Can or not sigma 50-500mm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photominia

Jul 27, 2004
Nikon World Wide
Hi all, just got D70 kit, was thinking of getting sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX APO RF HSM. where can I get it cheepest new in S,pore!

Anyone has this lens to comment! Does kenko-Teleplus 2X 7element which I had, work with this lens or I'm stuck to buy the sigma TC 2x?

Thanks !

Photominia said:
Hi all, just got D70 kit, was thinking of getting sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX APO RF HSM. where can I get it cheepest new in S,pore!

Anyone has this lens to comment! Does kenko-Teleplus 2X 7element which I had, work with this lens or I'm stuck to buy the sigma TC 2x?

Thanks !

Try equote mscolors.. You might be able to get it at 1.6k..
I think you should be able to use ur 2x teleplus.. why not just try it first instead of buying the sigma tc.. anyway regardless of which you try, you won't be able to auto focus with the TC.

Hi majere2sg thanks!

Also need to know how the optical perform. anyone!
Built Quality good or not? Sharp or not? thanks need your help to know before buying.

all ish good reviews to mee.... ahhahahaha $1.6 is def. a good buy.. eh... 500mm leh.. cannt play play lehz....

Thanks all, esp Bernard Ong, dont know what to do without u guys!

Call up cathay p, which i bought most of my stuff, told me they dont supply sigma stuff anymore! sound funny to here that cause after getting D70 my desire of photography came back and found Sigma has the most Daring and most desired range of lenses that we sometimes wish nikon could have.

Than is it sigma sales no good enough for cathay not selling or a compition for their tokina lens, anyway will get in MScolor, is alan photo good! went there once and service was quite bad, also cause me to get a parking fine...bad luck.

All appreciated, sincerely.

I am wondering why you want to get a 50-500 mm sigma lens. Have considered alternatives such as Nikon 80-400 mm VR lens or having two zoom lenses to cover the focal length you want? Just curious....

Hi Itma, well I really love Nikon lens, currently got nikkor 80-200mm ED 2.8, saw the photo u post at "Played with the AFS VR 200mm f/2G lens" really desire to have one. But me not so rich n the 80-200mm not enough for Birds photography i intented to try, saw lots of great photo at this wedsite and desire to learn n join this photo society, but first need a powerful focal length to start with i think.

http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/ASP/Main.asp

Yes the first lens i wanted long ago was nikkor 80-400mm, but cost S$2600 -
S$1600 (sigma 50-500mm) = S$1000 (can buy 2x SB600 + teleplus pro 300 digital 2X TC ) n bonus extra 100mm focal length from sigma!

My Dream lens is;
Nikkor AF-S DX VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED (not yet release)
Hope my Wish can come ture this year end. Prey hard for me. Thanks!

Hope now u see why!

Hi itma,

Yes i do have nikkor 24-120mm older version n also the DX 18-70 kit lens to cover my candit needs, was also thinking of getting 12-24mm DX, but abit costly for me. .....Thanks for concerning over ! thanks great guy :thumbsup:

50-500mm is maybe to learn new things to enhance our new photo skills.

Photominia said:

Thanks !

wow bro.. i dont think u can AF using a 2x tc on 50-500... the experts here maybe able to clarify. furthermore, i believe the degradation in quality would be obvious already.

just my 2 cts

Based on my understanding, Nikon AF will not work if the lens f >5.6.

ltma said:
Based on my understanding, Nikon AF will not work if the lens f >5.6.

true true... seen that somewhere too.. in some nikon magazine.. i think its the lens manual or something..... erm why is this so ar ? hw come TC cannot AF one... sian man.... and worse... they degrades the picture until erm... how ar ?? nv seen one b4.... :embrass:

Lord camera at lucky plaza has the stocks and they gavee the best prices.

Hey glennyong: agree with u ....sian man, me too! I think the manufacturer purporly one so we can buy big big extra expensive glass mah. Look at them manufacturing plant so large, .....even local dealer all wear Rolax...... ooops!

Hey pilot from airforce1, can tell me the price and seldom go lucky plaza, can guide me to that shop... like which floor!

Thanks with lots of L..ens!

glennyong said:
true true... seen that somewhere too.. in some nikon magazine.. i think its the lens manual or something..... erm why is this so ar ? hw come TC cannot AF one... sian man.... and worse... they degrades the picture until erm... how ar ?? nv seen one b4.... :embrass:

This is the case for ALL brands... basically it's because the autofocus modules in the camera autofocus by looking at contrast in the picture. The AF is helped by additional contrast and brightness. With a 2X TC however, you would be losing 2 stops of light, and it's this light loss which impedes autofocus capability. A f2.8 lens with a 2X TC becomes a f5.6, which is still OK for AF. A f5.6 lens with a 2X TC becomes a very very dark f11, which is very bad for AF (akin to trying to AF in a pitch dark room... your camera will just hunt forever).

wilis128 said:
wow bro.. i dont think u can AF using a 2x tc on 50-500... the experts here maybe able to clarify. furthermore, i believe the degradation in quality would be obvious already.

just my 2 cts

Even with the 1.4x, you will not be able to AF already (as stated in Sigma website) :(

Photominia said:
Hi Itma, well I really love Nikon lens, currently got nikkor 80-200mm ED 2.8, saw the photo u post at "Played with the AFS VR 200mm f/2G lens" really desire to have one. But me not so rich n the 80-200mm not enough for Birds photography i intented to try, saw lots of great photo at this wedsite and desire to learn n join this photo society, but first need a powerful focal length to start with i think.

http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/ASP/Main.asp

Yes the first lens i wanted long ago was nikkor 80-400mm, but cost S$2600 -
S$1600 (sigma 50-500mm) = S$1000 (can buy 2x SB600 + teleplus pro 300 digital 2X TC ) n bonus extra 100mm focal length from sigma!

My Dream lens is;
Nikkor AF-S DX VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED (not yet release)
Hope my Wish can come ture this year end. Prey hard for me. Thanks!

Hope now u see why!

Well, if you wish to take bird photography... i think 50-500mm is not the way to go. 1st, the sharpness is lacking. 2nd is that the speed will be too slow to take good pics of birds.

nemesis32 said:
Well, if you wish to take bird photography... i think 50-500mm is not the way to go. 1st, the sharpness is lacking. 2nd is that the speed will be too slow to take good pics of birds.

excuse me...

3726.jpg

when i take birds most of the time i stop down to f/8 and there's HSM RF motor on the 50-500.

Clown said:
excuse me...

when i take birds most of the time i stop down to f/8 and there's HSM RF motor on the 50-500.

I agreed with you. This lens can produce pretty good results! Another good example will be bro Madcat II. Take a look at his bird pics. All of them are taken with this lens.

CP-MOG-03Jul04-03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.