Can recommend a good 8GB SD card for under $30?

daniellcs

May 2, 2009
Hi everyone, as the thread title suggests, can you recommend me a good 8GB SD card that costs less than $30?
I have sussed out a few, but would like to hear everyone's recommendation before I make a decision.
Considerations are capacity (8GB), speed & reliability. Anything else I missed?
Thanks for your help!

If you don't need super fast write speed for video, Kingston class 4 is enough. Reasonably fast, reliable and lifetime warranty. Even the 16gb one cost less than $30

If you don't need super fast write speed for video, Kingston class 4 is enough. Reasonably fast, reliable and lifetime warranty. Even the 16gb one cost less than $30

Thanks, Spree. The Kingston 16GB one sounds the most appealing so far...

daniellcs said:
Thanks, Spree. The Kingston 16GB one sounds the most appealing so far...

No problem=) transcend is cheaper but I've heard of so many card failures, so I rather not risk it.

If you are lucky, maybe you can find Class 6 extreme high speed 32GB SDHC at Ebay for around $30 including shipping or slightly higher like say $34?

daniellcs said:
Hi everyone, as the thread title suggests, can you recommend me a good 8GB SD card that costs less than $30?
I have sussed out a few, but would like to hear everyone's recommendation before I make a decision.
Considerations are capacity (8GB), speed & reliability. Anything else I missed?
Thanks for your help!

Scandisk is selling for $29 for class 10, 8GB.

Cheaper one is silicon power brand, also class 10, 8GB. Taiwan brand.

If I were u, I will go for scandisk only. Ignore other brands.

sorry to OT abit, mind telling where to get the 16gb memory card? :bsmilie:

Yes, SanDisk gets my vote too. I only use SanDisk cards for it's reliability. Bought SanDisk SDHC card @ S$39.90 for 16GB at Funan level 4, Constortium PC shop, besides the ballet shop. Remember to ask for warranty slip from Vector Magnetics and staple together with the receipt.

luckyorange said:
sorry to OT abit, mind telling where to get the 16gb memory card? :bsmilie:

You can get it at SLS

hanqiang1011 said:
Yes, SanDisk gets my vote too. I only use SanDisk cards for it's reliability. Bought SanDisk SDHC card @ S$39.90 for 16GB at Funan level 4, Constortium PC shop, besides the ballet shop. Remember to ask for warranty slip from Vector Magnetics and staple together with the receipt.

I was using a new Kingston SD card, and it screws up on me. My cam just cannot read the damm card after awhile.

I only swore by Scandisk now.

Anyway, there is a small price difference between all brands. Why save until like that? Spend $1000-2000 on cam and lenses, and want to save few dollars on men card?

The Sandisk EXTREME Class 10 8gb cost ~$35. This was the main reason why I got the 2x Transcend Class 10 16gb for $19 (even thou in fact compared to Sandisk is about class 4-6)..

Used for about 6 months So far so good with Transcend..*touchwood*

I think Sandisk's Ultra SDHC (claimed read speeds up to 15MB/s) 8GB is <$20 at SLS.

Transcend is still performing to what i have expected till now, haven't really failed me for now :)

5722fa38.jpg

acbeb3fc.jpg

Decisions, decisions...

As of now, the competition seems to be between Transcend & Sandisk.
I'm not big on performance. I don't intend to shoot in bursts or take much videos either.
Actually hor, does the class really matter? Ok to just get class 6, 16GB?

Decisions, decisions...

As of now, the competition seems to be between Transcend & Sandisk.
I'm not big on performance. I don't intend to shoot in bursts or take much videos either.
Actually hor, does the class really matter? Ok to just get class 6, 16GB?

read/write speed can become a bottleneck, but if you shoot at a 'leisurely' pace (i.e. < 1 shot per 1 or 2 seconds) I think the cheapest card will suffice. Main question will then be about reliability (or perceived reliability since nobody can predict the future :) ).