Can I use my 37" LCD TV as monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
Just like to know more about the feasibility of connecting my PC DVI output (using DVI-HDMI convertor) to HDMI input of my 37" 1920x1080 Grundig LCD monitor.

But since my GeForce 6800 graphic card only support resolution like 1920 x 1200, so will part of the side be trimmed off?

Though I heard of something know as powerstrip which can change the graphic card resolution according to what I need. I just like to know has anybody done this before, and how's the output result like colour sharpness etc.

should not b a prob. my frd tried doing it w/ my wide screen CRT TV. res too low so d idea got canned. :bsmilie:

SHOW OFF! :sticktong ;p

I don't think it is wise to use LCD TV as a monitor. Get a normal LCD for PC use, don't waste electricity. ;)

Normally TV are interlaced. No idea if LCD TV is the same or not.

Normally TV are interlaced. No idea if LCD TV is the same or not.

720p and 1080p TV are progressive. 720i/1080i are interlaced. Make sure you get the progressive version for IQ.

No problem about it, LCD TV is capable of displaying both interlaced and de-interlaced video.

SHOW OFF! :sticktong ;p

I don't think it is wise to use LCD TV as a monitor. Get a normal LCD for PC use, don't waste electricity. ;)
Not showing off, but want to use the TV bigger screen to show photos to more visitors or family members and they can sit on the sofa and watch. Instead of the crowd stand around the computer monitor :sweat:

Not showing off, but want to use the TV bigger screen to show photos to more visitors or family members and they can sit on the sofa and watch. Instead of the crowd stand around the computer monitor :sweat:

bro, go get the sony media thingy free with a Alpha 100 cam... :thumbsup:

720p and 1080p TV are progressive. 720i/1080i are interlaced. Make sure you get the progressive version for IQ.
The Grundig TV menu show it support 1080P (but no DVI port, so have to resort in HDMI input, although have PC VGA port but only support 640x480 resolution).

Read on the internet that some claim it work well, some don't, mainly facing issues like whether the TV support the resolution, clarity, overscan 60MHz instead of TV normal 50Mhz, progressive/interlace, text clarity, incompatible input ports (component, HDMI, DVI) issue.

I think really have to get a DVI-HDMI convertor to try up then will know. :think:

bro, go get the sony media thingy free with a Alpha 100 cam... :thumbsup:
I thought of that also, but don't know what resolution does it support, whether can fully utilise 1080P? :think:

Also partly, I will be likely to ge the new coming Sony DSLR (may be during promotion time also), so no point getting it twice :sweat: .

I thought of that also, but don't know what resolution does it support, whether can fully utilise 1080P? :think:

Also partly, I will be likely to ge the new coming Sony DSLR (may be during promotion time also), so no point getting it twice :sweat: .

can give it to me if u dun like, i seriously do not mind helping you keep it... :devil:

You can but I don't think it is a good idea. It is really too huge and it is not 'normal'. I tried but i don't like it. Mine has a normal vga/rgb connector behind the lcd tv, so i just need to plug it in. Don't need any converter and stuff.

seem like some have try it in xtremeplace forum, but has horizontal overscan issue :sweat:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=44519.15
Just an update, finally manage to do it over the weekend on both VGA and HDMI connection, but indeed did face the overscan issue, part of the left and right screen are over projected and won't show on the screen.

But the TV screen do look good after calibration, and with good details like 1920 x 1080, good for showing photos to friends and relative. :)

The Grundig TV menu show it support 1080P (but no DVI port, so have to resort in HDMI input, although have PC VGA port but only support 640x480 resolution).
Surprisingly on VGA connection, the TV seem to be able to support 640x480 resolution though. Wonder why???

You can but I don't think it is a good idea. It is really too huge and it is not 'normal'. I tried but i don't like it. Mine has a normal vga/rgb connector behind the lcd tv, so i just need to plug it in. Don't need any converter and stuff.
I tried it, so far so good, it does seem big to view photos, but good to show to my friends from viewing distance like 6-7 feets away. Definitely much better than all squeeze and look at the small notebook screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.