Can macro lens do sports photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
Getting a good telephoto lens for sports photography but not really sure if macro lens can do sports photography anot.If can,can someone suggest a cheap tele for my D40.My budget is 500 and will be looking for second hand market.Third party is fine

1. By sports, do you mean snail racing? (considering the slow focusing speed of macro lenses)
2. Look in themarketplace section.

for $500, the "tele-est" macro lens you're gonna would be a 105mm and fyi, most of them don't focus on your D40 :sweat:

So if you've got a sharp eye and wanna entirely use MF for your sports shooting, then good luck to you i guess :p

short in daylight? with tripod i presume.
cheapest is nikon 70-300 G. abt 150 from BNS .
alternative 70-300VR cost 600-800

Currently, only 2 lenses allow you to AF, the Nikkor 60mm AF-S and the 105mm AF-S, but both are way above your budget.

The other options are only avail to you at MF.

As many have mentioned, macro lens focusing is bit slow. Some model have a "limiter", which may improve the focusing speed. Borrow or rent one to try for yourself.

Besides the Nikkors mentioned, a used Tamron SP90 with built-in motor, which will AF on your D40, may be within your budget.

Getting a good telephoto lens for sports photography but not really sure if macro lens can do sports photography anot.If can,can someone suggest a cheap tele for my D40.My budget is 500 and will be looking for second hand market.Third party is fine

most macro lenses do not have good maximum aperture, but that is no issue, you can always wait for good light

there are of course exceptions, but firstly, sports photogrpahy generally needs LONGER FOCAL LENGTHS

there aren't that many macro lenses that are so long in the first place, and even if have, i suspect they will cost a big bomb, you can forget it :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.