Can I use D SLR to scan slide using a Slide Duplicator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
Can I use a D SLR to scan slide using a Slide Duplicator ?

Have anyone (D30 or D1x users) try the below equipment before ? How is the quality like ? better than slide scanner ?

http://www.camerastore.com/dl_cat_A/-A13_slidecop.html

DL-1565.JPG

DLC Slide Duplicator
A complete, ready to use, duplicator with many creative features and capabilities. Adjustable slide holder for easy placement. Black anodized aluminum with knurled grip. Mounts to camera using DLC "T" mount adapters. Fixed at 1:1 direct copy.

DL-1561.JPG

DLC Zoom Slide Duplicator
Similar to above, but features a zoom lens which adjusts from 1:1 to 2:1 magnification. Allows for in-camera cropping. Adjustable slide holder for easy placement. Black anodized aluminum with knurled grip and zoom adjuster. Mounts to camera using DLC "T" mount adapters.

Should be doable. YSLee uses the Nikon ES-E28 Slide Copying Attachment on his Coolpix to "scan" his negs and slides. Works the same way. But don't expect top end quality of course.

Regards
CK

I believe Streetshooter has done it with a macro lens and a normal lightbox on his D30 before. Just do a search. Very acceptable results to me...

..NuTs..

My experience with something similar - Nikon's ES-E28 slide copying adaptor for the Coolpix cameras - Works fine for normal contrast slides. Doesn't work well for high contrast/high saturation stuff. Quite a bit of USM required.

Regards
CK

How about scanning negatives this way and invert the colours in PS?

Has anyone tried, and how's the results?

- Roy

Originally posted by roygoh
How about scanning negatives this way and invert the colours in PS?

Has anyone tried, and how's the results?

- Roy

dont forget that u got an orange cast on negatives

Originally posted by mervlam
dont forget that u got an orange cast on negatives

Oh, I did not know about that. Can the orange cast be correctable?

Oh, I did not know about that. Can the orange cast be correctable?

Yes, the orange cast is correctable. In fact, even film scanners scan with the orange cast. It's then corrected in the software, but it's not an easy process to get the colour right. I recommend using Vuescan to do the colour correction as doing it in Photoshop is considerably tougher.

I tried using my digital camera (S602) to scan negatives, but didn't quite like the results due to corner softness (lens problem). So bought a film scanner in the end.

Originally posted by reflecx
Yes, the orange cast is correctable. In fact, even film scanners scan with the orange cast. It's then corrected in the software, but it's not an easy process to get the colour right. I recommend using Vuescan to do the colour correction as doing it in Photoshop is considerably tougher.

So if I photograph a negative using a DSLR, and invert the colours in PS, the orange cast becomes a blue cast?

Alternatively, if the orange cast is close to the orange cast of tungsten lights, can I add a blue filter while photographing the negative to remove some if not all of the orange cast?

If this works I will try out Streetshooter's DIY slide duplicator and start digitizing my negatives this way.

- Roy

So if I photograph a negative using a DSLR, and invert the colours in PS, the orange cast becomes a blue cast?

Alternatively, if the orange cast is close to the orange cast of tungsten lights, can I add a blue filter while photographing the negative to remove some if not all of the orange cast?

If this works I will try out Streetshooter's DIY slide duplicator and start digitizing my negatives this way.

- Roy

You might want to try WB-ing the camera on a blank orange frame. Never tried, might work!

regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
You might want to try WB-ing the camera on a blank orange frame. Never tried, might work!

regards
CK

Good idea.

I should start working on the adaptor as soon as possible!

regards
CK

might go out of the WB range... quite orange.. but better than nothing, cos this orange might kill the dynamic range...

OK. Tried quickly using my CP995 and a slide viewer, using my monitor screen (white patch generated in PS) as the light source.

I was able to set custom WB using a section of blank film.

The image after inversion still has a blue-green cast and compressed dynamic range. Tried a few adjustments in PS but still could not get the colours to look right.

Decided to give up and go back to the good old Acer ScanWit for scanning negatives.

- Roy

OK. Tried quickly using my CP995 and a slide viewer, using my monitor screen (white patch generated in PS) as the light source.

I was able to set custom WB using a section of blank film.

The image after inversion still has a blue-green cast and compressed dynamic range. Tried a few adjustments in PS but still could not get the colours to look right.

Decided to give up and go back to the good old Acer ScanWit for scanning negatives.

- Roy

CP995? Then try this.

Regards
CK

CP995? Then try this.

Regards
CK

Thanks for the link!

Seems like I did the right thing to use my monitor as the light source, but I did not realise the trick of tweaking the screen colour to offset the orange cast.

OK...off to do more experiments tonight.

- Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.