Can Manual Nikkor lenses be use on Nikon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

funtasy

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
I have a range of Nikkor manual lenses. They are AI lenses not the AIS version. Can these lenses be use on a Nikon DSLR such as the D70 and D50? I only know that these lenses can be mounted on a DSLR. What are the limitations when comes to focusing and metering? Thanks!

得プロボディおよびd200 でメーターで計る。d5/70 ボディは全然サポートされない。

funtasy said:
I have a range of Nikkor manual lenses. They are AI lenses not the AIS version. Can these lenses be use on a Nikon DSLR such as the D70 and D50? I only know that these lenses can be mounted on a DSLR. What are the limitations when comes to focusing and metering? Thanks!

ESPN said:
:bsmilie:

To eleborate a little more...

1. yes, you can mount the lenses
  2. No there is no autofocus but you may use the little AF green dot in the viewfinder to help you know when the lens is in focus
  3. No, neither the D50 nor the D70 supports metering for manual lenses but since they are digital, you can rely on test shots with the histogram

To get metering with manual lenses, you'd have to be using one of the professional digital bodies or the latest D200.

Cheers

espn said:
I can't comprehend any of that, but I guess it means that with the D200, you need to set focal length in the menu settings for manual lens and you will be able to use the metering. On the D50/D70, however, you will not be able to meter (I don't understand why... those manual cameras like FM2 are able to meter fine without knowing the focal length..). For focusing, you will probably be able to rely on the 'dot' when the subject is in focus. Haven't tried it so I can't confirm that. :)

I even mounted a telescope using a T-adapter. No problems with it.

funtasy said:

Hmmm... just wondering what are the range of your manual lenses. Curious , because I have future uses for manual lenses.

Ok, was a bit in a cranky mood last night after somebody accused me of getting big in my head over a D2X issue.

Anyway, in short, D50, D70 will not meter with AI/AI-S, glasses. The pro bodies + D200 will.

espn said:
Ok, was a bit in a cranky mood last night after somebody accused me of getting big in my head over a D2X issue.

Aren't you? ;p :D

espn said:
Anyway, in short, D50, D70 will not meter with AI/AI-S, glasses. The pro bodies + D200 will.

Slight correction and add-on to the above... Recommended not to mount AI/AI-S lenses manufactured prior to 1977 on these bodies D70s, D50, D70, N75, D100, N55, N80, N65, N60, Fuji S1, Fuji S2, N50 N5005, N4004 as you might spoil the connection pins and loosen the mount of the camera. However one can actually modify the lens to fit these bodies. Do a search on the net and you'd find lots of articles on how to modify. However as what espn as spoken, there will not be any metering on these bodies. The conversion is only to allow the lens to mount safely on the body without damaging anything.

As for bodies like: D200, D2X, D2Hs, D2H, FM3A, D1x, D1H, D1, F100, F5, N90, N70, FM10, N8008, N6006, N2020, FA FM2, FE2, FG, EM, slight modification to the AI/AI-S lenses is still required to mount safely and you'd still enjoy metering on the professional bodies like, D200, D2X, D2Hs, D2H, FM3A, D1x, D1H, D1, F100, F5.

Do note that even if you did not modify the lens, you can still mount the lens on the body, but depends on which lens, you may spoil the pins coupling.

Hope this explaination is clear enough. :)

Thanks guys for the clarification. Seems that the only option available is a D200:(

funtasy said:
Thanks guys for the clarification. Seems that the only option available is a D200:(
That's the cheapest and best body you can get to work with the old lenses with metering. :)

Alternative, get a 2nd hand D1X/D2H... ;p

Actually, Bjorn Roslett also lists down which AI/AIS lenses can change the CPU chip on the lens.

Go and search them out.

sykestang said:
Aren't you? ;p :D
Why? You jealous I have a 12.4MP D2X that can print 20" x 30" @ 140 DPI and still got approx 1MP to throw away?

espn said:
Why? You jealous I have a 12.4MP D2X that can print 20" x 30" @ 140 DPI and still got approx 1MP to throw away?
Oh a confession from the King! :bigeyes: finally :bsmilie:

espn said:

Hahaha......
bananadance.gif
rotfl.gif

espn said:
Ya lor, I don't have mah. :(
Each time got to fractal a 2.74MP to 20" x 30" 300DPI ... :cry:

sykestang said:
Ya lor, I don't have mah. :(
Each time got to fractal a 2.74MP to 20" x 30" 300DPI ... :cry:

no need to cry.

u buy oredi u also can have mah.
then can hao lian, mine is newer than yours somemore.

Status
Not open for further replies.