we do not know your camera, so you will have to answer this yourself.
Since you do not want to bring along a tripod, you will possibly need as high an ISO speed as your camera can do with acceptable results, test it and decide

fstop/aperture - it depends on the amount of DOF that you need for that particular shot

Shutter Speed - depends on the ISO and fstop that you have selected to give an acceptable exposure for the lighting situation there. but adjust to make sure you don't get camera shake, of course if you had brought along your tripod, that will not be an issue.

what to look out for - distracting elements in your frame, read up on composition

what not to do - basically do not make a nuisance of yourself and enjoy yourself

after the shoot, go back and review your shots and figure out what went right/wrong, why it went right/wrong. And what could you have changed to make the shot better.

Firstly, I'm taking the Christmas Tree outside Ion Orchard only and the interior part of the christmas tree is indoor.
I'm not going to take those road lightings.

I know that if I bring a tripod along that will be good.
But I simply just want to take the christmas tree outside only. Not intending to take any others things.

I'm using Nikon D90 with kit lens.

ok i will answer your questions, based on what you have posted

ISO Speed - we do not know your camera, so you will have to answer this yourself.
Since you do not want to bring along a tripod, you will possibly need as high an ISO speed as your camera can do with acceptable results, test it and decide

fstop/aperture - it depends on the amount of DOF that you need for that particular shot

Shutter Speed - depends on the ISO and fstop that you have selected to give an acceptable exposure for the lighting situation there. but adjust to make sure you don't get camera shake, of course if you had brought along your tripod, that will not be an issue.

what to look out for - distracting elements in your frame, read up on composition

what not to do - basically do not make a nuisance of yourself and enjoy yourself

after the shoot, go back and review your shots and figure out what went right/wrong, why it went right/wrong. And what could you have changed to make the shot better.

Thank for your advise tehzeh, eyes, Burnings and ortega

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.