Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs


Status
Not open for further replies.

arampan

New Member
Nov 29, 2004
138
0
0
42
Jurong West
#1
Hi All.

I have "Mission Critical" video and photos that require the ultimate archival DVD solution.

I need them to last a long time in a clean, dark, cool and dry environment.

Any brand/product to recommend and where can I buy it locally?

:)
 

Witness

Senior Member
Mar 18, 2004
6,943
0
36
33
www.maverickatwork.com
#2
either the purple fuji dvds....or now ....since the fujis really cant find...i'm over to sony +r
 

ericp

New Member
Apr 27, 2003
577
0
0
Visit site
#3
I don't think anyone will guarantee DVD media to be archival (do a google search on DVD & CD recordable media ... there are articles written about this).

IMHO, the safest approach is probably to :

1. Make 2 copies on different branded media (spreading the risk of bad batches, etc)
2. Make a new copy every 12 months, doing a data verify every time

Head over to HWZ or VR forums for more discussions on this. IMHO, media is cheap, data is priceless. Lots of copies, properly stored, is better than 0 copies.
 

anka

New Member
Jun 29, 2004
417
0
0
#4
arampan said:
Hi All.

I have "Mission Critical" video and photos that require the ultimate archival DVD solution.

I need them to last a long time in a clean, dark, cool and dry environment.

Any brand/product to recommend and where can I buy it locally?

:)
go to ATF at sim lim sq.
they sell taiyo yuden. 50 pieces for $190.
 

sriram

New Member
Mar 10, 2002
1,253
0
0
#5
I've given up on DVD's. If my experience with CD's is anything to go by, they last a couple of years at most. For my 250GB of data, I need 50-60 DVD's to backup. I now use external HDD's, which I find quite convenient compared to DVD's. And you don't have to worry about the media getting scratched etc.
 

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
667,081
1
38
27
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
#6


http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html
Kodak Gold Preservation CD/DVD

When it has to last, turn to KODAK Preservation CDs and DVDs. The quality of these Gold discs is archival, meaning they are perfect for ensuring the long term integrity of your images, documents, and data.
SUPERIOR PROTECTION: Extra tough triple scratch-resistant coating prevents damage and lost data! Superior protection from handling protects your memories and data during frequent usage.

24 KARAT GOLD: Gold promotes longer disc life. Gold does not oxidize or break down; therefore data is preserved longer. Kodak Preservation CDs and DVDs use only 100% 24-Karat Gold.
LIFETIME ARCHIVAL: Using superior burn technology, Kodak Preservation CDs have been tested under light and accelerated aging to preserve data, photos and documents 300 years with proper handling. Kodak Preservation DVDs have been tested to preserve data, photos and documents 80-100 years with proper handling.
 

ericp

New Member
Apr 27, 2003
577
0
0
Visit site
#8
sriram said:
I've given up on DVD's. If my experience with CD's is anything to go by, they last a couple of years at most. For my 250GB of data, I need 50-60 DVD's to backup. I now use external HDD's, which I find quite convenient compared to DVD's. And you don't have to worry about the media getting scratched etc.
I do agree with sriram on this point ... but in a slightly different context. Data that can't be retrieved easily/quickly will just frustrate you, and perhaps the best way is to have the data on external HDDs.

That's what I've been doing for the last couple of years ... every so often, I just go and buy a new HDD that I stick into an external casing, and migrate the data from my old HDD to it. For the same price, you get more and more storage, which is good because our data increases as time passes, and many people are probably pack rats when it comes to things like this.
 

arampan

New Member
Nov 29, 2004
138
0
0
42
Jurong West
#9
Project is a time capsule.
Air tight, water tight special container to be placed underground.
Harddisk was considered but decided to go with DVDs
10 years is a long time underground and heard that mechanical parts will get "frozen"

:sweat:
 

ericp

New Member
Apr 27, 2003
577
0
0
Visit site
#10
If this is the case, then why not go "kiasee" over it ? Multiple media formats ... DVD, CD (if the data can fit), tape ... exactly how much data are we talking about here ?
 

ricohflex

Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
3,353
8
38
sing
#11
national archives use microfilm and tape for good reasons
but these must be kept in proper controlled humidity and temperature.
 

arampan

New Member
Nov 29, 2004
138
0
0
42
Jurong West
#13
ericp said:
If this is the case, then why not go "kiasee" over it ? Multiple media formats ... DVD, CD (if the data can fit), tape ... exactly how much data are we talking about here ?
time capsule not so big lei... :(
 

Firefox

New Member
Feb 15, 2004
716
0
0
Bedok
#14
anka said:
go to ATF at sim lim sq.
they sell taiyo yuden. 50 pieces for $190.
That is grossly overpriced even if it's THAT'S DVD-R.

Buying from ACCA Products and shipping via Vpost (add 8%- 9% for Cal taxes & 3% for Paypal International) for TY media will still end up cheaper than local Fujifilm TY media when buying in slightly larger quantities.
 

anka

New Member
Jun 29, 2004
417
0
0
#15
it is not the DVD that cost.. it's the shipping I bought Matsui Gold DVD +R 100 pieces for USD$199. the shipping via vpost cost me $120+
 

Firefox

New Member
Feb 15, 2004
716
0
0
Bedok
#16
anka said:
it is not the DVD that cost.. it's the shipping I bought Matsui Gold DVD +R 100 pieces for USD$199. the shipping via vpost cost me $120+
That's odd.
So far, all the TY DVD shipping charges for MO's have been very cheap.
S$75 for 5 spindles of 100 pieces each to ship via Vpost to Sg.
 

anka

New Member
Jun 29, 2004
417
0
0
#17
Firefox said:
That's odd.
So far, all the TY DVD shipping charges for MO's have been very cheap.
S$75 for 5 spindles of 100 pieces each to ship via Vpost to Sg.
from japan or US?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom