Can Nikon D90 uses Nikon AF 20mm f/2.8D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvester88

Apr 6, 2008
Hey guys, when 20mm is fit onto D90, the angel of view will it be reduced? because from i saw on nikon's website it says this

94° (FX-format)
70° (DX-format)

does it mean that the photo will be cropped or only when you look through the view finder?

i need your advice. Thanks! =)

Last edited:
Of course. The D90 is an aps-c sensor, so it will be like a 30mm lens. This aps-c crop applies to ALL lenses, including your kit lens.

Hey guys, when 20mm is fit onto D90, the angel of view will it be reduced? because from i saw on nikon's website it says this

94° (FX-format)
70° (DX-format)

i need your advice. Thanks! =)

Yes you can. All you'd get ias a 30mm focal length equivalent view on the 35mm (or full frame) format.

Just remember that the crop factor will apply to all lenses. Multiply the lens focal length by 1.5 to get the equivalent view on film/full frame.

Yes, you'll get an effective 30mm F/2.8, 70° angle of view.

And yes, it is able to auto-focus too!

does it mean that the photo will be cropped or only when you look through the view finder?

I suggest you actually try to use your camera. With any lens you use, your viewfinder will present you with a cropped view.

WYSIWYG. What you see through the viewfinder of the Nikon D90 is what you will get. However, when you mount the same lens on a FX body, like a D3, you'd notice that the angle of view is wider. That's all.

WYSIWYG. What you see through the viewfinder of the Nikon D90 is what you will get. However, when you mount the same lens on a FX body, like a D3, you'd notice that the angle of view is wider. That's all.

Not quite... D90 only has a 96% coverage.

Haha! Guess I overlooked that!

94° (FX-format)
70° (DX-format)

i need your advice. Thanks!

To TS (Sylvester88),

Digital SLRs are designed to present a view that is (or ALMOST is) what you'd get on the captured photograph. As bro Blur Shadow stated (before he was corrected), WYSIWYG... well, almost... ;)
oh btw it's an ANGLE of view. The angel is the one with the wings... :)

Just in case you didn't know, there are a number of lenses which are specifically designed for DSLRs that use the DX-sized sensor. Such lenses when used with an FX camera (like D700, D3, D3X) produce an image which does not completely cover the FX frame. So you see black corners.
An FX lens (any lens without the DX nomenclature) can be used on a DX camera, but not the other way around.

Last edited:
if you still dont get it, let me try simplifying things.
DX body (1.5x crop factor) FX body (1x crop factor)
*neglecting the very slight difference every viewfinder has*
when you attach the same 20mm to both bodies,
DX body 1.5x20mm= 30mm FX body 1x20= 20mm
and What you see thru the viewfinder is what you get.

Hope this helps.......

Status
Not open for further replies.