Can memory cards be checked in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw007

Apr 21, 2004
Jurong
photography.ratherharmless.org
Does anybody know if memory cards (Compact Flash, SD, etc) can be checked in? AFAIK the X-ray scanners for checked baggage will destroy/demagnetise hard disks, but will the X-rays destroy flash memory cards too? Does anybody know/has anyone ever tried?

Thanks!

Which X-ray machine are you talking about? The handcarry one?

The handcarry X-ray machine works fine with harddisks, etc., but checking in harddisks will certainly kill them. Did you check in your memory cards, or are you just talking about the X-ray scanner for hand-carry baggage?

redstone said:
????

Replying to own question??? :think:

nope...someone posted a reply which was then promptly deleted...

basically my question is...will memory cards be damaged (by the x-ray scanners, which supposedly use much stronger x-rays than those for hand-carry baggage) if you check them in

fw007 said:
nope...someone posted a reply which was then promptly deleted...

basically my question is...will memory cards be damaged (by the x-ray scanners, which supposedly use much stronger x-rays than those for hand-carry baggage) if you check them in
No problem. I had the whole digital cam and several CF cards in my pouch going through the airport xray without any problems and data still intact.

lsisaxon said:
No problem. I had the whole digital cam and several CF cards in my pouch going through the airport xray without any problems and data still intact.

but did u check them in? that's my question...

i know that the memory cards and all can pass through the usual hand-carry x-ray scanners but they use different scanners (higher powered) for bags that are checked in...

No problem at all. Even...harddisk can survive the X-ray machine.

If you are too worried about stuff, just leave them at home.

How heavy are memory cards? Just hand carry them. When I travel, I will lug my portable 300GB HDD with me on hand carry. When your baggage are check in, even if it pass through the high powered X-rays without a hitch but with all the knocks and bangs, it may just destroy your memory card physically.

Pro Image said:
How heavy are memory cards? Just hand carry them. When I travel, I will lug my portable 300GB HDD with me on hand carry. When your baggage are check in, even if it pass through the high powered X-rays without a hitch but with all the knocks and bangs, it may just destroy your memory card physically.

It's not an issue of weight...the issue is if/when airports/airlines start banning all sorts of stuff from handcarry baggage...

fw007 said:
It's not an issue of weight...the issue is if/when airports/airlines start banning all sorts of stuff from handcarry baggage...
Since when did they ban memory card?:think:

Harddisk confirm no prob, I always handcarry my labtop and and it will have to go thru the xray machine as you are boarding.

fw007 said:
Since yesterday on all flights out of UK all hand carry baggage is banned until further notice...
that is just one of a few rare cases. If that is the case you should be more worried to check in your camera equipment than your memory. I believe memory are more rigid then your camera when the guys are moving your luguages:)

I'm not so sure how rare it's going to be or how long it's going to last but the situation does not look too good given the current security climate.

So, apart from physical destruction, camera bodies and flash memory cards are not susceptible to damage by X-rays or magnetic fields (from conveyor belts)?

And more importantly has anyone tried checking in camera bodies/flash memory?

Electronics can withstand X-rays. X-rays are commonly used to inspect soldering joints.
Magnetic field from conveyor belt systems will not damage your camera.
To destroy electronic circuits using radiation energy, you'll need electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from a nuclear device.

Status
Not open for further replies.