can i use the D70 kit lens on a film SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

can i use the kit lens from D70 (18-70mm) on my film SLR (F55) ?

since it is a DX lens, does it mean film SLR cannot take it ?

if film SLR can take this lens, do i get true 18mm ?

thx

u get a true 18mm as with the DSLR in terms of perspective...

but on film u will get a round circle with the photo in every shot...
if u scan the film and crop out the photo in the circle...u still get a field of view of 28mm haha...

cheers...

can work on f55 anot i not sure ....muz check ya camera manual or the lens manual or something..

That's because DX lenses are catered to DX sensors which is smaller than film size. I believe DX sensors are 12x24mm right? Film is 24x36mm, therefore the image that you captured would appear in the middle of ur film. With the edges not capturing anything...

Correct me if I'm wrong heehee :D Newbie also... :)

I would also like to know, why don't you give it a try and let us know.
Don't forget to post picture.

No, DX lenses TECHNICALLY CANNOT be reused on film SLRs.

The sensor is only 50% of the film size, DX lenses have their glasses cut only to cover the sensor size, thus if you tried to use it on film SLRs you get the coverage of only the sensor size 50% and not a full frame.

To test, simple, just place the DX len into the mount of your film SLR and view through the viewfinder, you'll understand what I mean.

Regarding 12-24DX and 17-55DX however, I understand at 18mm and 28mm respectively it can be used on a film SLR but technically speaking it's not a full coverage starting from 12/17, thus I term it as "TECHNICALLY CANNOT" be used...

Status
Not open for further replies.