Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurrealDreamWalker

Jul 11, 2009
The Outer Limits
Hi all,

may i know whether all P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras can be infected by computer viruses?

Any difference/ chance of infections between the 2 methods:

1.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers via connection cable between them?

2.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers by taking out digital-cameras' memory cards before inserting it in a card reader, and then plugged in to the computers' USB port?

I asked because a few people advised me against transferring of images via connection cable. They recommended transferring via card reader.

As for myself, i always transfer via connection cable, and so far no viruses infections has happened to my P&S AND Digital-SLR cameras. I use cable connection to transfer my images because i don't like to take out my digital-camera's memory cards and plug in to my computers's UBS via card reader and then inserting back memory cards into my digital-cameras again. I worried more about spoiling the connectors inside the digital-cameras's hardware and the memory cards.

After transferring the images, sometimes i delete the images stored in the memory card via computers' trash function on the desktop, and sometimes i delete them via delete/ format functions in the digital-cameras. My memory cards are NEVER been used to transfer/ store any images/ files from computers to digital cameras.

Please share your in-sights/ inputs on this.

Thanks, and best of regards.

Last edited:
From what I know, a virus infected computer can infect the flash card but not the camera.

Thanks for your reply.

So, you transfer your images via cable connection or card reader?

Virus from computer will infect flash card whether you transfer by card reader or camera.

Just make sure your computer have the latest virus definition at all times.

Virus from computer will infect flash card whether you transfer by card reader or camera.

Just make sure your computer have the latest virus definition at all times.

Ok thanks.

May i know your preference for transferring of images: cable connection or card reader?

Hi all,

may i know whether all P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras can be infected by computer viruses?

1.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers via connection cable between them?

2.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers by taking out digital-cameras' memory cards before inserting it in a card reader, and then plugged in to the computers' USB port?

I asked because a few people advised me against transferring of images via connection cable. They recommended transferring via card reader.

As for myself, i always transfer via connection cable, and so far no viruses infections has happened to my P&S AND Digital-SLR cameras. I use cable connection to transfer my images because i don't like to take out my digital-camera's memory cards and plug in to my computers's UBS via card reader and then inserting back memory cards into my digital-cameras again. I worried more about spoiling the connectors inside the digital-cameras's hardware and the memory cards.

After transferring the images, sometimes i delete the images stored in the memory card via computers' trash function on the desktop, and sometimes i delete them via delete/ format functions in the digital-cameras. My memory cards are NEVER been used to transfer/ store any images/ files from computers to digital cameras.

Its not possible for normal computer viruses to execute on your camera due to hardware differences (cpu architecture etc). Still its possible to get your computer infected via a virus in the memory card.

There is no big difference btw transferring from cable or directly from the card. Transfer from cable = data go from card to cable to PC. The only thing is you can probably hit higher data transfer rates from directly reading from card, but then you're still restricted by USB data bus speed.

Its not possible for normal computer viruses to execute on your camera due to hardware differences (cpu architecture etc). Still its possible to get your computer infected via a virus in the memory card.

There is no big difference btw transferring from cable or directly from the card. Transfer from cable = data go from card to cable to PC. The only thing is you can probably hit higher data transfer rates from directly reading from card, but then you're still restricted by USB data bus speed.

Thanks for your reply, and in-sights.

May i know your preference of transferring of images: cable or card reader?

My main machine (laptop) has a built-in card reader so i use that. also don't like to carry (then lose) my cable.

Hi all,

Dun worry, the only way you can mess up your dslr is via firmware update. Other than that, it is virtually corruption proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.