Can it be trusted? Canon 400d @ $890/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

evo-lution

Jan 28, 2008
Hi everyone here! very new to this forum, in fact this is my first post here. so yea, pls guide me along.

somewhere last mth or rather towards the end of dec, i went ard to check out 400d's prices. been wanting to move on from pns to a dslr. and heard that 400d is a good choice for ppl new to dslr.

anyway, went on to those reputable shops as mentioned here. all quoted me more or less 1200. All r local new set with gst, free gifts. then went out of funan n decided to call it a day. happen to see this shop cross the street at peninsula plaza which look like no bussiness like that. so i went on to get a quotation.

he quoted me $890 for a brand new, full package local set with warranty. gst included. but just never mention free gifts only(which i dun really mind anyway). he also mentioned that he got 400d grey set without warranty and he say 700+ only. but he recommends the local set cos got warranty. i find it to be erm how to phrase it? too cheap to be possible? $300 cheaper, but is it possible?

so i decided to post this tread to see if anyone had any experience with that shop or is it jus another shop which tries to con its customers into buying this n that alongside the cam or so called dismental the package n sell u things (which r suppose to get in the package) seperately.

anyway, it is the EOS400d kit I( not body only), n the shop if i not wrong got green signboard( i cannot rmb the name) then it is jus beside the entrance to the building(peninsula plaza) itself.

if it is trustworthy, definitely a gd buy even without freebies( in my own perspective)

thanks in advance to everyone who contribute their comments.

Think you should do the following:

1. Take down the name.
2. Do research on the shop.
3. If safe, see whether the box is old/new/sealed
4. Check the cam to see whether it is mint. Same thing for the lens. Ask a friend to tag along and shoot at P mode for testing.
5. Check the warranty card to see if it is China or Singapore based.
6. If you decide to get, can register online, but to be safe, get the card chopped.
7. Make sure the shop owner never coerce you to get more things at exorbitant prices. The prices of accessories are pretty fixed, lenses too. If need be, can check at Cathay, which is just by the corner.
8. Come out a happy customer :D

Hi everyone here! very new to this forum, in fact this is my first post here. so yea, pls guide me along.

somewhere last mth or rather towards the end of dec, i went ard to check out 400d's prices. been wanting to move on from pns to a dslr. and heard that 400d is a good choice for ppl new to dslr.

anyway, went on to those reputable shops as mentioned here. all quoted me more or less 1200. All r local new set with gst, free gifts. then went out of funan n decided to call it a day. happen to see this shop cross the street at peninsula plaza which look like no bussiness like that. so i went on to get a quotation.

he quoted me $890 for a brand new, full package local set with warranty. gst included. but just never mention free gifts only(which i dun really mind anyway). he also mentioned that he got 400d grey set without warranty and he say 700+ only. but he recommends the local set cos got warranty. i find it to be erm how to phrase it? too cheap to be possible? $300 cheaper, but is it possible?

so i decided to post this tread to see if anyone had any experience with that shop or is it jus another shop which tries to con its customers into buying this n that alongside the cam or so called dismental the package n sell u things (which r suppose to get in the package) seperately.

anyway, it is the EOS400d kit I( not body only), n the shop if i not wrong got green signboard( i cannot rmb the name) then it is jus beside the entrance to the building(peninsula plaza) itself.

if it is trustworthy, definitely a gd buy even without freebies( in my own perspective)

DO NOT EVER BUY FROM THAT SHOP!! It is called Worldwide cameras or something like that........

read this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350933&highlight=worldwide

HS

Hi evo-lution!

Ive'd been to that shop before.They are offering me the d40x kit for $750 which at first they told me that it's with warranty 1 year. So after 3 days I came back and ready to buy it. When I asked for the d40x they said it's $950. I said how come 3 days ago it's only $750 and they said i'm in the wrong shop which 100% sure I'm in the right one.Then I saw the guy who offered me the d40x kit for 750. I waited for almost an hour because he is attending to one customer and when I finally ask him he said ok but it's japan export no warranty and I said how come he said it has warrant 3 days ago.He said that it's the local set that has warranty.he can give it to me for $950 plus free tripod and bag which is still cheap but I was expecting a $750 price and I already have 2 tripod and a bag. So he said ok for 850 unit only then he wentoutside for a while after he come back he said he cannot sell it without the package.only set for $950.:angry:They are offering me the japan set without warranty for 750 whichI declined because he kept on badmouthing the unit or he just don't want to sell it and puch for the package set.

I was so dissapointed that day. I had horrible experiences with these shops in 1 day!I think they are doing the same with u.I would suggest that try looking for the reputable shops, Allan, Cathay, etc..I'ved been in the same situation that I wanted to get the cheapest set but ended up very disappointed.Or better yet try to look at the B&S section here for snappers upgrading for unit. most of them still have warranty and being a dslr fanatic most probably it's well taken care.

Just to share...:)

man415

to all alike:

if something is TOO GOOD to be true
it usually is

heck, it ALWAYS is

welcome to life

I think I know which shop you are referring to. Many, many feedback have already been written, do a search. Anyway, if you want to give it a try, offer to buy it at that price and see what they will do. Juse be careful not to fall into their trap!

Hey!! Welcome to Clubsnap!! I hope you find it a nice place over here.

Here's my take on your question:

At the start of December, I was checking around the 400D prices too. I researched and called a whole lot of shops around Singapore to get quotations, and juggled the options of buying online. I remember one shop quoted me S$750 for grey set, while Cathay Photo quoted me S$1150. Price difference was S$400. Minus away the free 2gig CF card & canon freebie tripod, that brought the justifiable difference to around S$300.

Now, personally, I would've gone for the cheaper grey set from this rather unknown store, but my dad suggested that I don't. And I think it was a good decision. Paying S$200 - 300 more would get you some needed freebies, local warranty plus the thanks and recognition of the staff members at the shops. I know the last benefit isn't really that great, but building friendly relations with known photography equipment shops is a definite plus. It can mean the difference between a good deal and a bad one, and a lot of times, the people who served you first become more trust-able. They'll supply you with info about a particular product that you're keen on purchasing and serve you better, for example.

About that shop right smack next to the Peninsular Plaza entrance, that's a definite no-no. I remember a few of our forum members had problems with them before. I suggest you buy from Cathay Photo (Peninsular Plaza / Marina SQ) or MS Color (AMK hub / Blk 711). A lot of our members purchase equipment from them, and they're trustworthy.

On a side note: You must understand that the 450D is going to be released soon. I suggest that unless you want to upgrade from PnS now (You have a camera already, so I doubt you will 'miss shots' by not getting a DSLR now), hold off till the 450D gets released. From then on (probably bout 2 weeks later), you'll have the choice of getting the 450D, or getting a new local-warranty 400D at slashed prices, similar to the current 'grey' market prices.

Hope this helps =) If you have any queries, please just drop me a PM or add me on MSN!

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to add. No matter where you go (if you decide to buy), please call the store in advance and ask for a quote and the 'cheapest price'. Also, try hanging around for longer while testing and haggle for the price. Remember, if you've found a better price at another trustworthy shop, highlight that to them (if you see if they're in a good mood, of course. No point pissing them off haha), and it might give you some haggle-ability. Collective buying (body with lenses, bags and accessories) would also give you a greater discount (and haggle-ability), so consider that too =)

wow, thanks alot guys! very efficient indeed. a friend of mine whom intro me to the world of dslr as well as this forum once told me that this forum the ppl very efficient one, actually i dun believe initially;p, but now i definitely do:D.

ok, back to business. looks like all the feedback so far r negative, but i do find the suggestion from tony to be quite interesting.lol. but if i ever do that, will come back to post the guy's reaction though unlikely he will sell the 400d kit I at like $890?

and, thanks to zan82 for the constructive comments,(eye opener) learn quite abit abt buying dslr:)( which i dun think will come to my mind when buying the dslr, given that this will be my first time buying a dslr)

ok, back to business. looks like all the feedback so far r negative, but i do find the suggestion from tony to be quite interesting.lol. but if i ever do that, will come back to post the guy's reaction though unlikely he will sell the 400d kit I at like $890?

if you want to try your luck (though i suggest not)

1) check the unit thoroughly to make sure it's new and without flaw, later check shutter count. if can check on the spot (don't know how canon does it, not a canon user), best to do so too
2) make sure everything in the standard package, i.e. what you think you're buying is there. later this missing that missing to buy add up more than $890 then you jialat
3) do not buy accessories from them, because chances are they will jack up prices IF they somehow pass 1 and 2. if you want to be cheeky just check out prices first :dunno:

personally though, i think to avoid unpleasant shopping experience, unless even $890 is nothing to you, take your business elsewhere

there is no end to the amount of dirty tricks unethical shops will go to

personally though, i think to avoid unpleasant shopping experience, unless even $890 is nothing to you, take your business elsewhere

there is no end to the amount of dirty tricks unethical shops will go to

Quoted for truth and emphasis.

There no way the shop can offer you at tt price. Alot of tourist have been conned so do not be the next.

There no way the shop can offer you at tt price. Alot of tourist have been conned so do not be the next.

yea, i think so too after reading all the replies from u guys at cs. RRP@1349(if i'm nt wrong), selling at 890? profit margin of 500-600 dollars which if can sell at 890, cost muz be like 700? almost 100% profit margin?lol. i dun think canon will allow that. even if domestic CII(consumer div of canon) allows that, CAMG(marketing div) will not. anyway, "CanonEos", do u work at CSPL?

Status
Not open for further replies.