Can recommend a good camera backpack?

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, I am looking to buy a camera backpack which got space for me to put other things inside besides my camera gears eg. water bottle, wallet, and other small stuffs as I only got a small Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home now.

Prefer a bag which isn't too big, doesn't look like a typical camera bag like Lowepro and look more like a normal backpack. Basically something which isn't instantly recognizable as a camera bag. Budget is maximum $150.

You guys have any recommendations? Or know of any good places that carry many different types of camera bags at reasonable prices so that I can go down to take a look? Thanks!:)

kata has some good options... i bought mine at tkphoto in funan

I'm using vanguard uprise 45 . very good to me.

Back open - secure .
Quick access at side
big bring a lot of stuff out
In built tripod holder

Personally recommend tamrac. They have a good range bags with different size. They looks like a normal back pack.

http://www.tamrac.com/

Kata dr-467i would be my first bet.
Wife bought one for my birthday and is an instatnt hit for me.
Enought space for 2 DSLR bodies and 2 kit lens, one laptop and few misc items. I carry this daily to work ( laptop and a K-5 plus 2 lenses). For weekends it can carry the above plus my kid's spare clothes, diapers and tolietries needs.

Recently a friend got this:
http://www.naneubags.com/products.mdv?p=ug-u60#

Pretty useful in terms of space, organization and looks plus ruggedness. The camera slots can be taken out to make it a normal backpack. Plus it has enought slots for the DSLR system, a notebook and an iPad.

5311574376_3432d152ac_b.jpg

I just got this, my quick review:

- Similar in design to the Tamrac, material is canvas
- Fits a 15.4" laptop through a side sleeve with a top compartment for another DSLR camera and power adapters or clothes and food (just don't put all of them together :)
- Has a lower compartment to store a DSLR camera with an attached lens plus some minor compartments for additional lenses
- Excellent padding for the back and shoulders
- Good protective paddings for storage
- Doesn't look too bulky and is reasonably lightweight
- Has a catch for a tripod but I don't really use it
- The top and bottom compartment can be opened up to create one whole space like a regular backpack (big plus for me)

I carried this thing all day on a recent hike and was fairly happy. I don't think a regular backpack would have done the job as they're usually heavier, did not support both laptops and cameras or looked too bulky to be used when riding a bike.

@aaron80
You said, "Prefer a bag which isn't too big, doesn't look like a typical camera bag like Lowepro and look more like a normal backpack. Basically something which isn't instantly recognizable as a camera bag. Budget is maximum $150. "

MC: Ignore all of the above is this is truly what you want.
Camera Inserts are sold for so cheaply today, that it's a wonder why people still buy expensive "Branded Bags".

For backpacks
!BoiZVRg!2k~$(KGrHqUOKjMEu,t3UTuNBLn13F2B6g~~_35.JPG

For other bag shapes
816a71a88da09f6fd72de110.L.jpg

Try Orient Photo at Sim Lim, or Bagman @Ubi Crescent.
Matin inserts only cost S$25 each !!! You can practically buy SIX inserts !!!

Heck, for your budget, you can practically buy every type insert they sell, and I mean buy ALL THE SIZES, and shapes !!
AND STILL HAVE CHANGE !!!

I shoot Documentaries. Been traveling through Southeast Asia for the past 7 years (in total so far), roughed every country, and have walked through the roughest of communities. The last thing is for anyone to think that I had cameras, or was a Journalist. I bought a very used Canvas Backpack from Chatuchak for 280Baht (S$12), and stitched thick hand-towels for wrapping my gear., and just threw everything inside.

It more or less looks like the pix below...

Screen-shot-2010-06-03-at-9.53.33-AM-300x271.png

Best of all, you can switch bags whenever you want, and add inserts, or change any configuration imaginable !!!

Happy Hunting :)

That's a good idea, but doesn't stop things from falling out inside of the bag.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: very nice gear .. :cool:

I second the Tamrac, and recommend the Adventure series which I use before.

The equipment it houses? See the pix above.

MRSAMO said:
I just got this, my quick review:

- Similar in design to the Tamrac, material is canvas
- Fits a 15.4" laptop through a side sleeve with a top compartment for another DSLR camera and power adapters or clothes and food (just don't put all of them together :)
- Has a lower compartment to store a DSLR camera with an attached lens plus some minor compartments for additional lenses
- Excellent padding for the back and shoulders
- Good protective paddings for storage
- Doesn't look too bulky and is reasonably lightweight
- Has a catch for a tripod but I don't really use it
- The top and bottom compartment can be opened up to create one whole space like a regular backpack (big plus for me)

I carried this thing all day on a recent hike and was fairly happy. I don't think a regular backpack would have done the job as they're usually heavier, did not support both laptops and cameras or looked too bulky to be used when riding a bike.

Hi care to share where to buy and price? :)

Hi I got my bag from ebay, price is around $80, delivery is $20? I got mine a bit cheaper though ;-)

@M.Chick how much is the one for other bag shape? I used to put my little camera bag inside my old backpack, works but was kind of difficult getting the camera out.

@SAMO
I forgot, but I think the Bagman one is $40.. I don't know the one for Matin @ Orient.... you could call and ask, and see if it's $25 just like the rest of their inserts....

As mentioned before, I only use "mini wraps" made from Micro-Fibre Towels to individually wrap my lenses in my backpack. It stops them from knocking on each other, and it doesn't have the typical square shape which shouts "ROB ME !! I HAVE CAMERAS !!!" especially when I was walking the back-alleys getting footage.

I was carrying the GF1, partly concealed, and a walking 9-18mm lens, while the 40-150mm and the 14-45mm was "hidden" in the bag. Carrying any SLR would have gotten me killed....

Thanks for the recommendations guys! After reading all the advices, I am leaning towards either getting a Tamrac bag or a Vanguard uprise 45. The Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 75 Dual Access Photo Backpack seems pretty suitable for my needs and looks nice too. Anyone here uses this bag? Do you guys know what shop carries more Tamrac models so that I can go down take a look?

Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 75 Dual Access Photo Backpack
3375-opn_3_lrg.jpg

The Aero Speed Pack 75 Dual Access Photo Backpack is the perfect carrying solution for the photographer who prefers the comfort of a backpack, but doesn't want to sacrifice the ability to quickly and easily access photo gear. To accomplish this, Tamrac developed an innovative Dual Access System™ that allows fast access through the side door when the pack is worn over one shoulder. Like a traditional photo backpack, equipment can also be accessed through the front panel with the pack is removed. This versatile backpack holds and protects a DSLR with up to a 7½" lens attached, 1-2 additional lenses and accessories.

For weather protection, the side door is equipped with a water-resistant zipper while the front panel has a weather flap. Inside the side door, accessory pockets hold memory cards, lens caps and other accessories. In addition to the completely foam padded bottom compartment, the pack has a large top compartment perfect for personal items, such as a lunch or light jacket. An elasticized mesh side pocket provides convenient access to a water bottle.

The pack features a carrying handle and a comfortable, foam-padded backpack harness contoured to distribute the weight of the camera gear across the shoulders. Two lash tabs on the bottom allow a tripod to be carried (requires accessory straps, Model S-113, sold separately).

Thanks for the recommendations guys! After reading all the advices, I am leaning towards either getting a Tamrac bag or a Vanguard uprise 45. The Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 75 Dual Access Photo Backpack seems pretty suitable for my needs and looks nice too. Anyone here uses this bag? Do you guys know what shop carries more Tamrac models so that I can go down take a look?

Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 75 Dual Access Photo Backpack
3375-opn_3_lrg.jpg

K-13 and TK foto

Thanks bro! I know TK Foto is at Funan. Where is K-13?

K-13 at Pennisular Plaza, 2nd floor near the escalator i think.