Can I use my Tokina 12-24mm on a FF Canon Camera

Narutosan

Nov 28, 2010
Hi,
I just need an info if I can still use my Tokina 12-24 on a FF canon camera. Anyway, im planning to get a 17-40mm for my FF, but just curious if I can still use my tokina.

Thanks,
Narutosan.

What mount is your tokina? EF or EF-S? That will already answer your question.

This is the only info I got.The Nikon mount AT-X 124 PRO DX II has a built-in AF motor drive. The motor inside the lens was loaded onto the Nikon mount specification anew. The AF operates smoothly and quietly due to a DC motor that uses a new AF control gear assembly. With the built-in motor, the lens can be used in AF mode with the Nikon D60 and D40 and other silent wave bodies. The Canon version of the lens already has a built-in AF motor and will benefit from the improved multi-coating. The optical system of original AT-X 124 PRO DX won awards for its sharpness world-wide. This design was maintained in the AT-X 124 PRO DX II and improved with the introduction of new multi-coating_ system. The new multi-coating helps reduce reflections that can cause flare and ghosting even more than in the AT-X 124 PRO DX. The AT-X 124 PRO DX II features the one-touch focus clutch mechanism. _ To use the one-touch focus clutch mechanism, move the focus ring forward, towards the front of the lens, for AF or back for MF. This allows for a fast and easy manual over-ride in difficult lighting situations. Digital single-lens reflex DX lens_ dedicated to digital SLR cameras with APS-C sized sensors.

Isn't tokina 12-24mm meant for cropped body? Unlike it's 11-16 counter part, I remember vignette will only starts disappearing at 18mm and beyond.

i know its for a cropped body, but can I still use it for a FF body?

[...] Digital single-lens reflex DX lens_ dedicated to digital SLR cameras with APS-C sized sensors.

It really helps to read properly and down to the last sentence. If a lens is made for APS-C sensors then the image circle produced by the lens is not able to cover FF sensors, hence you will get heavy mechanical vignetting (like tunnel vision) when using on any full frame / film body.
Secondly, the name of many Tokina lenses has 'DX' inside, that is a pointer not to miss. All DX lenses have an additional remark if you look at the tab with the specs:
*The lens is designed for Digital cameras with APS-C sized CMOS and CCD sensors (DX) , not designed for cameras with Full Frame sensors (FX).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, im asking this because a friend of mine is using Tokina11-16 but he can use it though vignetting will appear most likely below 15, so does it means I can use it also but should be above 16 to avoid vignetting right? Sorry for my question, not really familiar with these lenses, worrying that it might damage my FF camera if I put in my Tokina lens, just taking precautions.

Narutosan said:
Thanks for the info, im asking this because a friend of mine is using Tokina11-16 but he can use it though vignetting will appear most likely below 15, so does it means I can use it also but should be above 16 to avoid vignetting right? Sorry for my question, not really familiar with these lenses, worrying that it might damage my FF camera if I put in my Tokina lens, just taking precautions.

Is the Tokina EF mount of EF-S mount?

I really had no idea if EF or EF-S mount, Tokina website does not say anything about EF or EF-S, though it says it is not designed for FF.

Canon EF-S lenses are made so they CANNOT mechanically be fit onto an EF body. This isn't necessarily true with 3rd party lenses. I used to have a Sigma 17-70 that fit onto my old Canon d60 (crop body but with full-frame mirror, so EF-S lenses could not fit). Some photogs have successfully modded their EF-S lens to fit EF bodies.

You might want to try and judge the amount of vignetting yourself. But be careful about your mirror clearance i.e. if the lens rear element intrudes too far into the body, the mirror might hit it when it flips up.

Narutosan said:
I really had no idea if EF or EF-S mount, Tokina website does not say anything about EF or EF-S, though it says it is not designed for FF.

Then you better check, reason is what Edwin Francis mentioned

Canon EF-S lenses are made so they CANNOT mechanically be fit onto an EF body. This isn't necessarily true with 3rd party lenses. I used to have a Sigma 17-70 that fit onto my old Canon d60 (crop body but with full-frame mirror, so EF-S lenses could not fit). Some photogs have successfully modded their EF-S lens to fit EF bodies.

You might want to try and judge the amount of vignetting yourself. But be careful about your mirror clearance i.e. if the lens rear element intrudes too far into the body, the mirror might hit it when it flips up.

FOrget about modding EF-S lenses to fit Non-crop bodies... I tried that with my 10-22 to fit my 1D3, yes I get 12mm wide angle but the lens simply does not have the resolving power for larger sensors. The result is even worse than 17-40L's corners.

To be clear, I didn't mean to try modding the lens. The Tokina (a crop mount, but perhaps not technically an EF-S mount lens) might be able to fit without mods. Whether mirror clearance is adequate, or the image quality is good enough, I can't say.

FOrget about modding EF-S lenses to fit Non-crop bodies... I tried that with my 10-22 to fit my 1D3, yes I get 12mm wide angle but the lens simply does not have the resolving power for larger sensors. The result is even worse than 17-40L's corners.

Yeah, thats what i heard also about the mirror hitting something when it flips. So i'd rather not use it first if its not really clear. I will wait for my 17-40mm and use it on my FF cam. Thanks guys for your help.

Hi Narutosan, there's been a lot of misinformation and wild guesses being thrown about here.

The fact of the matter is, unlike Canon's EF-S mount... from my experience all the Sigma and Tokina lenses designed for crop can be used on FF or 1.3x crop. The only 2 issues you need to decide for yourself is, what is your personal tolerance for vignetting? That would determine the wide end of the zoom you intend to use. Secondly, some lenses do not have enough resolving power, but real world usage may be acceptable especially if you're posting to FB or Flickr.

Hi Narutosan, there's been a lot of misinformation and wild guesses being thrown about here.

The fact of the matter is, unlike Canon's EF-S mount... from my experience all the Sigma and Tokina lenses designed for crop can be used on FF or 1.3x crop. The only 2 issues you need to decide for yourself is, what is your personal tolerance for vignetting? That would determine the wide end of the zoom you intend to use. Secondly, some lenses do not have enough resolving power, but real world usage may be acceptable especially if you're posting to FB or Flickr.

not true. From your experience then, i wonder how many camera mirror have you broke?

Each 3rd party brand has their own code for lenes made for crop or FF. You can always use fullframe lenses on crop sensors camera but NOT the other way round. Will it fit or not is something else, should it fit, hitting the shutter button will have you make a trip to Canon.

Sigma
Fullframe - DG
Crop - DC

Tokina
Fullframe - DX, FX

These brand has their own code for other things but means the same thing such as OS for IS, HSM for Ultrasonic etc etc.

not true. From your experience then, i wonder how many camera mirror have you broke?

Each 3rd party brand has their own code for lenes made for crop or FF. You can always use fullframe lenses on crop sensors camera but NOT the other way round. Will it fit or not is something else, should it fit, hitting the shutter button will have you make a trip to Canon.

Sigma
Fullframe - DG
Crop - DC

Tokina
Fullframe - DX, FX

These brand has their own code for other things but means the same thing such as OS for IS, HSM for Ultrasonic etc etc.

actually it depends on the design.
Flickr: Discussing 5D mk II & Sigma 10-20mm in Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

The Sigma 10-20 fits on the 5D, so I don't see why it wouldn't mount on the 5DmkII. Although it's classified as crop lens, the elements are NOT in the way of the mirror (as they would be with Canon EF-S lenses - the Canon 10-22, for example, cannot be mounted).

HOWEVER, it does vignette pretty severely below about 15mm or so.

still, i think its pointless using a crop lens on a FF.

sample of the sigma at 10mm, on a fullframe film camera
4852703438_1b8cdb0e05_m.jpg

Flickr: Discussing Sigma 10-20mm with Canon 5D???? in Sigma 10-20mm

Tokina on a 5dmk2
3139155013_0e5b72888f_b.jpg

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=30502282

its good to note that EFS cannot be used, because it extends into the camera and is closer to the sensor. it seems like the other designs do not do so, which just ends up in a vignette.

Last edited:

Sigma
Fullframe - DG
Crop - DC

Tokina
Fullframe - DX, FX

As allenleonhart has also shown with his photos, your information is incorrect. I have not broken any mirrors.

I think you are confusing Canon's EF-S mount with the EF mounts that all 3rd party makers use. In the former, the EF-S baffle will hit the mirror box, though the baffle can easily be removed. In the latter, it will not hit the mirror box but has the 2 drawbacks which I have mentioned.

A lesser known fact is that these 2 drawbacks are almost not apparent on Canon's 1.3x crop. In most cases, vignetting here is more tolerable and for 3rd party zoom lens more of the zoom range can be used. Resolving power is almost not an issue with a body like Canon's 1D3 due to the 10.1mp sensor. Canon of course will not make this fact public, so that people will buy their L lenses instead... and I suppose people who can afford a 1D will want to invest in L lenses anyway.