Can PDA survive more than -10°C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henavs

Dec 23, 2002
We know DSLR/digicam have little pbm operating in extreme low temperature, only the battery life will be reduced significantly... :p

But what about PDA, will it survive just like digicam?
Bring extra batts? not cheap...:eek: :D

I really don't think so...

henavs said:
We know DSLR/digicam have little pbm operating in extreme low temperature, only the battery life will be reduced significantly... :p

But what about PDA, will it survive just like digicam?
Bring extra batts? not cheap...:eek: :D

i think even manual SLRs have problem at -10... mechanisms can contract out of proportions and start jamming up.
need protective insulation covers

Clown said:
i think even manual SLRs have problem at -10... mechanisms can contract out of proportions and start jamming up.
need protective insulation covers

U got a point there...
I wonder how do those expedition team up in extreme sub zero condition get their camera and laptops working... :p

Hiee....

FYI....there are things made in the Military and Aerospace Standards specs which are controlled and made to a higher operation specifications. E.g......Able to work in lower temp,Humidity, Altitude.

These are normally higher cost and....tailor made for specific usage. I once read in the Practical Photography Magazine of a Nikon Military Issue...SLR...used for extreme cold temp...operations....

Likewise memory like RAM and ROM etc... you can get alcheapo 2GB CF at $320.....and a 2GB as high as $500 even more....all based on its reliability....

rgds,
Sulhan

sulhan said:
Hiee....

FYI....there are things made in the Military and Aerospace Standards specs which are controlled and made to a higher operation specifications. E.g......Able to work in lower temp,Humidity, Altitude.

These are normally higher cost and....tailor made for specific usage. I once read in the Practical Photography Magazine of a Nikon Military Issue...SLR...used for extreme cold temp...operations....

Likewise memory like RAM and ROM etc... you can get alcheapo 2GB CF at $320.....and a 2GB as high as $500 even more....all based on its reliability....

rgds,
Sulhan

Military specs gadgets...Cool...:cool:

hmm...seems like lotsa questions on low temperature.

the simplest logic is to ask yourself this. a lot of people in the world have to cope with low temperature. -10 degree is in fact quite common for countries with snow during winter. if manufacturers hv equipment tht will fail at -10 degree. then isnt tht a big problem in terms of sales?

just from experience, i've been to -25 degree. so far, my SLR, my flash, my digital watch, my PDA works fine. the only thing tht died (accidentally) is my cheapo thermometer

Hiee...

Maily these specs at extreme ends are basically to cover their backs....in case anyone would used it against the manufacturers.

Using in extreme places and condition may result in loss of data, important, loss of life (for life support systems) etc.

So up to your own discretion....if you die die must try........then be careful ...as while you try try...the equipment may die...

rgds,
me

Shadus said:

the simplest logic is to ask yourself this. a lot of people in the world have to cope with low temperature. -10 degree is in fact quite common for countries with snow during winter. if manufacturers hv equipment tht will fail at -10 degree. then isnt tht a big problem in terms of sales?

just from experience, i've been to -25 degree. so far, my SLR, my flash, my digital watch, my PDA works fine. the only thing tht died (accidentally) is my cheapo thermometer

i think using them for a moment or so exposed is ok. but i wont want to leave my pda or cam exposed to the cold for an extended period of time.. :sweat:

:thumbsup:

sulhan said:
Hiee...

Maily these specs at extreme ends are basically to cover their backs....in case anyone would used it against the manufacturers.

Using in extreme places and condition may result in loss of data, important, loss of life (for life support systems) etc.

So up to your own discretion....if you die die must try........then be careful ...as while you try try...the equipment may die...

rgds,
me

Clown said:
i think using them for a moment or so exposed is ok. but i wont want to leave my pda or cam exposed to the cold for an extended period of time.. :sweat:

heh.. .well, for solid state electronics, dun worry, it won't die on you. it'll "recover" after you bring it into the warmth. (i'm refering to normal low temp up to -30 degree, not those extreme kinds). ie, point being, dun worry about your CF cards / memory sticks.

The only possible failure is your LCD displays. it is possible to die on you esp. those poorly manufactured ones at low temp. i'm not too sure if they recover after bringing them into warmth.

The confirm real problem is the battery life.

well, if its canon SLR, i've left it in -20degree for like 3-4 hrs w/o any problem. the real pain in the neck is changing film with your gloves on.

yes, it sure can survive more than -10 degree celsius. because "more than -10" is -9, -8 etc all the way up positive. were you asking about *below* -10 degrees?

sehsuan said:
yes, it sure can survive more than -10 degree celsius. because "more than -10" is -9, -8 etc all the way up positive. were you asking about *below* -10 degrees?

Actually i mean more than -10°C as in *more extreme than*...
Well, yeah...the correct way to put it is *below* -10°C :embrass:

Shadus said:

Ur right, I forgot that those cold weather ppl also use the same electronic gadgets as us... :D

Shadus said:
heh.. .well, for solid state electronics, dun worry, it won't die on you. it'll "recover" after you bring it into the warmth. (i'm refering to normal low temp up to -30 degree, not those extreme kinds). ie, point being, dun worry about your CF cards / memory sticks.

The only possible failure is your LCD displays. it is possible to die on you esp. those poorly manufactured ones at low temp. i'm not too sure if they recover after bringing them into warmth.

The confirm real problem is the battery life.

well, if its canon SLR, i've left it in -20degree for like 3-4 hrs w/o any problem. the real pain in the neck is changing film with your gloves on.

yea some will recover cuz it's solid state. but i wont leave that to chance :angel:
anyway i'm much more sensitive to cold than these things.. so i'll probably just remain in sunny singapore.. :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.