can recommend a well illustrated and comprehensive book on using portable flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
just got a nikon SB600 but find it difficult to understand the manual, hence looking for recommendation for better text.

just got a nikon SB600 but find it difficult to understand the manual, hence looking for recommendation for better text.

Wat do you need to know??

there is just tons of questions, and becos i didn't want to bother ppl too much with too many minute questions before i get some basic understanding, from things as simple as how is flash output different from control from body menu and control from flash menu, and what does the focal length of the flash means.....

dun mind if i post your valuable inputs in the pm? thanks very much for the guidance....

Sometimes, I feel that manuals are just there for the technical aspect. Try the flash out in different settings and I find you'll learn more and faster.

Simple stuff, I can still help out.

Flash output control. (there are 2 available, one on camera, on on flash) choose which you can control faster (if you only need 1 set) You can multiply the flash control by using 1 set on the flash as well as 1 set on the camera. i.e. if you set -1/3 on the flash and you set -2/3 on the camera, you'll get a combined setting of -1.0

Focal length of the flash is for auto matching with the current lens focal length. The longer the focal length, the small the area you'll be aiming at (as such the flash can focus at a smaller angle range and push more power to the further distance)

thanks, i read what you wrote and read again into the chapter, and now roughly get some better idea. although i did fumble a bit trying to take off that "M" button. and more questions just pop out... every page i read with strain, i have got 3-4 new questions....

and still i find the manual a bit too technical and not in depth enough for proper understanding. somemore that manual is so old covering D1 and D100, no mentioning of later models at all. and i can't find an online manual for D50/SB600 (but i doubt it would be useful)

hence an in-depth book on flash might be useful though to read more about (flash) exposure compensation and various others things.

No worries.. keep trying it..

I learnt thru trial and error too... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.