Can rechargable battery charger be used with other brands?

sprewell

Nov 5, 2005
Punggol
www.bythewei.net
This is a question that I have been asking myself for a while now.

I've heard from the sales people that it is ok to use, for example, Eneloop batters on other brand's chargers but i have my reservations.

Anybody did so before?

It's perfectly fine. The science of charging batteries is still the same throughout all the different companies.

Same for quick chargers?

It is okay. I have been using it for ages. So far my batteries work fine and my house was not burned down yet :)

This is a question that I have been asking myself for a while now.

I've heard from the sales people that it is ok to use, for example, Eneloop batters on other brand's chargers but i have my reservations.

Anybody did so before?

All the time.

the electrical frequency for charging differ from brand to brand because of the physical content internally. But it would cause the battery to be explosive by using other brand charging (take about additional 10 ~ 20% longer). But i will not use quick charge because the vent hole in the cell may not have enough time to be gas-out.

The output of all battery chargers for rechargeable battery are DC (direct current) no electrical frequency. How fast the charger will charge your battery, it depends on the output mA as stated in your charger. Fast charger has higher output in mA, it is convenient but it will shorten the battery life span. Avoid high output charger for low mAh battery.

All DC output chargers will charge all rechargeable batteries.

I have a rule of not using fast chargers for the simple reason that I have the time to wait and that quick charging shortens the battery life considerably.
Hmm... I don't think NiMH batteries vent gasses when charged and I agree with tmwong90 about the output of NiMH chargers are purely DC and it will charge any NiMH battery of the correct voltage.

tmwong90 said:
The output of all battery chargers for rechargeable battery are DC (direct current) no electrical frequency. How fast the charger will charge your battery, it depends on the output mA as stated in your charger. Fast charger has higher output in mA, it is convenient but it will shorten the battery life span. Avoid high output charger for low mAh battery.

All DC output chargers will charge all rechargeable batteries.

Sphben said:
I have a rule of not using fast chargers for the simple reason that I have the time to wait and that quick charging shortens the battery life considerably.
Hmm... I don't think NiMH batteries vent gasses when charged and I agree with tmwong90 about the output of NiMH chargers are purely DC and it will charge any NiMH battery of the correct voltage.

Yes is a dc voltage but there is still at a frequency. There is a vent hole in the all rechargeable battery because there is chemical change inside the battery when charge is stored.

I am positive about this because I have the chance to be at sanyo battery facility in china and japan.

Shouldn't be a problem if the charge is the same right? Unless you're using 110V or something..

Yes is a dc voltage but there is still at a frequency. There is a vent hole in the all rechargeable battery because there is chemical change inside the battery when charge is stored.

I am positive about this because I have the chance to be at sanyo battery facility in china and japan.

DC voltage has a frequency? :think::think::confused::confused:

And what does that has to do with vents on the battery?

daredevil123 said:

And what does that has to do with vents on the battery?

Is he refering the re-charging frequency?

And yes, any battery discharging will release some sort of posionous 'gas'. (of course for a +12vdc is neglible)

Last edited:
Eneloop batteries manufacturer will always advise you to use eneloop chargers, GP batteries manufacturer will always ask you to use GP chargers and energizer batteries manufacturer will always ask you to use energizer chargers.

That's the way they make money. so that "Fat water don't flow into others fields"

Yes, you can modulate a frequency on top of any DC. If you 'mix' 6V DC with a 6V AC you will get a DC fluctuating / alternating between 0V and 12V. But the polarity will never change. The result is a pulsed current to the cells. In between the cell is measured for the charge status.

The vent hole should only be for emergency reasons. The chemicals in the cell must form a constant and isolated system which gets changed in one way when being charged and reversed when getting discharged. The total amount of chemicals must not change. If chemicals can escape in the open then the chemical process / balance between charging and discharging due to usage would be distorted.

Wow thanks all for the responses. Certainly helpful.

I just made the switch to the eneloop battery/charger and realize that they do not indicate when the battery is fully charged.

I left it charging overnight for first charge and yet the charger still has its green lights on. Any help here?

If not I'll just use back the old GP charger.

Wow thanks all for the responses. Certainly helpful.

I just made the switch to the eneloop battery/charger and realize that they do not indicate when the battery is fully charged.

I left it charging overnight for first charge and yet the charger still has its green lights on. Any help here?

If not I'll just use back the old GP charger.

Not too sure, my Eneloop 2hr fast charge will indicate blue lights when starting to charge and no lights when fully charged.

I agree with Photoart. "Eneloop batteries manufacturer will always advise you to use eneloop chargers, GP batteries manufacturer will always ask you to use GP chargers and energizer batteries manufacturer will always ask you to use energizer chargers.That's the way they make money."

Not a manufacturer recommend any other brand to be used!

There is a very good Nimh charger in the market " Powerex MH-C800S Eight Cell Smart Charger ", came to know about only recently. They never advertise anywhere! This is about $60 (US), bit expensive than other brands in the market when compare. Most important fact in this particular charger is, it charges all batteries loaded individually. Not only that it conditions Nimh cells and discharging facility is also there. I went thru many feedbacks and all are positive, positive and positive! ( I have ordered one and awaiting ) Since most of us are using Speedlights [on camera hot shoe type] with Digital SLRs, usage of Nimh AA size batteries are common. Spending little more on a charger like this might be a wise investment.