Can Recommend a Dry Box???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuy

Sep 7, 2002
Alpha Centuari
Visit site
all ive got is an Epson 3100Z P+S digicam, but i was thinking of buying a proper dry box to store this, and hopefully my future pricier photo equipment.

should i buy those automatic ones w/o the need for silicon? they cost alot more but i heard they're more economical in the long run.

or should i stick with cheaper dry boxes with a hydrometer n buy silicon??

any good brands to recommend? any bad ones to condemn? :)

i just bought a nikon 20L drybox from MScolor for $88 yesterday.. not bad..

Originally posted by shuy

they cost alot more but i heard they're more economical in the long run.

no they're not. plastic box with silica gel is the cheapest.

in the long run i mean like 20-30 yrs? how long can a bottle of silica gel last?

besides 20L, are there any smaller ones cos i dont need such a big one. or is it wiser to invest in a big one for more space?

in the long run i mean like 20-30 yrs? how long can a bottle of silica gel last?

besides 20L, are there any smaller ones cos i dont need such a big one. or is it wiser to invest in a big one for more space?

Remember in science class, we toasted the silica beads to dry dehydrate them.

Originally posted by lyrrad

Remember in science class, we toasted the silica beads to dry dehydrate them.

i c... hehe. so how often do i need to recycle them? if it's too frequent and too much of a hassle, i rather not...

depends on how good is your dry box and how much silica gel you use lor ........... anyway, wait for it to change colour

Originally posted by tehsusu88
Wats a dry box used for?

as its name suggests...to keep moisture lvl down so ur equipment wont be prone to fungus attacks

If you shoot often, get an electronic one. Saves you the hassle of re-heating the silica gel after shoots.

Dry-box if budget is a major constraint, or you do not shoot often.

Electronic for home use and dry-box for tours and trips overseas?:D

I am using the 100l Digi-Cabi. Its spacious, cheap and serves me (eh my gears) well! ;)

hi there..just wondering how 'cheap' is the 100l digi-cabi? I am using the am-pro 30L. Thinking on getting the NIkon 20l to supplement this existing cabinet.
thanks

No offend, but how long do you think an electronic drybox will last? Average life span is about 5 years for average made drybox.

Of course, the bigger the drybox, the cheaper will be the price per unit space. However, if you have more than just cameras or electronic gadgets to keep, such as coins, photos, CDs, papers (eg money notes etc), it's preferrable you invest in separate dryboxes. This is so that you can set different Relative Humidity settings.

Generally,
(a) For non-electronic stuffs:- 0% - 35%
(b) For elctronic stuffs :- 45% - 55%

Can we put it in a regular cabinet with clothes with thirsty hippo?
Anyone tried?:dunno:

Digital Point (formerly Alley Photo) @ Suntec (near the 2nd floor Carrefour entrance) sells the Am-Pro 50L cabi for $125, including free delivery.

Originally posted by tehsusu88
Wats a dry box used for?

To dry your DSLR after washing by washing machine....:D
Just kidding, dry box use to keep your Lens & camera & filter etc from fungus attact....

Originally posted by STShooter
If you shoot often, get an electronic one. Saves you the hassle of re-heating the silica gel after shoots.

Dry-box if budget is a major constraint, or you do not shoot often.

Electronic for home use and dry-box for tours and trips overseas?:D

No No, for tours and trips use Dry-case which we get from CS birthday party one....How can u bring a dry box while travel?:D

Originally posted by Larry
Digital Point (formerly Alley Photo) @ Suntec (near the 2nd floor Carrefour entrance) sells the Am-Pro 50L cabi for $125, including free delivery.
Ya Ya, I just saw it jsut now....got one thing is 30L sell $99...dunno go free delivery anot...:dunno:

i think a normal blue colored one will do. i think reheating the gel is as simple as mkaing ice cubes.

btw i gonna get a digital cam which i plan to carry ard all the time when i live my abode, u guys think i need a dry case?

Status
Not open for further replies.