Can I wash filters under running water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtummy

Jan 28, 2005
Hi friends, can i bought some cheapo filters with alot of finger prints on them. Can I wash them with mild detergent? Will it spoil anything?

Nope.

Have been using mild dishwashing detergent to do the drastardly act for more than 10 yeara now.

Just be sure to do a lot of thorough rinsing with fast running water for at least 45 sec to remove dishwashing detergent residue(s) before drying, but please don't do this with sandwiched/ multi-element filters as chemicals and moisture may be trapped in between layers.

All the bst! :cool:

Feinwerkbau said:
Nope.

please don't do this with sandwiched/ multi-element filters as chemicals and moisture may be trapped in between layers.

All the bst! :cool:

Dear Feinwerbau... i dont understand this sentence. Do you mind elaborating this to me? Sorry i am still quite newbie in photography.

I have been wiping and rinsing them this way too. Do not be heavy handed though. If they are not too dirty, I use microfibre cloth.

Wow! So drastic way of cleaning!! Most filters may have some coating on them, may get damaged or destroyed by washing using detergent.

For me, I either use a microfiber cloth to clean or a lenspen. Much easier and faster. Don't need to wait for filter to dry... :lovegrin:

Yes, that's true. It's a drastic way to clean filters, and a heavy hand / harsh detergent may damage the coating on some filters.

But I think the thread starter mentioned "cheapo" filters.

i feel whether cheapo or not, i don't think there's the need to wash them under running water. use lens cleaning solution should be more than enough. Running them under water may (most likely WILL) trap water between the rim and glass (it's called capillary action) and for it to dry up naturally may take up to days or months, unless you want sun them, but without g'tee that it'll work. So you'll risk having a moisture releaser on the front of your lens. Promoting fungal growth.

Feinwerkbau said:
Yes, that's true. It's a drastic way to clean filters, and a heavy hand / harsh detergent may damage the coating on some filters.

But I think the thread starter mentioned "cheapo" filters.

Well, if they'r dat cheapo.. throw them away!! hahaa.. wad's the point of washing the filters with detergent and damage the coating?? Might as well throw them away rite? If want to clean and use them, use the lenspen is much faster and cleaner.. =)

Lenspen cost about $10 at most major camera shops. :thumbsup:

Detergent and water cheaper! :bsmilie:

Anyway, I forgot to mention gentle blowing with hair dryer on low heat or cool setting to dry out filters.

And yes, I have already agreed that it's a harsh way, and that one can do damage.

Do whatever one is comfortable with, that's what I'd say.

CHEERS! ;)

But what if somebody just left an oily finger print on your filter? I tried using microfibre to clean it up but the oil just spread further and further....

bigtummy said:
But what if somebody just left an oily finger print on your filter? I tried using microfibre to clean it up but the oil just spread further and further....

use lenspen.. it works.. I used it to quick clean fingerprints all the time. :lovegrin:

if you absolutely must wash your filter, use a wetting agent (ilford makes it). It is essentially similar to detergent although ilford claims you can use it for filters and lens. It works for my filters when i do bother to clean them (hardly). Never washed a lens before! On the other hand, just buy a new filter lah. If u use a SMC one, washing will prob affect the coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.