Can prosumer digicam make DSLR obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hentaitic

Dec 25, 2002
www.pbase.com
Or is it the other way around? Cheap DSLR like the *ist-D or 10D eating into the market of prosumer camera like S602Z or CP5700 or D7Hi???

Wat's is it that make DSLR still so desirable in the age of EVF and LCDs image composing? I understand that the DSLR cannot do this due to its inherent design of the flipping mirror.

Hmm...i think prosumer cams will always be that..prosumer cams. DSLR will always have that advantage over the prosumers unless the cam manufacturers dun wanna sell anymore DSLRs ahahha.

Dunno about you but after using the S602Z with its EVF, and i look thro my film slr, i almost wanted to go "wow!" The image that you see on the optical viewfinder really looks better and more comfortable for me... BUt i must admit, having EVF is a neat thing. heheheh

About LCD composing...I personally feel it's more pro to snap pictures the traditional way ehehhe.. :D

why DSLR?

1) bigger range of lenses in SLR system
2) shutter lag in digicam
3) better sensor
4) optical veiwfinder

and many more!

If prosumer FILM cameras have not replaced film SLR, what makes you think that the digital version will? I mean, people are still buying the Nikon D1x/H series (and paying a whole lot more, too) while the Nikon 5700 has higher resolution...

If there's no more DSLR.. then no more equitment for us to boost our ego :devil: :devil: :devil:

A DSLR and consumer camera belong to two different class. I will happily pay 2 times the amount for a 3mp DSLR than for a 6mp consumer camera.

:p

Originally posted by Watcher
If prosumer FILM cameras have not replaced film SLR, what makes you think that the digital version will? I mean, people are still buying the Nikon D1x/H series (and paying a whole lot more, too) while the Nikon 5700 has higher resolution...

What make prosumer DIGITAL attractive against the film version is because of the TTL EVF or LCD display. Significant improvement dont't u think? If EVF/LCD resolution could be bettered, DOF control improved by an increased in sensor size, I don't see why prosumer can't catch up to DSLR in picture quality performance.

Plus extras that DSLR can't do like 30fps video mode and high resolution high frame rate shots.

Originally posted by hentaitic
What make prosumer DIGITAL attractive against the film version is because of the TTL EVF or LCD display. Significant improvement dont't u think? If EVF/LCD resolution could be bettered, DOF control improved by an increased in sensor size, I don't see why prosumer can't catch up to DSLR in picture quality performance.

LCD display for convenient and flexible viewing i agree, but EVF? just wat advantages does a dim, grainy, slow update rate EVF have over a purely direct optical system?????

Plus extras that DSLR can't do like 30fps video mode and high resolution high frame rate shots.

the point of a camera is to take high quality still shots, not video.

No Matter how hard you try focusing with the LCD screen, you can never be sure that the focus is correct. Using a SLR, its never a problem. :bsmilie:

Haha... IMO, if a prosumer digicam is ever to catch with a DSLR,
someone has to make one that has a zoom from 28mm to 400mm,
aperture size from f.10 to f32, a fps of at least 7 and also at least a 11mp CCD.

Well, there's all the features missing in a prosumer camera. I believe the ability to change lens is a big plus over prosumer cameras.

And please, dun noe what's the thing about shooting video with a digicam. It's a fad that wears off quickly. I bet most of us hardly even use our video-cams for that matter.

Don't belittle the video function of con/prosumer digicams, esp those which can do hires/unlimited videos. They may seem like a gimmick, but there _are_ times where you want to capture in video instead of stills. Unlike DV/Hi8 cameras, pulling that video clip out and converting to VCD/DVD/DiVX etc are a hell lot easier.

Con/Prosumer cameras have their place. Image quality is seldom an issue now, and their compact size makes it ideal for carrying around, for use as a P&S, etc. Those with tilting LCDs/Lenses even let you shoot unusual/impossible angles easily, something which a DSLR cannot.

However, it will not replace DSLRs, which are a lot more flexible in handling and lens options, and of coz, offer you more more control. A number of pros uses both a DSLR and a prosumer digicam.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Don't belittle the video function of con/prosumer digicams, esp those which can do hires/unlimited videos. They may seem like a gimmick, but there _are_ times where you want to capture in video instead of stills. Unlike DV/Hi8 cameras, pulling that video clip out and converting to VCD/DVD/DiVX etc are a hell lot easier.

Con/Prosumer cameras have their place. Image quality is seldom an issue now, and their compact size makes it ideal for carrying around, for use as a P&S, etc. Those with tilting LCDs/Lenses even let you shoot unusual/impossible angles easily, something which a DSLR cannot.

However, it will not replace DSLRs, which are a lot more flexible in handling and lens options, and of coz, offer you more more control. A number of pros uses both a DSLR and a prosumer digicam.

Regards
CK

Yap, I agree with Ckiang that prosumer will not replace DSLR.

Both have it pro and cons when come to shooting. Think of it as 2 different tools at your disposal to capture the image you want.

Some pros like the swivel LCD for akward position...

Some like the DSLR for the lens options (especially if he had lots of lens...)

And the list go on...

Wait till you hear the

"flip... flip... flip... flip... flip... flip...
flip... flip... flip... flip... flip... flip...
"

of a D1x or a 1D, you will probably think of something else. :angel:

Originally posted by togu
Wait till you hear the

"flip... flip... flip... flip... flip... flip...
"

of a D1x or a 1D, you will probably think of something else. :angel:

A consumer digicam can do that "flip... flip... flip... flip... flip... flip..." 30 frames a second, without a single noise. :D

Ok, at < 1 megapixel, but hey, it's THIRTY frames a second, not a puny 8. :)

Regards
CK

Hi

well to be fair to hentaitic, he did not say that prosumer digicams will replace DSLRs. he was just saying that he thinks LCD and EVF are great technologies which is the main draw of prosumer digicams......

jasonpgc is right - the LCD or EVF is never going to give u a crystal clear view of the scene and wat u're exactly focusing on...

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

well to be fair to hentaitic, he did not say that prosumer digicams will replace DSLRs. he was just saying that he thinks LCD and EVF are great technologies which is the main draw of prosumer digicams......

jasonpgc is right - the LCD or EVF is never going to give u a crystal clear view of the scene and wat u're exactly focusing on...

Scrap the EVF. I have not seen one that's good yet. ;)

Regards
CK

DSLRs will probably never die the same way Medium format camera's have never died. They fill a niche in the pro market.

I have no real desire for a DSLR - but I would like something like my D7i with interchangeable lenses.

Who says an interchangeable lens cameras HAS to have a optical prism view finder ?

Yes the current generation of EVF are slow and grainy but I love the concept.

The current crop of 5MP prosumers all seem to have the same 'defects'. -

Grainy and slow EVF
Slow and unpredictable auto focus
An EVF that makes manual focus difficult.
And all to a certain degree get so noisy at higher ISO settings that you tend to avoid using it.

The DSLRs tend not to have these defects, but then the BODY costs twice to three times that of the 5MP intergrated Lens prosumers. You get what you pay for. :)

Presumably the next generation of 'prosumer' will pull in some of the technology from the pro DSLRs, like autofocus systems that actually work and interchangeable lens mounts..
Higher resolution and faster updating EVF wouldn't go astray.
(Which requires a better EFV display chip, faster processor chips and image capture chips with a faster 'live' readout mode).

It is quite possible the current 5mp prosumers all suffer from a conflict between the needs of a live readout to run the EVF and the readout data required to do autofocus - the end result that neither are done well :)
The DSLRs all use a seperate chip that takes light from the mirror - meaning they stop actual focus data collection once the mirror is up....

I don't think DSLR will be obsolete.

It seems to me that there will be a new class of digital cameras that belong halfway between DSLR and the prosumer cameras that was never before possible for film cameras. This is the class of cameras with EVF (better resolution than the current ones), LCD and possibly interchangeable lens.

I also think that there is very good potential for digital video cams with still picture capabilities to evolve to the point where the performance in both video and stills are acceptible by both enthusiasts. Such hybrid cameras can take both DV tape and some form of digital film, capable of taking stills at >3MP.

Each class of cameras will have their own camp of supporters.

- Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.